49ers Trade Their Punter for a 7th round pick

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TAB420":30v45k5d said:
It's also being reported that the 7th round pick that the 9'ers acquired from the Browns just retired..... :D

"Being reported" meaning you ripped off your post from the second post in the webzone thread from minutes after the trade first leaked and didnt attribute it?

That kind of "being reported"? :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ilt1wnx said:
TAB420":3ilt1wnx said:
It's also being reported that the 7th round pick that the 9'ers acquired from the Browns just retired..... :D

"Being reported" meaning you ripped off your post from the second post in the webzone thread from minutes after the trade first leaked and didnt attribute it?

That kind of "being reported"? :)

Well if it was from the zone it must be true correct :p

49ers fans are serious about things like this, we wouldn't want to think a Seahawks fan scooped them now would we ?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Only noteworthy because of TAB's screeds about how useless and awful the webzone is...

;)

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ TAB420 .... you sly devil.

Using the webzone like that as if it were your own personal bait shop. :lol:

TAB420

Reaction score
Jville":1bg1yb8y said:

Using the webzone like that as if it were your own personal bait shop.

I got it via Facebook, but I did steal it....

Jville

Reaction score
TAB420":1vqfy289 said:
Jville":1vqfy289 said:

Very resourceful.

That's a tactic that has helped launch many an enterprise.

Good Show.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":ibe1osbp said:

:lol: So true...... and the usual suspects fall into the trap everytime. Got to give them credit for being so consistent though. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sad to see Lee go, but writing was really on the wall when Pinion was drafted. As Popeye said, I'm surprised they got anything at all. I thought Lee would lose out in camp and they'd let him go and get nothing.

Niners have been going younger at ST positions. They let LS Brian Jennings go a few years ago after HE was the longest tenured 49er.

Lee was a great punter, but he has fallen off a bit the last few years. His punting average has declined in each of his last three seasons.

Also helps ALOT that Pinion can handle long field goals/kickoffs for Dawson as well.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":27k3t4i8 said:
Jville":27k3t4i8 said:

:lol: So true...... and the usual suspects fall into the trap everytime. Got to give them credit for being so consistent though. :th2thumbs:

Ain't that the truth.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We will just have to see how Pinion turns out . . . Andy Lee was pretty steady, ranked in the Top 10 in punting every year by PFF, and was ranked sixth in the league in gross average (46.80) last year. In the almighty words of Rick Neuheisel, "punting is winning!"

49ers saved a little over a million dollars with this draft choice/trade, but they effectively moved from a 2015 5th Round pick (which they used on Pinion) to a 2016 7th Round pick (in exchange for Lee).

If I were a 49er fan, I would not feel that comfortable with this move. But as a Seahawk fan, I like the uncertainty it creates for them. Hopefully Tyler Lockett gets an opportunity to take some of those rookie punts to the house.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ez3iffr said:
We will just have to see how Pinion turns out . . . Andy Lee was pretty steady, ranked in the Top 10 in punting every year by PFF, and was ranked sixth in the league in gross average (46.80) last year. In the almighty words of Rick Neuheisel, "punting is winning!"

49ers saved a little over a million dollars with this draft choice/trade, but they effectively moved from a 2015 5th Round pick (which they used on Pinion) to a 2016 7th Round pick (in exchange for Lee).

If I were a 49er fan, I would not feel that comfortable with this move. But as a Seahawk fan, I like the uncertainty it creates for them. Hopefully Tyler Lockett gets an opportunity to take some of those rookie punts to the house.

Actually, it was a 2017 7th round pick in exchange for Lee. Check that out on the value chart.

Since you seem so comfortable with numbers, I put it to you. Are there still humanoids running the show down there. Or, could it be running via software programs? Are the 49ers still a football team? Or has that program been reduced to so many zeros and ones?

Food for thought.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1rfwq7cz said:
Jville":1rfwq7cz said:

Breaking News: Invasive Species Identified!
............ Astyanax Fasciatus Mexicanus

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":os00cz96 said:
hawknation2015":os00cz96 said:

Actually, it was a 2017 7th round pick in exchange for Lee. Check that out on the value chart.

Since you seem so comfortable with numbers, I put it to you. Are there still humanoids running the show down there. Or, could it be running via software programs? Are the 49ers still a football team? Or has that program been reduced to so many zeros and ones?

Food for thought.

Pinion is also almost 12 years younger and playing on a rookie contract. I've never seen the guy kick so I can't even profess to have any idea how this will work out, but they liked him enough to draft him in round 5 and let a Pro Bowl Punter walk.

Jville

Reaction score
The continuing saga of firings, purges, and defections ...... so who is next?

That list of returning incumbents has really shrunk?

I guess we'll find out next Friday if there is more to come.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":lme6xl3w said:
Jville":lme6xl3w said:
hawknation2015":lme6xl3w said:

Food for thought.

Pinion is also almost 12 years younger and playing on a rookie contract. I've never seen the guy kick so I can't even profess to have any idea how this will work out, but they liked him enough to draft him in round 5 and let a Pro Bowl Punter walk.

Maybe. But the number of punters and kickers who go undrafted and make it in the NFL is high enough that you can't tell me the Niners couldn't have had their pick of the litter if they hadn't drafted him. At the very least, a team that was suffering from the number of losses they have had in this offseason surely could have found more value for a 5th round pick than at a position that was already a strength for them.

Unless, they were worried Lee's aged foot would fall off from all the punting they expect to do this season. :stirthepot:

rideaducati

Reaction score
Maulbert":1qwxq6wg said:
Unless, they were worried Lee's aged foot would fall off from all the punting they expect to do this season. :stirthepot:

With all the punting they're going to do this season, maybe they should have kept two punters. With only keeping one of them, Marv and company will have something to crow about this year because their punter is going to lead the league in punt yardage.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
TAB420":g3ofw5n6 said:
Jville":g3ofw5n6 said:

Ya borrowed it.....are ya gonna give it back???? some day?? smirk. :twisted:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we have seen what happens when you cut ties before a Kicker or a Punter has seen the live fire of a NFL game, it's much faster, with all the new players coverage and speed of the rush along with how fast he has to get the ball off and his steps. Placement, hang time, and then yardage. When your a team that the 49ers appear to be a Punter is the defenses best friend as well as the safety net of the offense.

The reason so many punters and kickers have long careers is because it's hard to replace them with good consistent mentally tough players.

Punters and Kickers are often playing will into their late 30's and some into their 40's, You say he seems to have lost something the last few years, changing stadiums, field position, types of Punts needed, or a direction from his coaches to hang more and give coverage time and less return yardage etc. You have to admit a lot of stuff went wrong and changed the last couple of seasons in S.F/S.C.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":1z1f77h4 said:
Well we have seen what happens when you cut ties before a Kicker or a Punter has seen the live fire of a NFL game, it's much faster, with all the new players coverage and speed of the rush along with how fast he has to get the ball off and his steps. Placement, hang time, and then yardage. When your a team that the 49ers appear to be a Punter is the defenses best friend as well as the safety net of the offense.

The reason so many punters and kickers have long careers is because it's hard to replace them with good consistent mentally tough players.

Punters and Kickers are often playing will into their late 30's and some into their 40's, You say he seems to have lost something the last few years, changing stadiums, field position, types of Punts needed, or a direction from his coaches to hang more and give coverage time and less return yardage etc. You have to admit a lot of stuff went wrong and changed the last couple of seasons in S.F/S.C.

But can he pass the ball???
:twisted: :stirthepot:

TAB420

Reaction score
But can he pass the ball???
No...There can be only one.