49ers vs Rams

James in PA

Reaction score
Jimmy G's current and even former teammates such as Sherm seem to get defensive about the narrative that he's a liability. He seems like a nice guy and by all accounts he's a great teammate, but it seems like they are trying to convince themselves that he can take them all the way. He clearly can't. Last night was classic Jimmy G. He's a career backup. Nothing more. Stop trying to make him into something he's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stud

Reaction score
James in PA":1ekxl8i8 said:
Jimmy G's current and even former teammates such as Sherm seem to get defensive about the narrative that he's a liability. He seems like a nice guy and by all accounts he's a great teammate, but it seems like they are trying to convince themselves that he can take them all the way. He clearly can't. Last night was classic Jimmy G. He's a career backup. Nothing more. Stop trying to make him into something he's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Yesterday, both defenses played pretty good. The difference in the end was Stafford is a top 10 QB and Jimmy G isn't. It literally was a 3 point difference. You need a QB to win in this day and age.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That final month for the Niners has been damn impressive.
They were down 17-0 to the Rams and won. Then they go and win at Dallas and GB. They def. got hot at the right time. I see them as a really well coached team. But your point about Shanahan and blowing leads makes a lot of sense.

nutluck

Reaction score
Stud":81u3o7vk said:
As a 49ers fan, I find it funny and iconic that Jimmy G's last pass as a 49ers is a horrible f-----g interception to lose us the game. Wow, those last 2 drives were bad.

With that said, it's pretty clear Shanahan doesn't know how to coach properly when he has a decent sized lead in the 4th. From the Super bowl two years ago to this game, his inability to coach to the end is a clear weakness. People forget the 49ers almost blew a 41-17 lead to Detroit in week 1 in the final 3:30 of the game. Yesterday, those 2 stupid 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 2 play calls at mid field in the 4th were horrendous by our so called "genius". It's crap like that is why he lost this game and the super bowl. He gets too conservative.

I think Shanahan will get the 49ers in the playoffs constantly, but don't think he's good enough to win it. Which is fine I guess. I'd rather get to the playoffs than not, but doesn't mean it's not annoying to see.

I disagree if Trey is just above average QB I think the 9ers will be a threat to go all the way over year for the next few years.

nutluck

Reaction score
Stud":3mmybso5 said:
Yeah I don't mind the Rams. They seem classy. McVay and Shanny have a good relationship and it was cool to see Odell and Deebo embracing. Seems to be a lot of respect. It was the complete opposite of our 2013 NFC championship loss to Seattle where Pete Carroll was acting like a jackass on the side line and Sherman was running his mouth on national TV.

As a Rams and Hawks fan, I have nothing be respect for what the 9er's have done. I honestly think they are just a above average QB away from playing in the SB year in and year out with that roster you guys have. If Trey can come even close to his ceiling it might be the 9er's division for the next few years.

toffee

Reaction score
nutluck":27dmlbsv said:
Stud":27dmlbsv said:
Yeah I don't mind the Rams. They seem classy. McVay and Shanny have a good relationship and it was cool to see Odell and Deebo embracing. Seems to be a lot of respect. It was the complete opposite of our 2013 NFC championship loss to Seattle where Pete Carroll was acting like a jackass on the side line and Sherman was running his mouth on national TV.

As a Rams and Hawks fan, I have nothing be respect for what the 9er's have done. I honestly think they are just a above average QB away from playing in the SB year in and year out with that roster you guys have. If Trey can come even close to his ceiling it might be the 9er's division for the next few years.

9ers so need to call John about Russ.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RE: Lance...

Well now we get to see what the kid has.

He'll be better next for having spent over a year in the offense. No way to know if he'd be better or worse than if he'd played all year, but I severally doubt they'd have been in the NFC Championship game this year.

He'll have had a year to learn the O, learn from Jimmy, work with his teammates, etc. He wasn't thrown to the wolves.

IE, I think he'll have been given an ideal ramp up to getting to play consistently. We'll see if he's a player.

I personally can't wait. :D

I would expect them as a previous poster mentioned to sign another vet backup, preferably one with alot of experience.

flv

Reaction score
As a Rams fan i'm obviously delighted with the result. The Rams were much the better team on the day but still the 49ers almost came away with the win. I offer my sympathies to 49ers fans but such words will sound hollow. Garoppolo is an above-average-to-good QB. The last pass trying to avoid a sack should be ignored.

Next season? Who knows. The Rams, 49ers, and Seahawks, all have limited Draft capital and mediocre cap situations.

Marvin49

Reaction score
flv":1m0divai said:
As a Rams fan i'm obviously delighted with the result. The Rams were much the better team on the day but still the 49ers almost came away with the win. I offer my sympathies to 49ers fans but such words will sound hollow. Garoppolo is an above-average-to-good QB. The last pass trying to avoid a sack should be ignored.

Next season? Who knows. The Rams, 49ers, and Seahawks, all have limited Draft capital and mediocre cap situations.

Jimmy is who he is. He's a good QB but is not and never will be a GREAT QB.

Its the damn Hero Ball that kills him. Whenever he gets in trouble and starts scrambling he tried to be Pat Mahomes and almost invariably throws the ball to a defender. IE, he doesn't play within his ability. He tires to make the play when he should just throw the ball away.

What he's good at is over the middle short to intermediate passing with an uber fast release. He can throw the ball into tight windows...and he has to because defenses don't have to worry much about the perimeter.

Lance expands the field. In a big way. He can make all the throws and has the deep ball. What you lose those is that over the middle short to medium game and that release. Can he do that as well? Can he be consistently accurate? Can he lead the team like Jimmy does?

We'll see.

You also gain the ability to extend the play and pick up first downs on the ground.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
flv":lj8hacm6 said:
The last pass trying to avoid a sack should be ignored.

Why would you ignore one of the key factors that defines who he is as a QB. He is famous for one to two seriously boneheaded plays per game. I was watching the game with my Niners buddy, and when they took the field for their final drive, I looked at him and said, "It's time." That's all I had to say. He knew exactly what I meant, and the likelihood that it was true. It was time for Garoppolo to Garoppolo. He just gave me the finger.

Was anyone really surprised that he made a dumb play on that drive?

You can't compare the cap situation of the Rams (5th worst in the league) to the Seahawks and Niners, who are both in reasonably good shape. None of the three have draft capital.

If the Niners cut Jimmy G, they will have one of the better cap situations in the league. Somewhere in the current top ten. They sold the draft pick farm for Lance, but would likely have space to sign Rodgers to a slightly team friendly deal. That would likely come at the cost of losing Tomlinson. Seahawks have more cap space, but have more holes to fill, IMHO. The Niners have drafted well, and can reap the benefits for a while longer.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3dnrgsg8 said:
flv":3dnrgsg8 said:
The last pass trying to avoid a sack should be ignored.

Why would you ignore one of the key factors that defines who he is as a QB. He is famous for one to two seriously boneheaded plays per game. I was watching the game with my Niners buddy, and when they took the field for their final drive, I looked at him and said, "It's time." That's all I had to say. He knew exactly what I meant, and the likelihood that it was true. It was time for Garoppolo to Garoppolo. He just gave me the finger.

Was anyone really surprised that he made a dumb play on that drive?

You can't compare the cap situation of the Rams (5th worst in the league) to the Seahawks and Niners, who are both in reasonably good shape. None of the three have draft capital.

If the Niners cut Jimmy G, they will have one of the better cap situations in the league. Somewhere in the current top ten. They sold the draft pick farm for Lance, but would likely have space to sign Rodgers to a slightly team friendly deal. That would likely come at the cost of losing Tomlinson. Seahawks have more cap space, but have more holes to fill, IMHO. The Niners have drafted well, and can reap the benefits for a while longer.

I discount the INT as well. I'm not making excuses, but it was third and like 14, about to be 4th and 20 with the season on the line and was just trying to make a desperate play to keep season alive. The game was effectively already over.

To me, the ALMOST INT to Ramsey was FAR, FAR worse. He just does that. if you see him scramble away from the pocket...its INT time. That's what happened in both GB and Dallas. Flushed out of pocket, tries to be a hero, throws the INT. He's not Mahomes. He's not Allen.

He's not that guy.

Its OK not to be that guy. Its not OK to not KNOW you aren't that guy and try those throws anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
Congratulations RedAlice, I stated I would like to see Stafford and Donald win one, Stafford coming out of Purgatory in Detroit to have success is a great story alone and Donald has earned it.

San Francisco, you guys have a good team and played with a lot of heart, someone had to win though, not trash talk it was a great game to watch as a Fan not vested in either team as their favorite.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
When I watch the Niners and Rams I feel jealous of their game planning and schemes cause they are miles ahead of Pete. Might add in roster building / drafting too.

But watching games like yesterday with the mismanaging of time-outs, challenging, and non-aggressiveness on 4th down had me thinking they weren't much better as game day coaches.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1epb23jl said:
When I watch the Niners and Rams I feel jealous of their game planning and schemes cause they are miles ahead of Pete. Might add in roster building / drafting too.

But watching games like yesterday with the mismanaging of time-outs, challenging, and non-aggressiveness on 4th down had me thinking they weren't much better as game day coaches.

Yeah, I had forgotten about those stupid challenges by McVay. Hard to fathom how anyone would have wasted two 2nd half timeouts on challenges that we essentially unwinnable. It's one thing to roll the dice in the first half, but if you throw the flag in the 2nd half of a close game, you'd better be damn sure that it's a slam dunk reversal. 2nd half timeouts are gold, often times the difference between winning and losing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No, you're not supposed to say anything negative about the almighty McVay. He clearly floats in mid-air to the stadium. He does stupid shit all the time. So does Shanahan. But.......people are too busy acting like they are both all time great coaches :roll:

nutluck

Reaction score
Every coach has bad games, every coach makes bad decisions. Just like players.

I like McVay but he does things I don't always agree with. Including several choices in that game.

94Smith

Reaction score
bigskydoc":12xj50uh said:
flv":12xj50uh said:

49ers not likely to cut Jimmy G, he is likely to be traded. If the eagles can get a conditional second (that I believe is a first now) and a 4th rounder for Wentz and the Jets can get a second and a 3rd? for Darnold, the 49ers should at least get a second for him. Doubt 49ers will be in the Rodgers conversation but you never know. Guys like Tomlinson, Bosa and Samuel have contracts coming due. I would prefer they keep their core intact and sign a cheap back up

Seconds don't always pan out, but recent second rounders were Samuel and Warner.

Selling the "draft pick farm" is not so bad when the first rounder is pick number 29. Lance is still pretty raw but he has all the physical skill set you need. He needs to process what he is seeing faster

I really think the injury Garoppolo sustained against the Titans was hurting his overall performance. From that half until the end his numbers were particularly shaky, but also those were some pretty good defenses. Sounds like he is going to have surgery on his thumb now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":1l0bkl6u said:
bigskydoc":1l0bkl6u said:
flv":1l0bkl6u said:

49ers not likely to cut Jimmy G, he is likely to be traded. If the eagles can get a conditional second (that I believe is a first now) and a 4th rounder for Wentz and the Jets can get a second and a 3rd? for Darnold, the 49ers should at least get a second for him. Doubt 49ers will be in the Rodgers conversation but you never know. Guys like Tomlinson, Bosa and Samuel have contracts coming due. I would prefer they keep their core intact and sign a cheap back up

Seconds don't always pan out, but recent second rounders were Samuel and Warner.

Selling the "draft pick farm" is not so bad when the first rounder is pick number 29. Lance is still pretty raw but he has all the physical skill set you need. He needs to process what he is seeing faster

I really think the injury Garoppolo sustained against the Titans was hurting his overall performance. From that half until the end his numbers were particularly shaky, but also those were some pretty good defenses. Sounds like he is going to have surgery on his thumb now.

RE: Draft picks...

As you said, one of those 1sts is now pick #29, so while I hate losing 1's, at least its a low 1. Top 10 would have really sucked.

They will get something in return for Jimmy. Peter King seems to think it could be a 1. I'll believe that when I see it. They got 2 2's for Alex Smith. Its hard to imagine they wouldn't get at least a 2 given what other QBs have gotten on the market, the number of teams who will need a QB, and the lack of quality at the position this year in the draft.

So lets say they get a 2 to replace that one they gave up. Going from a low 1 to a 2 and giving up a compensatory 3 and a 1 two years after the draft (next years) and realizing 24 mil in cap space really ain't bad.

We'll see what happens. The retirements around the league in Pitt and TB may have created better market than we had originally thought, certainly better than last years market.

Stud

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":212elip7 said:
That final month for the Niners has been damn impressive.
They were down 17-0 to the Rams and won. Then they go and win at Dallas and GB. They def. got hot at the right time. I see them as a really well coached team. But your point about Shanahan and blowing leads makes a lot of sense.

Yup. It's one of his coaching weaknesses. I hope he can correct that with time. I cringe whenever we get a decent lead in the 4th.