5 reasons why I am PUMPED!! (GO HAWKS)

byau

Reaction score
A lot of discussion and concern here, I don't know about you, I am seriously PUMPED!

1) Not how you start, how you finish:

Strong first half, terrible third quarter.. each of our units failed us. Offense couldn't stay on the field. Defense let up three touchdowns. Special teams: missed field goal AND PAT. But how did we finish?

ZERO points for the Falcons in the 4th quarter... ZERO including an interception and a couple nasty hits

Two scoring drives for the offense: touchdown and fieldgoal

Special teams: iced it with the field goal. After two consecutive misses (bad snap and a low kick) the unit comes together under a make or break situation and nails it.

2) We beat an elite team

We beat an elite team. Let's get that out there. I think Atlanta is elite.

I would say comfortably the elite teams currently are
NFC: Minnesota, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle
AFC: New England, maybe Pittsburgh?

Every other team has had a bit of a meltdown.

When you play an elite team, you expect that other team to be able to also make plays. You expect a one score victory, you expect a brawl, you expect maybe even just 1 to 4 point victory.

Folks, we beat an elite team. I'll take it

3) Where exactly are the "elite" teams?"

Re-read that list of elite teams and also consider who the pre-season contenders are... From pre-season predictions, who's still up there? Seattle and New England. Think about that. From an objective point of view, New England is THE TEAM for the last 15 years. And now we're up there with them. Even Green Bay has fallen off. And do we even want to mention what's going on with Arizona or Carolina right now? All the other teams have fallen off. In a week 6 where many of the potential contenders lost: Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Panthers, Oakland, Green Bay ... Seattle comes out with a win against an elite team. I'll take it

4) Sherman's tirade

Not sure what some of you guys saw, I saw something similar to Sherman's tirade in the 2014 NFC game against Green Bay and absolutely loved it. These guys are emotional, these guys keep each other in check. Heard this morning on 710 ESPN someone was on the sideline and heard Kam say to Sherman "That was on you!" which started Sherman's tirade. You have to love that someone is wiling to stand up to Sherman. And then the whole group rallying around Sherm and jumping up and down in a shot a few minutes later? Gave me freaking gooseubmps!!!

5) Sherman's still a team player

Against Brandon Marshall, Bobby Wagner had said in a post-game that a few times he and a few others came up to Sherm asking if he was good, if he wanted help, Sherman flat out said no, that he was fine going man-on-man with Brandon. Bobby and the others kept an eye out on Sherm but ultimately left him and Sherm was good on his word

The fact on the last drive you saw Earl coming by to help out (especially notable on the very last play) we can only interpolate that Sherman was humble enough to accept the help on Julio Jones. That tells me that Sherm knows how far to push it, and also knows when to accept help. That's putting the team first

BONUS: PI call

I don't think we got away with anything. I see that call going either way, and when a call can go either way, it's not getting away with anything. (I also think Earl being there, clogging the area, potential of more incidental contact then man to man, both Sherm and Earl going for the ball, helped the non-call happen)

EXTRA BONUS: We still would have won...felt it in my bones

Angry Earl on that hit on the last drive. The D. The noise. And the terrible play calling by the Falcons ..with SO MUCH TIME LEFT why were you bombing it out like that (reminded me of terrible Bevell in SB XLIX). No medium or short yardage attempts? Rushes? Maybe because the D was so locked in that Coach Quinn saw he wouldn't even succeed there and had to take a long shot on Julio (and hope for a PI). Not sure why but I just felt it in my bones: Even if Julio caught that, the Falcons still would have been stopped. Turnover or knocked out of field goal range or something.

EXTRA BONUS BONUS: MNF ...feel it in my bones
not sure why I feel it in my bones that the Jets are going to win by 10 tonight against Arizona .. just because of the way week 6 has gone. I hate to put that out there because I'm usually wrong and am better at predicting games after-the-fact :)

In short... don't know about you, after this game I am SUPER PUMPED!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was excited last night cause this is a game we would have blown last year with the defense allowing Atlanta to march down the field with two minutes left to kick the winning FG.

I LOVED that Pete and Richard decided to let the defense go man to man and send five rushers that last drive daring Atlanta to move the ball. Last year? We go into our cover 3 zone, rush 3 or 4 and drop back into coverage and allow the dink and dunks all the way down the field.

These are the games that matter, when you're not playing your best on either side of the ball and still find ways to make plays and beat good teams.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Yeah, it feels like our boys are the bullies again...delicious. Can anyone get a meme of that?

Hollywood_N_Vine

Reaction score
Great post! I agree with everything that was written.....but I'd like to add one more chilling moment we witnessed......how about when the 12 flag was raised by Seattle's own Duff McKagan while Guns N' Roses was blaring throughout the Clink??? My Lord that place was ROCKING!!!! It literally gave me goosebumps!!! Betcha them Falcons players were thinking, "Damn....that's cool....and...Damn...this place is hella LOUD!!!". A little intimidating one must assume. It reminded me of when Randy Johnson came in from the bullpen during Game 5 of the ALDS back in 1995 with "Welcome To the Jungle" blaring back in the KingDome. Great moment.

That's all I got.......Go Hawks!