5th round, Pick #147, Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland

pcbball12

Reaction score
TheWebHead":29d10fli said:
Don't like this pick, seeing it apparently required a 2017 4th to the AFC evil empire. Wasn't projected by anyone this high, more like 7th.. so let him come to you.
It amazes me that people still continue with this line of thinking. Where media projects prospects to go is vastly different than where teams have them graded and projected to go. Every year it is the same thing. Could they have had him later or at their original pick....maybe. But, we will never know and I think John is pretty savvy at knowing a guys value when it pertains to other teams, he has a great track record with it. I doubt he traded up just to trade up.

Ruminator

Reaction score
They were right -- the 2016 draft is loaded in a number of positions. We got someone in the 5th who might have been gone by the 3rd or 4th in a typical year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":4h66iwlm said:
WIth Jack Allen,C and Shawn Oakman, DE still available, I thought they were trading up to grab one of them. I think Jefferson could have been there at their comp pick.

Oakman is in some potential serious trouble, don't be surprised if he isn't picked.

TwilightError

Reaction score
ZornwasaleftY":1lvji81e said:
It's a line from reservoir dogs ...

"Let me tell you what Like a Virgin is about ..."

In case u were wondering.

:2:

Classic Tarantino. I like the guy already!

McGruff

Reaction score
CPHawk":vj0q1opl said:
hawkfan68":vj0q1opl said:
WIth Jack Allen,C and Shawn Oakman, DE still available, I thought they were trading up to grab one of them. I think Jefferson could have been there at their comp pick.

Oakman is in some potential serious trouble, don't be surprised if he isn't picked.

Not only will he not be picked. He won't even be signed. Not unless and until the legal stuff is cleared up, and depending on the outcome, possibly never.

Cad

Reaction score
I'm all for anything to help out the pass rush. For all the vaunted personnel on the D-Line, we were so frustrating last season not being able to finish the deal; how many QBs tore us apart when the game was on the line?

With that said, I'd like to also see at least one more O-Line, and don't we still need CB help?

McGruff

Reaction score
We are loaded at CB, but I would be surprised if we didn't add a CB or Safety at some point. We always do.

vonstout

Reaction score
Yeah, we always pick a DB in the later rounds of the draft. I'm hoping OL and DB with the next two picks if there is someone of value at the pick.

vonstout

Reaction score
McGruff":3a7u9x7i said:
We are loaded at CB, but I would be surprised if we didn't add a CB or Safety at some point. We always do.

I don't know that we are loaded at CB. We have bodies, but I don't know that we have a quality #2 CB. Lane is a great slot guy and we have several bodies that are more #3 guys, but our pass D wasn't nearly as good last year. ESPN keeps flashing up that we had 5 lost games that we had the lead in going into the 4th Q. Hopefully that gets fixed this year.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
vonstout":3mblrmme said:
McGruff":3mblrmme said:

I don't know that we are loaded at CB. We have bodies, but I don't know that we have a quality #2 CB. Lane is a great slot guy and we have several bodies that are more #3 guys, but our pass D wasn't nearly as good last year. ESPN keeps flashing up that we had 5 lost games that we had the lead in going into the 4th Q. Hopefully that gets fixed this year.

I think Stanley Jean-Baptiste is going to surprise a lot of people. Tye Smith got a redshirt year. Lane can play inside or out.

I think the Hawks like what they have to work with.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lane is the best outside cover corner we've ever had opposite Sherman. The fact that he's our best slot guy doesn't make him a bad outside corner.

Shead proved himself more than capable. Simon is capable depending on matchups. Browner is capable. Burley is a good slot guy. Smith and Jean Baptiste are good developmental prospects. We are as deep at that position as we are anywhere else on the team.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
This draft is interesting. Jefferson is a guy I started looking at about a month ago. One of several players. But, I liked his solid personal life and immediately thought this could be a guy the Hawks like to scout. I was a bit apprehensive to post about a couple of players b/c there is quite an adherence to SPARQ and other methods that are beloved on this board. I'm not against those, but one risks ridicule for suggesting football players that don't "fit the Seahawks" perceived draft profile. As much as I post on .net, I often hold opinions to myself.

I was also looking at Prosise, Odhiambo and Vannett. I didn't include Jefferson in my mock draft b/c I even though I thought he could be a possible target, more thought he was a late rounder or maybe even UDFA. Probably the only one I thought they'd actually draft is Odhiambo, so not at all saying I knew these would be our picks. Just talking about the players that the Seahawks would even consider. Only so many picks, so it's tough to prove how "right" or "wrong" we are as we evaluate. But, this draft is proving to me that the Hawks do not rely on SPARQ, but certainly use it as an assessment tool.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
vin.couve12":14fyiq5p said:
Reminds me a bit of Fletcher Cox.
Whoa, that would be quite something if he performs in that stratosphere. Coming from you, that makes me even more excited to see what he brings to the team.

kf3339

Reaction score
We needed a DT who can rush the passer. Check. We gave up little in trade. Check. We get even better this year. Check.

What is not to like.

kf3339

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1wc9lv87 said:
This draft is interesting. Jefferson is a guy I started looking at about a month ago. One of several players. But, I liked his solid personal life and immediately thought this could be a guy the Hawks like to scout. I was a bit apprehensive to post about a couple of players b/c there is quite an adherence to SPARQ and other methods that are beloved on this board. I'm not against those, but one risks ridicule for suggesting football players that don't "fit the Seahawks" perceived draft profile. As much as I post on .net, I often hold opinions to myself.

I was also looking at Prosise, Odhiambo and Vannett. I didn't include Jefferson in my mock draft b/c I even though I thought he could be a possible target, more thought he was a late rounder or maybe even UDFA. Probably the only one I thought they'd actually draft is Odhiambo, so not at all saying I knew these would be our picks. Just talking about the players that the Seahawks would even consider. Only so many picks, so it's tough to prove how "right" or "wrong" we are as we evaluate. But, this draft is proving to me that the Hawks do not rely on SPARQ, but certainly use it as an assessment tool.

Why do you care about other posters opinions? You have just as much right to your thoughts as anyone else.

Next year just post your opinions and to hell with anyone who doesn't agree. I do and could care less what others may think.

CPHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":k1brp6w1 said:

Only loaded if they stay healthy, and outside of Sherman none of the others have shown they can play a full 16 games. New need a corner. If not in the draft then in a trade or wait for cuts.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I take this guy as my adopt a rookie. He is from my alma mater. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. Sounds like a guy will and able to be coached up. Perfect for us.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I don't like the fact that we are letting the Patriots do what we should be trying to do (trade a pick this year for a better one next year) but I like that we keep adding beef.

It all starts in the trenches and there's no doubt the Hawks are addressing that.