7th round, Pick #243, Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3m8lui27 said:
Erebus":3m8lui27 said:
hawknation2016":3m8lui27 said:
This strikes me as one of the weirder picks in the draft because of our depth at WR. He could be a nice red zone target, but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. This is a likely practice squad acquisition, IMO, with room for future growth and development.

I don't think his path to the roster is that difficult. Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, and Kearse have four spots locked down. Depending on how many WRs we carry, he should only have to beat out one or both of Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith.

I guess it depends on whether they want to carry more than five receivers. I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith, who is quicker, more explosive, and has an even better catching radius. Kasen Williams has some similar attributes too. I'm also excited to see Douglas McNeil in action. Those are three guys who I see filling the same role.

Douglas McNeil converted to CB.

Lawler has a real chance to make the 53. Kasen and Smith are absolutely not locks.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Love this pick. Great hands. Good kid. I could see him winning a roster spot very easily.

kearly

Reaction score
It just donned on me who this pick reminds me of. A certain ex-Seahawk.

Both he and Lawler played in the Pac-10 / Pac-12. Both he and Lawler were 6'2" and 200 pounds coming out of college. Both he and Lawler caught relatively few passes in college but had a good amount of touchdowns. Both he and Lawler ran poor forty times. Both he and Lawler were known for body control and having long arms. Both he and Lawler were 7th round picks.

They even kind of look similar.

20150828 003

Oregon state beavers watches from picture id720557

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":c2ggfnq9 said:
edogg23":c2ggfnq9 said:
Find the fastest linebacker still available and go with that.

I'd second that. I'll tell you what, I'm floored that the Seahawks have chosen to ignore the LB position in this draft and passed on local product Travis Feeney.

Other than that, players I'd love to take a crack at include ...

WR Devon Cajuste
WR Mitch Mathews
TE Ben Braunecker

Why draft Feeney when you can just have him come into camp as a UDFA ?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
kearly":asb5cilb said:
It just donned on me who this pick reminds me of. A certain ex-Seahawk.

Both he and Lawler played in the Pac-10 / Pac-12. Both he and Lawler were 6'2" and 200 pounds coming out of college. Both he and Lawler caught relatively few passes in college but had a good amount of touchdowns. Both he and Lawler ran poor forty times. Both he and Lawler were known for body control and having long arms. Both he and Lawler were 7th round picks.

They even kind of look similar.

20150828 003

Oregon state beavers watches from picture id720557

Nice comparison and can totally see it. Hope he pans out for us.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
One of the attorneys i work for has met him at a Cal event. Said he was extremely nice with baseball glove size hands.

edogg23

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2n6dsf8c said:
Interesting. He's....

Not fast.
Not quick.
Not strong.
No hops.

However, he's a strong hands WR who really plucks the ball and doesn't body catch much. This is kind of an odd draft, but ok. RZ plucker it is....
So we drafted a taller Kearse?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Throw the numbers out the window, Lawler is a football player.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
edogg23":2u0cbkzy said:
vin.couve12":2u0cbkzy said:
Interesting. He's....

Not fast.
Not quick.
Not strong.
No hops.

However, he's a strong hands WR who really plucks the ball and doesn't body catch much. This is kind of an odd draft, but ok. RZ plucker it is....
So we drafted a taller Kearse?
I was looking to see if someone was going to make a Kearse comparison.

Kearse can jump better in pads and cleats, but Lawler makes up for some of that with his height.

Kearse can do more after the catch, but Lawler is more likely to actually make the catch.

It's not natural to compare the 2 players based on measurables or style, but in terms of how he would fit on the Hawks roster it seems clear to me that he was drafted for his potential to take over Kearse's role in a year or two.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":267tytbr said:
hawknation2016":267tytbr said:
Erebus":267tytbr said:
hawknation2016":267tytbr said:
This strikes me as one of the weirder picks in the draft because of our depth at WR. He could be a nice red zone target, but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. This is a likely practice squad acquisition, IMO, with room for future growth and development.

I don't think his path to the roster is that difficult. Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, and Kearse have four spots locked down. Depending on how many WRs we carry, he should only have to beat out one or both of Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith.

I guess it depends on whether they want to carry more than five receivers. I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith, who is quicker, more explosive, and has an even better catching radius. Kasen Williams has some similar attributes too. I'm also excited to see Douglas McNeil in action. Those are three guys who I see filling the same role.

Douglas McNeil converted to CB.

Lawler has a real chance to make the 53. Kasen and Smith are absolutely not locks.

McNeil converted to CB last spring; however, he is once again back at WR on the roster:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster

I like him more as a WR too. Never said Kasen or Smith were locks. I just really like Smith's potential more than Lawler's.

mrblitz

Reaction score
looks like lawler stepped off the set of lord of the rings. cool.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Watching highlights of this guy he catches the ball like Odell Beckham. The ball sticks to his hand

McGruff

Reaction score
12thbrah":2uhjsz4k said:
Watching highlights of this guy he catches the ball like Odell Beckham. The ball sticks to his hand

Probably uses the same gloves.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Lawler comp is a hybrid of these two...
rajon_rondo.jpg
F1d8A

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I can see the Housh comp but I think this guy might compare more to the Seahawks version of Sidney Rice. Considering Rice's extensive injury history, I would say Lawler is a good comp for size, length, and aged athleticism.

The Rice who lacked the explosive athleticism of his former years. The one that could not consistently seperate but could fight for the ball in traffic. The one that had the savvy to be a dependable chain-mover and the one who was a clutch redzone threat.

I see that as Lawler's ceiling. And thats a damn good ceiling for a 7th round pick.

naholmes

Reaction score
Love the pick at #243 and the Rice comp. Lawler isn't nearly as tall as Rice but actually longer arms and some amazing hands which may make up for the lack of height. Great highlights with beckhamish catches but mostly uncontested due to perfect ball placement. We'll see if that translates to the NFL but he's got a shot. I believe there are two spots open, I do not think Richardson is safe.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
naholmes":iny9iy5j said:
Love the pick at #243 and the Rice comp. Lawler isn't nearly as tall as Rice but actually longer arms and some amazing hands which may make up for the lack of height. Great highlights with beckhamish catches but mostly uncontested due to perfect ball placement. We'll see if that translates to the NFL but he's got a shot. I believe there are two spots open, I do not think Richardson is safe.

Lawler is listed at 6'024 and Rice is 6'034... An exact inch. So not much taller.

Rice has 32.5 arms length, 9.25 hand size.

Lawler (like you said) has 33 3/8 arm length with 10.5 inch hands.

Lawler likely has a bigger catch radius and potentially more dependable hands. I dont think that inch in height does much.

What I like about Lawler, listening to him today.

1. Scouts have told him he had the best hands in the draft, JS also said the same.

2. He says one of his biggest strengths is high-pointing the ball.

3. Hes says hes much stronger than he looks and enjoys taking the ball away from defenders who think otherwise.

4. Hosts were reading his scouting report back to him, I think he comes in with a chip on his shoulder after being told he was described as a string-bean, too slow, too thin.

5. Not exactly what he said but something similar when asked if he needed to add weight. Said the weight would come naturally with experience and age but more importantly that his body is still catching up to the weight he just put on.

All in all I was very pleased with Lawler, seemed down to earth, genuine, a guy who knows who he is and what he can and cant do or be. A player who understands that he is probably going to have to be a craftsmen and master skill rather than a guy who can rely on athleticism. Above all a guy who will work hard for it..

Ill be rooting for this guy.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
naholmes":2dhll1aw said:

If he doesn't stick here, I could see Jared Goff begging the Rams to snatch him up. Being familiar with each other's tendencies would be helpful for both rookies. That's one reason why I hope he makes it here. Another is that I was checking out his Twitter page the other day and he seems like a great kid. Very grateful and eager to prove himself. T. Lock gave him a nice welcome too.