2013:Geno Smith: A franchise quarterback worthy of a first-round pick

ivotuk

Reaction score
Published: Apr 23, 2013 at 07:45 AM -- Adam Schein

Accordingly, the rumors about Smith are flying in rampant fashion. Some believe he's a sure-fire top-five pick. Some believe he'll tumble all the way out of the first round.

Geno Smith is a franchise quarterback.

Is he capable of playing at a level somewhere between that of Tony Romo and Andy Dalton? Absolutely. Is he capable of being better or more consistent than Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford? Without question. Do I trust him more than I do Cam Newton? Of course.

Smith has all of the tangibles -- and intangibles -- you look for in an NFL quarterback. He can make every throw. His arm strength is legit. He's also a football junkie, and winning is important to him. He takes the game and the preparation involved very seriously. He's smart. Teams crave quarterbacks with these traits, because teams crumble when they draft frauds.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
2013 NFL Draft: Jets botch Round 1 -- Apr 25, 2013 Adam Schein

1) Vikings dominate another draft

I also loved the needed selection of physical corner Xavier Rhodes with the pick that was acquired from the Seattle Seahawks in the Percy Harvin deal

2) Geno Smith and Manti Te'o plummet

Color me stunned. Geno Smith can play quarterback. He was champing at the bit to prove the haters wrong on Thursday night. I thought he would go in the top 10.

I think a lot of teams will eat crow after passing up on him. He could still wind up in the right place to succeed, but make no mistake: This is a major fall -- and surely a major blow to the ego and wallet.

If I'm the Jacksonville Jaguars, I take him at No. 33 on Friday.

3) Rex wrecking the Jets?

Ryan's fingerprints are all over the Jets' picks. That's a problem, considering his past personnel failures and his status as what amounts to a lame-duck head coach.

The man the Jets took ninth overall, Dee Milliner, has had five surgeries. The significance of that can't be minimized.
I didn't think he was the best player available in a group that included Smith