Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1lai6g5y said:
The point being is, i'm not sure if we have one yet.

Well, his history in College suggests we do, and he showed he can.

But you, pittpnthrs, being sure about it? That probably won't happen even if he were to someday make the HoF.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2ohagsv4 said:
pittpnthrs":2ohagsv4 said:

But you, pittpnthrs, being sure about it? That probably won't happen even if he were to someday make the HoF.

History in college? The guy has 25 receptions for 3 TD's in his college career. What a receiving threat. He had 1/3 of his collegiate output in one game in the NFL and your saying he was a proven pass catcher coming out of college.

Fpalm

adeltaY

Reaction score
He's just saying calm on the hype. if Uncle Will can average 50 yards the next three weeks, y'all are onto something

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35kjc57u said:
Geezus man, are you that stubborn? We get it, you hate every pick the Seahawks have ever made :2thumbs:

I don't hate every pick, but saying the guy was a proven pass catcher coming out of college is just too much. Everybody knows he was drafted for his blocking. Some people want to anoint him as the 2nd coming of Tony Gonzales now after one game. One game in which I doubt he'll ever replicate in the entirety of his career. If he can average 4 or 5 catches for close to 50 yards for the season, he will have exceeded my expectations and I hope he does, but don't go comparing him to Jimmy Graham and the likes. He isn't all that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
adeltaY":2qsqucvg said:
He's just saying calm on the hype. if Uncle Will can average 50 yards the next three weeks, y'all are onto something

Exactly. What I would really like to see is him actually blocking and allowing Carson to break a couple. That would be neat.

TreeRon

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":iy82ajtx said:
SoulfishHawk":iy82ajtx said:
Geezus man, are you that stubborn? We get it, you hate every pick the Seahawks have ever made :2thumbs:

I don't hate every pick, but saying the guy was a proven pass catcher coming out of college is just too much. Everybody knows he was drafted for his blocking. Some people want to anoint him as the 2nd coming of Tony Gonzales now after one game. One game in which I doubt he'll ever replicate in the entirety of his career. If he can average 4 or 5 catches for close to 50 yards for the season, he will have exceeded my expectations and I hope he does, but don't go comparing him to Jimmy Graham and the likes. He isn't all that.

Everybody? I believe PC and JS stated several times that they knew he could catch the football and they expected him to do so. In fact, they were almost giddy that they got him as everyone else panned the pick. In fact, one of the couch potato draft "analysts" said he would not have signed him as a free agent !

He was rarely used in the pre-season. I think Vannett got most of the PT even though RW kept talking him up. I believe PC was keeping him in his back pocket to bring out in for the season. The jig is up now.

Anybody remember John Mackey?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":19248z1b said:
scutterhawk":19248z1b said:
pittpnthrs":19248z1b said:
Aros":19248z1b said:
Wow! It's so not like you to Debbie Downer a thread!

Well the threads silly. Dissly probably had his career game yesterday and he's all of a sudden being compared to Jimmy Graham?
No comparison, Jimmy Graham refuses to BLOCK, & any TE worth a shit doesn't wuss out on blocking for his teammates.

Any TE worth a shit? Tell that to Graham when he's getting his gold jacket in Canton.
Never said that he couldn't catch a lot of balls, but you sure as hell can't deny that he's a wussie at blocking, and for that, he's still an incomplete TE, :pukeface: hell, a much smaller Golden Tate, & even Doug Baldwin don't cower when it comes to blocking for their teammates.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1tqa9em1 said:
pittpnthrs":1tqa9em1 said:
scutterhawk":1tqa9em1 said:
pittpnthrs":1tqa9em1 said:
Well the threads silly. Dissly probably had his career game yesterday and he's all of a sudden being compared to Jimmy Graham?
No comparison, Jimmy Graham refuses to BLOCK, & any TE worth a shit doesn't wuss out on blocking for his teammates.

Any TE worth a shit? Tell that to Graham when he's getting his gold jacket in Canton.
Never said that he couldn't catch a lot of balls, but you sure as hell can't deny that he's a wussie at blocking, and for that, he's still an incomplete TE, :pukeface: hell, a much smaller Golden Tate, & even Doug Baldwin don't cower when it comes to blocking for their teammates.

Sure he's a wussie when it comes to blocking. Always has been. The biggest question is why did we expect him to when its known that he cant?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TreeRon":1rdvu784 said:
pittpnthrs":1rdvu784 said:
SoulfishHawk":1rdvu784 said:

Everybody? I believe PC and JS stated several times that they knew he could catch the football and they expected him to do so. In fact, they were almost giddy that they got him as everyone else panned the pick. In fact, one of the couch potato draft "analysts" said he would not have signed him as a free agent !

He was rarely used in the pre-season. I think Vannett got most of the PT even though RW kept talking him up. I believe PC was keeping him in his back pocket to bring out in for the season. The jig is up now.

Anybody remember John Mackey?

Pete and John knew he could catch the ball? Was it those 25 college career catches that tipped the hat? Pete can bloat out all he wants about him catching the ball, but I'm calling BS. They got him for his blocking. Any ball he catches is a huge bonus.

Who cares though. I'm happy he had that great game. Just don't expect that on a regular basis is all I'm trying to point out.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Yes, Dissly’s catching ability, route running, and yards after contact were discussed a lot when he was drafted:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146555

(Go to page 4 of that original thread to see the gifs of Dissly dragging defenders after the catch.)

hawknation2018":cyfqsjjf said:
Entering Day 3, Schneider and Carroll say Dissly was at the top of their board, and it was nerve racking waiting to see if he would be available at their pick. He was their #1 blocking TE and the perfect "fit guy." They think he can do it all, describing his hands as "awesome." At the combine, they could not hear the ball hit his hands during his receiving workouts, which is an indication of having soft hands that quickly secure the football. Before Dissly, they said they have had a really hard time finding TEs who can both run routes and be a strong blocker. Hence, the need.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Only saw bits and pieces of the game because wife and I were on a road trip, but I heard Dissly only played the first half... ? Did Pete offer an explanation for that?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Dissley has yet to prove he can catch the ball consistently, or be a weapon there. That being said I liked a few of the things I saw from him. He ran some really nice routes, and he was deceptively quick. I wasn't expecting him to look as quick as he did in game.

Color me pleasantly surprised. Some of his catches were exactly the type of catches that Willson or Vannett would have dropped, not exactly the easiest of catches. One thing that I noticed that bodes well for him is he caught the ball with his hands, not his body. We may just have another Zach Miller on our hands if he keeps this up.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm thrilled with the return to a Zach Miller style tight end. The more snaps Dissly plays the less predictable the offense becomes.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":172619bx said:
I'm thrilled with the return to a Zach Miller style tight end. The more snaps Dissly plays the less predictable the offense becomes.

I would say the more he plays, the more consistent and less predictable the offense becomes. The defense will have to game plan for both blocking, running, wide receivers, and RW. And a partridge in a pear tree. :twisted:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2t4spfq3 said:
Ad Hawk":2t4spfq3 said:
pittpnthrs":2t4spfq3 said:

History in college? The guy has 25 receptions for 3 TD's in his college career. What a receiving threat. He had 1/3 of his collegiate output in one game in the NFL and your saying he was a proven pass catcher coming out of college.

Fpalm

If you have to rely on numbers to provide pedigree, then I can see your point.

I was excited for the pick. One, his blocking was good. Some things to clean up. But aggressively and genuinely prided himself on that physical aspect. Gritty and showed consistently the ability to battle, and remain engaged even when losing the initial contact.

He wasn't used a great deal in college. That much is true. It didn't seem like he was dynamic in terms of being able to create separation even at the collegiate level. His hands, in a limited sample size showed up tremendously. Very good at tracking the ball, and rolling his hands to catch high and low balls appropriately and on the run.

This game, I think all of the qualities that I saw in him in college were on display today. He's very good at catching the ball. Especially ones that are slightly off target. So his effective catch radius is actually quite large. I'd say Dissly just in terms of his ability to catch balls probably is an improvement to Graham. Here, and even at New Orleans -- Graham had a massive catch radius due to his physical length. But quite often balls kind of ate him up. It's like he wasn't a natural ball catcher and he would think/overthink how to go about catching the ball. Particularly ones right at him between the belt and numbers. I don't recall a single instance where Dissly seemed hesitant or confused on how to go about catching a ball while in the air. He sees the ball quickly and decisively attacks the ball. If you want a baseball comparison, it's like an infielder who can sense/see where the hop will be off the bat, versus one who can't and has to read it late.

I was however surprised at Dissly's apparent raw athleticism. He seemed pretty nimble and showed NFL quality speed. I'm not sold yet on those qualities since as you point out, I didn't see that in college. But I do think it shows promise because players improve at varied and oftentimes drastic ways in just thier first NFL training camp. It's possible that Dissly has improved in that way and we're just now starting to see it. It'll be worth watching.

It is one game. But there is plenty to be excited about with Dissly. Will he be a 100 yard receiving threat week to week? Actually I don't know at this point. I certainly don't expect 3 catch 100 yard games. But I think his receiving skill and Wilson's clear trust in him point to future games where he's targeted at least twice as often as last week on a consistent basis.

He's going to get more looks and opportunities. His hands are probably going to continue that trend. If the kind of athleticism he put on display was no fluke, then he's going to garner targets similar to what Graham saw here.