A 12 man question from a dolphin fan.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
You must have the building is what I firmly believe, this is the essential part of having the true home field advantage..The venue is the draw, it comes first, the real question is what comes 2nd, is it the fans taking a stand and inspiring the team to help win, then snowballing, or does the team have to prove itself.

What's amazing to me is that the suits don't get it..they keep putting up structures with no purpose to intimidate...If they were smart, the spec would be totally committed to intimacy, and the rest would naturally happen.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3oro2l0o said:
Djphinfan":3oro2l0o said:
Here's my question??...you guys have had the reputation when you use to play at the kingdome as being the 12 the man and being loud..Has the art of becoming the most intimidating place to play evolved, what I mean is, are their ways where your able to get the fanbase on the same page, for example, ( getting everyone in their seats before kickoff, everyone in the building standing and cheering when your on defense, everyone standing and cheering when your in a fourth quarter of a blowout in a preseason game) etc, basically is there any communication going on, and message being relayed to the public as to getting even smarter when it comes to a home field advantage..I know there was a committee to break the Guinness record?, are their more things happening like that?, does the stadium P.A people get involved, and to what degree, is their emails from the pr dept of the franchise?, radio messages? Signs at the stadium? Anything that could inform the masses to continue to evolve..
The push to break the world record started with a former Seahawk, but other than that, there was no involvement by anyone in the Seahawks organization. It was completely organic (if I'm using that word right). Contrast that with the recent effort by Kansas City, there were official prompts all over, including the scoreboard telling fans to "make them hear you in Seattle." Also, for a laugh (and a contrast in organic-ness), google Ram Rules.

Bottom line -- IMO, keep any attempt to educate the fan base as unofficial as humanly possible. Probably the best source for you to try to educate the masses in Miami is sports radio hosts down there. That is unofficial, but still has a reach.

The more involved the Dolphins organization gets, the more potential for embarrassment there is. :twocents:
a good friend of mine works for that former seahawk..

Your 12th man is evolving as we speak...Their trying to copyright a different name because it's already owned.

drdiags

Reaction score
Side note. I thought there was a season recently that the Dolphins won the AFC East with Pennington? The year Brady got hurt? Susi has me questioning my mental faculties again. Time to go Google stuff.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
drdiags":1887g2yh said:
Side note. I thought there was a season recently that the Dolphins won the AFC East with Pennington? The year Brady got hurt? Susi has me questioning my mental faculties again. Time to go Google stuff.
Yep, Patriots were an 11-5 wild card that year with Matt Cassel, and it's also the year the Dolphins had a lot of success with the wildcat, if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1j8uhyq2 said:
Djphinfan":1j8uhyq2 said:
I've been here before with some questions, and it's because of the respect I have for what your doing as your identity, and some research that I'm doing in terms of us getting our own upgrades..Finally, thanks to your fanbase, the masses are understanding what's happening when it comes to serious home field advantage..I still on my own boards have to debate that the advantage is real, the proximity, the blueprint of the link, the knowledge of the base all works perfectly to have a performance of your own.

Here's my question??...you guys have had the reputation when you use to play at the kingdome as being the 12 the man and being loud..Has the art of becoming the most intimidating place to play evolved, what I mean is, are their ways where your able to get the fanbase on the same page, for example, ( getting everyone in their seats before kickoff, everyone in the building standing and cheering when your on defense, everyone standing and cheering when your in a fourth quarter of a blowout in a preseason game) etc, basically is there any communication going on, and message being relayed to the public as to getting even smarter when it comes to a home field advantage..I know there was a committee to break the Guinness record?, are their more things happening like that?, does the stadium P.A people get involved, and to what degree, is their emails from the pr dept of the franchise?, radio messages? Signs at the stadium? Anything that could inform the masses to continue to evolve..

The preseason game in the fourth quarter, you guys were standing and cheering for the scrubs in a blowout, this to me is evolving your 12 the man with a purpose, it's almost creating a strategy, strengthening your identity, strengthening your advantage for future opponents, increasing the reputation, y'all know what I'm trying to say?, is that possible, or is all just organic?

Thanks for the time, good luck on the season, and jftr, I thought Russell Wilson should of been selected top 10 in his draft..

Is that you, Kaepernick?
I loved Kapernick when he came out, wanted to draft him as well, but Russell is better..

The game is easy for Wilson..

drdiags

Reaction score
Phew! I am not losing my mind:

Code:
American Football Conference - 2008 Regular Season
AFC East Team	      W	L	T

z- Miami Dolphins	  11	5	0	
New England Patriots  11	5	0	
New York Jets	       9	7	0	
Buffalo Bills	       7	9	0

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
drdiags":bx96fgl7 said:
Yeah, we did..lost in the first round to the ravens..2008

Atradees

Reaction score
Pete Carroll was intrigued by Tannehill as well. We were still largely intent on building the defense at that time.

We had a free agent we thought was gonna be our regular QB in Matt Flynn....(which the fins were looking at too prior to drafting Tannehill)

Back on topic the acoustics of our stadium, like the dome, lends itself to the situation.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I've always thought that if I expect my team to bring their lunch box and perform, I should do the same for them.
But, it is a culture of noise for Seattle sports teams. Even the few Mariners playoff games were absolute rock concerts.

Why not have fun and do your best to make your team win!?
Seahawks fans have more fun.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
Average Seahawks fan, randomly sampled.

[youtube]6RVwuIiiuH8[/youtube]

VS.

Average "other" fan, randomly sampled.

[youtube]fjNEV5VKI8s[/youtube]

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Good luck on the year, with much jealously of the 12 the man and the venue..

Isn't it funny and ridiculously stupid by other owners that they don't follow the blueprint of the link...blows my mind that the suits goes for the bells and whistles over what's truly important, and they forget how the venue built correctly like yours, could be such a monetary income machine, alongside a serious competitive advantage...it just blows me away, and such a simple concept..

Anyways, jmo, I think you all should start lobbying to add seats, close in that endzone somewhat no?

LargentFan

Reaction score
redeye81":jzl0ykbh said:
It's a frame of mind.. We believe we can "CHANGE" the outcome of the game. We are believers..

I haven't yet read the entire thread, but this post sums it up for me.
It may seem silly and maybe it is, but when I go to a game, I have a job to do and I take it seriously. I have talked to many other fans who feel exactly the same.
Knowing when to be loud is important and takes a small amount of football IQ. There are plenty of fans who know when to make noise and when not to. I am sure there are many fans who don't get it, but as someone else said, noisiness is contagious. People get loud when the people around them get loud. As knowledgeable fans get loud, others follow suit. Soon enough, a large portion of the fanbase is knowledgeable.
I always say it like this: You don't need your voice on Monday, so give it to the Seahawks on Sunday.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
redeye81":20rjgtrg said:
It's a frame of mind.. We believe we can "CHANGE" the outcome of the game. We are believers..
It's not a belief. It's a literal truth.

As for the "believer" stuff, personally; I don't dig that word in basically any context so I can't roll with you on that one.

Everyone knows the answer to his question is PEDs anyway....

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
redeye81":3ktbmyr5 said:
BINGO. Check where I live if you think I'm wrong. Go ahead...I'll wait.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawks46":20zksust said:
Well, there's a few theories. Being at a few games, I really don't remember anyone prompting us to be loud other than the scoreboard once in a while.

When folks get loud, it gets contagious. Seriously, it's like an electrical current that runs through the stadium. It can't be explained it can only be experienced. The ground literally shakes at times.

Us 12s are very passionate about our team. Why ? Well, Cowherd had a theory that places like Miami and LA have much better weather. People always have other options to do outside, and it dilutes the fan base a bit. I can see that.

It plays into Seattle's passion that our baseball team has sucked badly since the early 2000's and doesn't look like it will improve. We have no basketball team, and hockey isn't that big up here. Our fan base leans heavily on the Seahawks and all of our passion is directed at one franchise.
Cowherd is certainly right about the greater LA area. There are multiple things to do: USC, UCLA, Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Kings and Ducks games; Disneyland/California Adventure; Universal Studios/Citywalk; Magic Mountain; Hurricane Harbor; Raging Waters; Knotts Berry Farm; Soak City; Aquarium of the Pacific; the various museums in Exposition Park; multiple choices at Griffith Park, including the LA zoo, etc.; the beaches; concerts and theatre; TV show tapings; and so forth.

Add in the high population of transplants who came to the area with their own team loyalties and it's much harder to build a diehard fan base.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The announcing and video board messages are identical to everywhere else. 3rd/4th downs are called with a bit of emphasis as is anything "and long," but our announcers do a very fair job of not drawing it out too much and then the only noise after that is from the crowd. Video boards will play imaginary decibel meters or noise alert graphics maybe a dozen times per game on key defensive plays.

The stadium design gets talked about and does make a difference compared to your stadium which is a really wide open bowl. It's only a small part of the overall picture, however. Weather factors are also a difference; it's a lot easier to be noisy when you are under cover and it is cloudy then when you are in direct 90+ sunlight for three hours.

The vast majority of the difference is the fan expectations; Seattle fans are used to doing a lot better at home than on the road in part because of crowd noise. The notion is strongly reinforced when teams false start, look confused and disorganized while trying to change plays, or call timeout because they couldn't get lined up correctly. It's not speculation for us because anybody who goes to games or even watches on TV can pick from hundreds of examples where the crowd noise had an on field benefit. Tell any doubters to re-watch Colin Kaepernick's first game at C-Link for a dozen instances where crowd noise mattered in a single game.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
HolyCatfish":2bjxgfsx said:
Average Seahawks fan, randomly sampled.

[youtube]6RVwuIiiuH8[/youtube]

VS.

Average "other" fan, randomly sampled.

[youtube]fjNEV5VKI8s[/youtube]

This is a quality post.

chris98251

Reaction score
People focus on the Clink, the Seattle fan base has always been rabid and supportive, before the Seahawks Husky Stadium was always known as a very loud and intimidating place to play, that transferred to the Kingdome that being concrete helped amplify the noise. During the Sonic play offs and world Championship Games I was there, the cement columns were moving in vibration from the noise of 12,906 fans if I remember correctly and the Refs were having trouble talking to the players on the floor.CenturyLink Field has acoustic effects to be sure, but it's the fans that make it what it is, long years of doing it, knowing when to do it and proud of being able to do it.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
AgentDib":26d7yvcu said:
The announcing and video board messages are identical to everywhere else. 3rd/4th downs are called with a bit of emphasis as is anything "and long," but our announcers do a very fair job of not drawing it out too much and then the only noise after that is from the crowd. Video boards will play imaginary decibel meters or noise alert graphics maybe a dozen times per game on key defensive plays.

The stadium design gets talked about and does make a difference compared to your stadium which is a really wide open bowl. It's only a small part of the overall picture, however. Weather factors are also a difference; it's a lot easier to be noisy when you are under cover and it is cloudy then when you are in direct 90+ sunlight for three hours.

The vast majority of the difference is the fan expectations; Seattle fans are used to doing a lot better at home than on the road in part because of crowd noise. The notion is strongly reinforced when teams false start, look confused and disorganized while trying to change plays, or call timeout because they couldn't get lined up correctly. It's not speculation for us because anybody who goes to games or even watches on TV can pick from hundreds of examples where the crowd noise had an on field benefit. Tell any doubters to re-watch Colin Kaepernick's first game at C-Link for a dozen instances where crowd noise mattered in a single game.

It's a big part imo..when were talking about a certain level of noise that can discombobulate, a certain level of intimacy between the players and the fans, it's a big part, it's the foundation of any 12 the man, it allows you to now intellectually move forward with progressive ideas to make it a serious competitive advantage.

I speak from raw data in my blood on this subject, years of research, I grew up with the orange bowl and the affect it had on two programs and their cultures, to, the venue both programs are in now, The slow demise of both cultures has absolutely been cause largely to a building..there are so many direct negatives on the culture, performance, and,
Outcome of the game that come from a venue like were in , and so many positive ones that one like yours can create..

Never take it for granite, because it's one of the very few times in History that you can determine your fate to a degree..

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan who lived in Miami for 20 years, I don't think it can happen there. Too many transplants, not enough community. Also too damn hot. If the 12s had to stand and scream in 90 degree weather at 90% humidity for three hours they'd all die. Seriously, there would be no legendary 12th Man.

Latest posts