A 12 man question from a dolphin fan.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
chris98251":cbepf3b8 said:
People focus on the Clink, the Seattle fan base has always been rabid and supportive, before the Seahawks Husky Stadium was always known as a very loud and intimidating place to play, that transferred to the Kingdome that being concrete helped amplify the noise. During the Sonic play offs and world Championship Games I was there, the cement columns were moving in vibration from the noise of 12,906 fans if I remember correctly and the Refs were having trouble talking to the players on the floor.CenturyLink Field has acoustic effects to be sure, but it's the fans that make it what it is, long years of doing it, knowing when to do it and proud of being able to do it.

The focus is on both, their both important AND necessary to the end result, which is what is has evolved into now..

Some venues dictate the mood of the fan, one that is not intimate or close in Proximity can create a passive spectator event, instead of an engaged experience..the venue inspires the fan to participate.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3uf0srvb said:
As a Seahawks fan who lived in Miami for 20 years, I don't think it can happen there. Too many transplants, not enough community. Also too damn hot. If the 12s had to stand and scream in 90 degree weather at 90% humidity for three hours they'd all die. Seriously, there would be no legendary 12th Man.

All of those things play a role, but none of it compares to the logistics of the stands relative to the field..bottom rows are further from the field than any other venue in football, upper decks have more seats than any other venue in football, top row farthest away then any other venue in football, it all = passive spectator audience.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Djphinfan":jvkrt8hm said:
Sgt. Largent":jvkrt8hm said:
Unfortunately Djphinfan I think either a fanbase has it, or it doesn't.

Obviously winning helps, which IMO has been the Dolphins problem for quite a while. But even when Marino was throwing it all over the place in the 80's, the Orange Bowl wasn't exactly a road nightmare for teams like the Clink is.

Seattle sports fans have a pretty big inferiority complex chip on their shoulder, and we've had it all our lives. This IMO is the main reason we go insane at games, we want to make sure the rest of the nation knows where we're at, and takes notice.

But there's nothing wrong with starting a Dolphin fan group (kinda like soccer clubs do). Organize a group, recruit other die hard Dolphin fans, all buy your seats in the same section, and go freakin' nuts and watch the snowball effect.

I disagree sir, the orange bowl had an incredible 12 the man reputation..thought most folks knew that, A lot of where the decibels comes from has to do with the architecture of the building itself, proximity is so important, the orange bowl had it all, and the place we play in now is the complete opposite, farthest distance from stands to field in the league, which in turn creates a more passive crowd then if you were right on top of the action..
Just so's you see the whole picture, The Seahawks appreciate the 12s so much for their support that they bring to games all over the U.S., they've shown by having the 12s represented on their uniforms, and yes, even on their Super Bowl rings.
Also, the 12s fans brought the noise to that SB game, as they weren't going to be denied again like they were in 2005 in the Stealers Bowl.
We 12s are like doting parents, and the Seattle Seahawks are our only child.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It's the same thing as you saw happen with players on our team last year that were told "you're not gonna make it in football".

From the beginning the Seahawks were the lark of the NFL, I remember, in the world of Cowboys, Steelers, Jets and Raiders. We were not taken seriously. The fans took control of that, gave a collective middle finger to sports media and started a grass roots (well ...er astroturf anyway) effort to bring on the "12th team player" from up in the stands, down to the team on the field.

The rest is history!!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2jotqacy said:
Djphinfan":2jotqacy said:
Here's my question??...you guys have had the reputation when you use to play at the kingdome as being the 12 the man and being loud..Has the art of becoming the most intimidating place to play evolved, what I mean is, are their ways where your able to get the fanbase on the same page, for example, ( getting everyone in their seats before kickoff, everyone in the building standing and cheering when your on defense, everyone standing and cheering when your in a fourth quarter of a blowout in a preseason game) etc, basically is there any communication going on, and message being relayed to the public as to getting even smarter when it comes to a home field advantage..I know there was a committee to break the Guinness record?, are their more things happening like that?, does the stadium P.A people get involved, and to what degree, is their emails from the pr dept of the franchise?, radio messages? Signs at the stadium? Anything that could inform the masses to continue to evolve..
The push to break the world record started with a former Seahawk, but other than that, there was no involvement by anyone in the Seahawks organization. It was completely organic (if I'm using that word right). Contrast that with the recent effort by Kansas City, there were official prompts all over, including the scoreboard telling fans to "make them hear you in Seattle." Also, for a laugh (and a contrast in organic-ness), google Ram Rules.

Bottom line -- IMO, keep any attempt to educate the fan base as unofficial as humanly possible. Probably the best source for you to try to educate the masses in Miami is sports radio hosts down there. That is unofficial, but still has a reach.

The more involved the Dolphins organization gets, the more potential for embarrassment there is. :twocents:

THis is part of it....the other part of it is to rally the fan base at the tailgater parties. Wander thru them and Terms like Loud and proud or your own special keywords to get them to rile up. One person may not mean much but if said person can go talk about timing and point to the Northwest Star..(Seattle Seahawks)...then you may be able to teach them some wisdom. One Domino can topple a ton of them given enough of a wave. Use your own gater to start it...then let it spread. Knowledge is wisdom. Oops. Think I need another cup of coffee...;)

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2rbeblsj said:
Djphinfan":2rbeblsj said:
Sgt. Largent":2rbeblsj said:
Unfortunately Djphinfan I think either a fanbase has it, or it doesn't.

Obviously winning helps, which IMO has been the Dolphins problem for quite a while. But even when Marino was throwing it all over the place in the 80's, the Orange Bowl wasn't exactly a road nightmare for teams like the Clink is.

Seattle sports fans have a pretty big inferiority complex chip on their shoulder, and we've had it all our lives. This IMO is the main reason we go insane at games, we want to make sure the rest of the nation knows where we're at, and takes notice.

But there's nothing wrong with starting a Dolphin fan group (kinda like soccer clubs do). Organize a group, recruit other die hard Dolphin fans, all buy your seats in the same section, and go freakin' nuts and watch the snowball effect.

I disagree sir, the orange bowl had an incredible 12 the man reputation..thought most folks knew that, A lot of where the decibels comes from has to do with the architecture of the building itself, proximity is so important, the orange bowl had it all, and the place we play in now is the complete opposite, farthest distance from stands to field in the league, which in turn creates a more passive crowd then if you were right on top of the action..
Just so's you see the whole picture, The Seahawks appreciate the 12s so much for their support that they bring to games all over the U.S., they've shown by having the 12s represented on their uniforms, and yes, even on their Super Bowl rings.
Also, the 12s fans brought the noise to that SB game, as they weren't going to be denied again like they were in 2005 in the Stealers Bowl.
We 12s are like doting parents, and the Seattle Seahawks are our only child.
yup, I see the whole picture, and then some, I'd love for you to continue to come up with ways to distract your opponent..

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3qscb0si said:
BlueTalon":3qscb0si said:
Djphinfan":3qscb0si said:
Here's my question??...you guys have had the reputation when you use to play at the kingdome as being the 12 the man and being loud..Has the art of becoming the most intimidating place to play evolved, what I mean is, are their ways where your able to get the fanbase on the same page, for example, ( getting everyone in their seats before kickoff, everyone in the building standing and cheering when your on defense, everyone standing and cheering when your in a fourth quarter of a blowout in a preseason game) etc, basically is there any communication going on, and message being relayed to the public as to getting even smarter when it comes to a home field advantage..I know there was a committee to break the Guinness record?, are their more things happening like that?, does the stadium P.A people get involved, and to what degree, is their emails from the pr dept of the franchise?, radio messages? Signs at the stadium? Anything that could inform the masses to continue to evolve..
The push to break the world record started with a former Seahawk, but other than that, there was no involvement by anyone in the Seahawks organization. It was completely organic (if I'm using that word right). Contrast that with the recent effort by Kansas City, there were official prompts all over, including the scoreboard telling fans to "make them hear you in Seattle." Also, for a laugh (and a contrast in organic-ness), google Ram Rules.

Bottom line -- IMO, keep any attempt to educate the fan base as unofficial as humanly possible. Probably the best source for you to try to educate the masses in Miami is sports radio hosts down there. That is unofficial, but still has a reach.

The more involved the Dolphins organization gets, the more potential for embarrassment there is. :twocents:

THis is part of it....the other part of it is to rally the fan base at the tailgater parties. Wander thru them and Terms like Loud and proud or your own special keywords to get them to rile up. One person may not mean much but if said person can go talk about timing and point to the Northwest Star..(Seattle Seahawks)...then you may be able to teach them some wisdom. One Domino can topple a ton of them given enough of a wave. Use your own gater to start it...then let it spread. Knowledge is wisdom. Oops. Think I need another cup of coffee...;)

I know what your saying, but, when you have a venue like sun life, that logistically is the worst in the game relative to what were discussing here, all those things are an exercise in futility...you simply can't get people engaged when they are so far from the action, can't do it...

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Have to agree with you.....Mojitos and football games just dont go together. LOL Good luck in your efforts.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Great responses. All I will say is that by having the team retire the # 12 so long ago (it was the first number ever retired for the team) was THE catalyst in all of this. It gave the fans an identity. A cause. A legacy to live up to, and to take pride in.

By the time Clink came along and 11 penalties with the Giants (and the national broadcast media started taking count of the false start penalties in each stadium), it's now expected. If you are a Seahawk fan, then you are part of the 12th man and you have a code of conduct at the stadium. To be loud at the proper times, give it everything you've got and go home exhausted, horse, and satisfied that you did what you could to affect the game.

It's silly by most people's thinking. But having the fans labeled "12th man" makes the experience of rooting for this team something beyond being a just a "fan". It's like a membership in a club (or a gang, depending on your point of view)--abide by the rules, wear the colors and do your job!

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2ovi6ukz said:
Great responses. All I will say is that by having the team retire the # 12 so long ago (it was the first number ever retired for the team) was THE catalyst in all of this. It gave the fans an identity. A cause. A legacy to live up to, and to take pride in.

By the time Clink came along and 11 penalties with the Giants (and the national broadcast media started taking count of the false start penalties in each stadium), it's now expected. If you are a Seahawk fan, then you are part of the 12th man and you have a code of conduct at the stadium. To be loud at the proper times, give it everything you've got and go home exhausted, horse, and satisfied that you did what you could to affect the game.

It's silly by most people's thinking. But having the fans labeled "12th man" makes the experience of rooting for this team something beyond being a just a "fan". It's like a membership in a club (or a gang, depending on your point of view)--abide by the rules, wear the colors and do your job!
absolutely, y'all are so lucky...you know what's crazy, it's so easy to quantify yet very few quantify it correctly in terms of a competitive advantage and a how it literally can become a cash machine .

If you were to build a stadium, lets say cost you a billion, the easiest way to get the return on the investment is to build it to intimidate, build the venue in such a way where all priorities are to create the closest proximity from the stands to the field, and BAM!!! Easaiest money making investment known to man..rebuild of a culture..

rjdriver

Reaction score
We don't go to watch a game. We go to work.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Also to piggyback on what suzitnagal said, a lot of this is inherent in the atmosphere the team and organization breed. When you go to a Seahawks game, you know it's going to be loud. Loudness is one of the KEY ingredients that is oft mentioned and oft hyped about the game. You expect to yell your ass off the whole time we're on defense. You expect to lose your voice and not get it back until the next Thursday. It's ingrained into the culture of being a Twelve and a 'Hawks fan.

When you go to watch the Dolphins, at least from what I've seen, you go for a party atmosphere. I've seen a lot of work put into that organization by Jimmy Buffett and his gang that have turned it into more of a parrothead festival than a chance to bellow your support onto the field. I love Buffett's music, but that's no atmosphere for a winning football team. Until that changes, you will continue to have those questions.

chris98251

Reaction score
Also Florida a retirement destination much like Arizona on the west coast, lots of transplants and you also have the heat.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2yeia86g said:

This. It's a feeling that's hard to put into words that I can put on a #12 jersey and know it's MY jersey number, given to me by the team.

ram350002

Reaction score
Great posts, it's brought up a lot of good memories from the King Dome days. I remember going there for Mariners games in the early/mid-80's and being one of 300-500 people in the whole stadium but it was tough to get a ticket for a Hawks game. My wife and I lucked out and got season tickets 3 years ago and won't give em up until I'm dead and buried (sorry Blue Pride members). Every one knows we went to the game because we can't talk for days. It's tradition now, breed from years of great fans, a unique atmosphere and the right architecture. It's the most legal fun I've had in years!

camdawg

Reaction score
Djphinfan":26o052um said:

People around here remember how feared the Miami Hurricanes were in the OB, because the UDub were the team to break the streak.

What isn't remembered as often is the Orange Bowl is home to not just the longest college home winning streak, but also the longest pro home winning streak as well. That can't have been a fluke. As a Husky fan that went to the big Miami revenge blowout of Washington, the OB was extremely close, if not just as loud, as the game in Husky Stadium the year before. You also made the rough, tough, 85 Bears beg the officials for help in quieting you down in the famous MNF game.

If there's any criticisms we'd have of MIami football fans...you guys were great for the big games, but quieter for "normal" games than we might be.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BlueThunder":29i03m43 said:
..........Fast forward a couple years, and the NFL decided that these uppity Seahawks fans should be punished for their fanatical support of their team, and worse, it was creating problems for the teams that brought in the most money (Oh, did I say that out loud? I meant the 'popular' teams). A crowd noise rule was actually approved by the league, and was tested during a game against, if I remember correctly, the Denver Broncos and a whining John Elway. They threw the flag for excessive crowd noise, costing us 5 yards and I remember getting SO PISSED! But I was rewarded with the Kingdome crowd getting twice as loud on the next play. We were gonna flag our own team right back into a safety if necessary. It was such a proud moment! After making our stand that fateful day, that rule kinda flew out the window, never to be seen again.................
It was Elway. I was watching that game as I'm sure many here were. He was a pussy then and remains one to this day. I derived extra satisfaction out of beating his team in XLVIII.

Latest posts