A little Avril love

GFang

Reaction score
Hawks46":3clgled3 said:
Even better is that Avril had a beef with Anthony Davis after they Niners played the Lions in his last year there. Avril got shut out against Davis and said something about Davis after the game, which Davis responded on twitter and called him a punk or something like that.

Avril and Davis had bad blood, then Avril came here and owned him. That's pretty awesome.

I remember that incident. Davis was bragging about pancaking Avril during that Lions game. Glad to see Avril get his revenge and put that punk in his place.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
volsunghawk":24yql2vg said:
Pandion Haliaetus":24yql2vg said:
Cliff Avril
$3.75 mil (2013)
18 Games Played
9.5 Sacks
7.0 Passes Defensed
7.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 11 of 19 Games.
So, 7 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 6 Games
Longest Streak w/o Sack: 2 Games

Michael Bennett
$4.8 mil (2013)
19 Games Played
10.0 Sacks
0.0 Passes Defensed
3.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 10 of 19 games.
So, 9 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 4 Games
Longest Streak w/o a Sack: 3 Games

Cliff Avril had a foot injury that put him out of OTAs, and a hamstring injury that took him out of tr camp and pre-season games all the way to the first game. He played less snaps than Michael Bennett and was either equally as productive or more productive as well as making less than Bennett in 2013.

And people throw the consistency card without knowing what they are talking about.

He didn't make less than Bennett in 2013. His cap number was less than Bennett's cap number because Bennett had only the one year on his deal.

Avril's base salary in 2013 was $1.5M (and was fully guaranteed), and his signing bonus was $4.5M. And Avril has a $7M base salary this coming season, $5M of which is fully guaranteed. His cap number this coming season is $9.25M.

Give Avril props all you like; he deserves them. But don't lie/obfuscate the truth about the money just so you can crap on Bennett.

1. I didn't lie, in 2013, again, IN 2013, Bennett made $1.05 million more than Cliff Avril. That's a fact.

Also, depending on what Michael Bennett wants to be paid in 2014, assuming he at least wants to make $10 million in the first year of his contract rather just 10 mil per, he could again make more than Avril.

2. Don't put words in my mouth... where is my argument that I was crapping on Bennett, hmmm?

But I'll do it now for you, so you can actually have a reason to say something, Bennett wasn't our best D-Lineman of 2013.

1. Brandon Mebane
2. Cliff Avril
3. Michael Bennett

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1dehjtf6 said:
volsunghawk":1dehjtf6 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1dehjtf6 said:
Cliff Avril
$3.75 mil (2013)
18 Games Played
9.5 Sacks
7.0 Passes Defensed
7.0 Forced Fumbles

Michael Bennett
$4.8 mil (2013)
19 Games Played
10.0 Sacks
0.0 Passes Defensed
3.0 Forced Fumbles

Cliff Avril had a foot injury that put him out of OTAs, and a hamstring injury that took him out of tr camp and pre-season games all the way to the first game. He played less snaps than Michael Bennett and was either equally as productive or more productive as well as making less than Bennett in 2013.

And people throw the consistency card without knowing what they are talking about.

He didn't make less than Bennett in 2013. His cap number was less than Bennett's cap number because Bennett had only the one year on his deal.

Avril's base salary in 2013 was $1.5M (and was fully guaranteed), and his signing bonus was $4.5M. And Avril has a $7M base salary this coming season, $5M of which is fully guaranteed. His cap number this coming season is $9.25M.

Give Avril props all you like; he deserves them. But don't lie/obfuscate the truth about the money just so you can crap on Bennett.

1. I didn't lie, in 2013, again, IN 2013, Bennett made $1.05 million more than Cliff Avril. That's a fact.

In 2013, Michael Bennett was paid $4.8M by the Seahawks. In 2013, Cliff Avril was paid $6.0M by the Seahawks. That's a fact.

Cap number does not equal pay.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
volsunghawk":t5kb5lzm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":t5kb5lzm said:
volsunghawk":t5kb5lzm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":t5kb5lzm said:
Cliff Avril
$3.75 mil (2013)
18 Games Played
9.5 Sacks
7.0 Passes Defensed
7.0 Forced Fumbles

Michael Bennett
$4.8 mil (2013)
19 Games Played
10.0 Sacks
0.0 Passes Defensed
3.0 Forced Fumbles

In 2013, Michael Bennett was paid $4.8M by the Seahawks. In 2013, Cliff Avril was paid $6.0M by the Seahawks. That's a fact.

Cap number does not equal pay.

Funny, according to Overthecap.com

In 2013,

Avril got a base of 1.5 mil plus his protrated 2.25 mil signing bonus, which = 3.75 mil

In 2014,

Avril's base salary jumps to 7 mil plus his protrated bonus of 2.25 = a cap hit of 9.25 mil

3.75 + 9.25 = 13 mil

Avril signed a 2 yr, 13 mil contract.

By your logic, Avril signed a 2 yr, 15.25 mil contract... or some crap like that.

And if you have issues with my numbers take it up with OvertheCap and call them liars.

Cartire

Reaction score
You're both right.

He gets all his bonus up front. But we pay it over the course of two years against the cap. So his pocket has more in it right now then what went against the cap this year.

Cartire

Reaction score
I love it when all the text get super small and hard to read because some guy wants to post a super huge image of Avril Lavinge :roll:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cartire":j0exd75w said:
You're both right.

He gets all his bonus up front. But we pay it over the course of two years against the cap. So his pocket has more in it right now then what went against the cap this year.

So, basically I was wrong.

Avril did earned 6 mil to Bennett's 4.8.

I'm sorry, and I learned something today that I've should have already known.

However, it doesn't matter much in the argument I was trying to make in that Avril and Bennett were pretty much equals on the playing field. And that you can't place Bennett on the pedestal without placing Avril on the same one.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1oswp6x2 said:
Cartire":1oswp6x2 said:
You're both right.

So, basically I was wrong.

Avril did earned 6 mil to Bennett's 4.8.

I'm sorry, and I learned something today that I've should have already known.

However, it doesn't matter much in the argument I was trying to make in that Avril and Bennett were pretty much equals on the playing field. And that you can't place Bennett on the pedestal without placing Avril on the same one.
Forget sacks. Find out how many total pressures and QB hits each had, then we can have a real discussion.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Forget stats altogether. Bennett does for that D-line what ET does for the secondary. He makes everyone around him better. He flat out tilts the field and is the guy you build around. He is doing for our line what Cowboy does for the Niners. Remove Cowboy and that entire defense will become remarkably average.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xrxvwi7c said:
Forget sacks. Find out how many total pressures and QB hits each had, then we can have a real discussion.

I wish I had access to those numbers. That said, Avril reminds me of Brandon Browner for his hidden value. All those strips and forced fumbles Browner gives really upped his value, while Avril has almost as many forced fumbles as sacks. The way Pete worships turnovers, I would bet he views Avril as being on par with pre-2013 Chris Clemons in terms of total value. Then again, hasn't Bennett been pretty good at forcing fumbles too?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":2vuk84up said:
Avril was a monster this year and didn't get enough credit. That ends right HERE.
I pray we resign him his strip sacking is a rare skill and his synergy with Bennett is something not given up lightly.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Avril got some ridiculous pressure. There were so many times this season he collapsed the entire right side of the pocket and made the QB run left. That wont be a stat but I would love to lock this guy up until he loses a step.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1nq2ddm0 said:
Scottemojo":1nq2ddm0 said:

I wish I had access to those numbers. That said, Avril reminds me of Brandon Browner for his hidden value. All those strips and forced fumbles Browner gives really upped his value, while Avril has almost as many forced fumbles as sacks. The way Pete worships turnovers, I would bet he views Avril as being on par with pre-2013 Chris Clemons in terms of total value. Then again, hasn't Bennett been pretty good at forcing fumbles too?

PFF tracks stuff like that, but I'm not paying for the numbers.

I thought there would be some struggles as everyone got used to each other, and Avril started the year hurt, so there was some adjustment early on, but I really think what we saw was a product of two guys who work really well together.

The real value of Avril is he can be a speed rusher or a power rusher.

Latest posts