Aaron Rodgers Just Carted Off of the Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptisme

Reaction score
bigskydoc":j57g3fum said:
joeseahawks":j57g3fum said:
Tony Romo will get a call tonight ... the chance he has been waiting for ...
Huntley is just not experienced enough ... or maybe they call CK7? He is from WI ...
Will be interesting how this thing plays out.

Honest question. Does Romo possess the mobility necessary to survive behind that line?

With 12 million in cap space, they could absorb the 8.75 million it would cost for the remaining 10 games of the season

No way could they afford next year's 19.5 base salary.

Unless he is willing to come out of retirement for just the rest of the season, or somehow restructure, I don't see it happening.

Seems Kaepernick, with his mobility, might be a good option, although he has been post-season kryptonite for Green Bay in the past.
Kaepernick is a horrible option.. He's a read option guy. The WC offense requires someone to run through progressions and have a brain in their head... Brett Hundley is best equipped to run this offense and his backup is also equipped... Unfortunately the team is so banged up, no one short of Rodgers can salvage this.

ptisme

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2kzb4i2h said:
Just give Kaep a job. He beat Rodgers twice in the post season 2 years in a row.
He grew up in WI. He has been keeping in shape.
All this crap would end, if they could just give him a job he deserves, based on his skills alone.
Except you'd piss off the 80,000 ppl that pay their salaries...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ptisme":35fekqea said:
Kaepernick is a horrible option.. He's a read option guy. The WC offense requires someone to run through progressions and have a brain in their head...

The problem with this take is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about on multiple counts.

Kaepernick had the most success of his career as a passer in Harbaugh's WC offense, which even used the needlessly complex West Coast verbiage for which all the 'QB smarts' and 'familiarity with the system' talk comes into play.

Likewise, the read option is a feature of the run game, and until NFL teams started incorporating more RPOs into their schemes, it didn't have anything to do with the pass game. And one of the upside of RPOs is they've breathed new life into the read option, and don't require (or even allow) for multiple passing reads by the QB, as if he's passing he needs to hit the short route before the lineman get too far downfield in their run blocking.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ptisme":1wtfrun7 said:
joeseahawks":1wtfrun7 said:
Just give Kaep a job. He beat Rodgers twice in the post season 2 years in a row.
All this crap would end, if they could just give him a job he deserves, based on his skills alone.

Because he has historically owned the Packers in the playoffs or some other reason?

:stirthepot:

ptisme

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":32l8p8ik said:
ptisme":32l8p8ik said:
joeseahawks":32l8p8ik said:

Because he has historically owned the Packers in the playoffs or some other reason?

:stirthepot:
We tend to put that on our defense... Also they had slow footed AJ Hawk at MLB... Now they have jones... He wouldn't run wild on us with the current defense and I'm not at all afraid of his accuracy as a passer.. Also the 49er defense played just as big of a role or bigger in those playoff losses...

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3laa4ky4 said:
ptisme":3laa4ky4 said:
Kaepernick is a horrible option.. He's a read option guy. The WC offense requires someone to run through progressions and have a brain in their head...

The problem with this take is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about on multiple counts.

Kaepernick had the most success of his career as a passer in Harbaugh's WC offense, which even used the needlessly complex West Coast verbiage for which all the 'QB smarts' and 'familiarity with the system' talk comes into play.

Likewise, the read option is a feature of the run game, and until NFL teams started incorporating more RPOs into their schemes, it didn't have anything to do with the pass game. And one of the upside of RPOs is they've breathed new life into the read option, and don't require (or even allow) for multiple passing reads by the QB, as if he's passing he needs to hit the short route before the lineman get too far downfield in their run blocking.
Why is he no longer with the 49ers?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ptisme":oet93uwl said:
Popeyejones":oet93uwl said:
ptisme":oet93uwl said:

Is switching the topic as close as you're going to get to acknowledging that you might not have any idea what you're talking about in that take?

He's not with the 9ers for the same reason that Joe Nedney isn't with the 9ers.

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30gqqdzw said:
ptisme":30gqqdzw said:
Popeyejones":30gqqdzw said:
ptisme":30gqqdzw said:

Is switching the topic as close as you're going to get to acknowledging that you might not have any idea what you're talking about in that take?

He's not with the 9ers for the same reason that Joe Nedney isn't with the 9ers.
He's not with the niners because he's not very good

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3pe7ztys said:
ptisme":3pe7ztys said:

SFO was a read option team under Kaep because he could run... Everyone knew that if you kept him in the pocket he couldn't go through his progressions and accurately deliver the ball to the correct receiver... The days of the read option have come and gone as defenses now employ a safety or fast ILB like Bobby Wagner... The Packers have two backup quarterbacks that are better equipped to run their offense than Kaep...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Rather than just hopping around from different lily pads all willy-nilly, I'd suggest you come up with a good argument and then try to stick with it.

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1q2tq515 said:
Rather than just hopping around from different lily pads all willy-nilly, I'd suggest you come up with a good argument and then try to stick with it.
"SFO was a read option team under Kaep because he could run... Everyone knew that if you kept him in the pocket he couldn't go through his progressions and accurately deliver the ball to the correct receiver... The days of the read option have come and gone as defenses now employ a safety or fast ILB like Bobby Wagner... The Packers have two backup quarterbacks that are better equipped to run their offense than Kaep..."

ptisme

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":246e9zkm said:
That ought to help the already sagging viewership.
Packers fans will have a hard time watching much less general NFL fans...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ptisme":8wqalscy said:
Popeyejones":8wqalscy said:
"SFO was a read option team under Kaep because he could run... Everyone knew that if you kept him in the pocket he couldn't go through his progressions and accurately deliver the ball to the correct receiver... The days of the read option have come and gone as defenses now employ a safety or fast ILB like Bobby Wagner... The Packers have two backup quarterbacks that are better equipped to run their offense than Kaep..."

So I take it by cutting-and-pasting you've decided to abandon your other arguments and stick with this one?

If so, stop being cute and say so. This too is a bad argument but I'm not going to bother to explain why until you're actually willing to show some conviction in the arguments you're making by at least indicating that you've settled on one rather than jumping around from goal post to goal post.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":psmgiqrk said:
That ought to help the already sagging viewership.

The problem with the narrative of the NFL's sagging viewership is that viewership is very unstable, and more importantly, ALL TV viewership is declining.

People like to attribute declining NFL viewership to whatever their pet issue about the NFL is, but they don't hold much water. If declining NFL viewership was really about the NFL then for your pet theory to be valid it would have to also explain:

(1) Why NFL viewership is declining at a lower rate than is the viewership for other sports like NFL, NBA, MLB, and NASCAR.

(2) Why over time NFL viewership seems to be declining at just about the same rate as OVERALL television viewership.

Can you pet theory for why NFL viewership is declining explain both of those things? If not, your pet theory is bogus.

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":375nkl6x said:
ptisme":375nkl6x said:
Popeyejones":375nkl6x said:

So I take it by cutting-and-pasting you've decided to abandon your other arguments and stick with this one?

If so, stop being cute and say so. This too is a bad argument but I'm not going to bother to explain why until you're actually willing to show some conviction in the arguments you're making.
My argument:
1. Kaep is a read option QB who is not a very accurate passer.
2. The Packers have two QB's who know their system who fit better than him...

Do you want me to draw you a picture?

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I like how you're so insulting to Kaep when Hundley looked like straight garbage in that game. I understand at this point your season is basically over, but Kaep looks like a better option than anything you currently have.

ptisme

Reaction score
Archer":1e6406er said:
I like how you're so insulting to Kaep when Hundley looked like straight garbage in that game. I understand at this point your season is basically over, but Kaep looks like a better option than anything you currently have.
Well we did have our top five tackles and LG out of the game at that point against a great defense but... Carry on... PS, If Kaep isn't better than Austin Davis why would we want him?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ptisme":160qakep said:
My argument:
1. Kaep is a read option QB who is not a very accurate passer.
2. The Packers have two QB's who know their system who fit better than him...

Do you want me to draw you a picture?

No, I didn't want you to draw me a picture. I wanted you to pick an argument that you're were willing stand behind rather than being flighty and non-committal with. I'll treat these as those arguments, and happy to post about them with you, and then treat all your other past (and potentially future) arguments in this thread the same way you've agreed to treat them: as inconsequential.

We'll start with #2. which we can treat as a strong or weak claim.

STRONG CLAIM #2: By this logic no team should every bring in a new QB if they have two QBs already on their roster, as by definition those QBs know the system better than the new QB. This is bizarre claim which we can dismiss out of hand.

WEAK CLAIM #2: Let's relax the standards, allow for the fact that teams DO bring in outside QBs, and address the holdups of doing so. McCarthy runs a West Coast system which uses West Coast verbiage, which takes a while to learn due to its needless complexity for QBs coming out of digit systems. For that reason were the Packers to bring in an outside QB it would make sense for them to look at people with experience in a West Coast system and calling plays with West Coast verbiage.

As chance may have it, Kaepernick has four years of experience in a West Coast system which used West Coast verbiage, and three years of starting experience in that system. As a result, if an outsider knowing the system is the primary concern he IS WITHIN THE SMALL GROUP of QBs who they should be considering.

To this we might add that (1) he had greatest success as a passer in a WCO system, (2) the Packers two QBs have a combined 0 NFL starts and 44 NFL passes between them for a QB rating of 28 (they have less career passes than Kaepernick had against Miami last year :lol: ), and (3) those two Packers QBs are a 5th round pick who threw 3 INTs in replacement of Rodgers, and a practice squad UDFA who was cut by three different teams (including the Packers!) in his one full year in the NFL.

Claim #1 that Kaepernick is just a read option QB and can't play without leaning on the read option:

Like Wilson, Newton, etc. he excelled in the read option, but is he just a read option QB, or is he also a competent passer when not in the read option? This is easy to answer, as last year, like rest of the NFL, Chip Kelly had almost entirely abandoned the read option.

As a PASSER last year without the read option Kaepernick was the 17th rated QB in the NFL. He was firmly middle of the pack, and better than the following list of players who are starters for their teams this year: Tyrod Talor, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, Trevor Siemian, Joe Flacco, Carson Wentz, Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, and Cam Newton. He was basically statistically equivalent last year as a passer to Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, and Andy Dalton.

If you compare his performance as a passer last year to starters this year, as a passer he was superior last year to Tyrod Taylor, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Josh McCown, Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, Trevor Siemian, Jacoby Brissett, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Bryan Hoyer, and Mitch Trubisky.

As a result, this might be a good argument for why without the read option Kaepernick is not a Top 12 QB in the NFL, but if it's an argument for why he's not better than Brett Hundley OR or some journeyman UDFA who is apparently named Joe Callahan, it's a horrific argument.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeye, I might remind you to remember your target audience for Packers discussions. What's the average Packers fan like? Hint: most of them live in rural Wisconsin and have farm (or farm-related) experience, and probably voted for Trump.

Independent and unbiased original thinking is not a common strong suit in that general region. Just sayin'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.