After the INT TD, Geno did "pretty good"

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
I don't hear too many, if anybody, really hating on Geno. Am I missing something or are many just trying to resurrect that disrespect card that we really haven't seen in like forever. For the past decade I doubt more than a handful of teams have received more respect than our Seattle Seahawks. People saying we are / were in "rebuild mode", etc...that's not disrespect. That's just people, some very educated, miscalculating the time needed for Pete to assemble this excellent '22 team. Truly remarkable....and arguably Pete's greatest achievement.

I personally felt Geno was going to be better than Wilson. But I'm not looking for props because I feel that bar was set pretty low to begin with. Am I surprised by Geno's crazy success? Very. And I feel very good about it. Unapologetically.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I see no need for all the "I was wrong" and "we get no respect" posts. And if YOU saw all this coming...please remember, your super powers should be used only for good, never for evil.
The narrative around Geno since the beginning of the season has been one of constantly shifting goalposts.

1-2 weeks ago almost everybody was fully on board except many of us who wanted to see excellent 4th quarter play before believing (myself included) that he could be truly elite. His recent past showed plenty of subpar 4th qtr results, so wanting to actually see it was not unreasonable.

Geno's play in the 4th quarter today was ELITE. Those of us waiting to see it are just as happy as those who already knew hw could do it at this level.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The ONLY thing that sorta kinda almost bugs me - and don't get it twisted: "Geno for Prez!". - is that a couple of games - it seems like we need to get punched in the face before we wake up. Yesterday I swear I saw a slow classic Hawks start - or at least 1/2 a slow start.

Seems like we need to be pissed off to get going. Happened after the bad Ref incident. Happened here after the pick 6.

Other than that - Geno for Prez bitches!!!!!

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I personally felt Geno was going to be better than Wilson. But I'm not looking for props because I feel that bar was set pretty low to begin with. Am I surprised by Geno's crazy success? Very. And I feel very good about it. Unapologetically.

What you said in August wasn't even close to "Smith will be better than Wilson."

Key quote, with boldface emphasis added:
His penile, juvenile insults aside, just why was Geno drunk-driving in a Rolls? His career has been a major disappointment from jump. If he had half a brain (and a starting QB should have twice that), he should be driving a Toyota and saving his money for when the wheels fall off. Literally and figuratively.

"He knows the offense and gives us a better chance to win"? That is certainly debatable. But what's not debatable is that he's obviously too full of himself and too damn dumb to consistently lead any professional football team to anything more than a high draft pick. (OK, IMO).

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Well we saw Rodgers toss three INT's today, so anybody can have an off day. Geno made up for his mistake.
Rodgers is an idiot, and now without the tools that made him look like 'not' an idiot for so long. TB12 too - missin gronk yet buddy?. This is pretty sweet!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He should have had 3 picks. But at the same time, the guy clearly doesn't panic. Pete preaches it all the time, it's not how you start it's how you finish.
He is finishing, even if he has an off game. And yes, I'm sure people will say I'm being a Geno hater, not at all. He got the job done, yet again.

ivotuk

Reaction score
According to Mike Greenberg this morning, "Geno is playing really well." Greenie has no interest in the Seahawks, which is okay by me. He was upset that Seattle won.

"For Arizona, that game was there to be won!" Excuse me? He also said that The coach of the year candidates are Daboll, and Miami's McDaniel, and that we need to start considering Robert Saleh. At least he doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a Jet's homer.

nsport

Reaction score
I definitely owe a few apologies in this forum for doubting Geno Smith. That pick 6 was pretty awful but the bounce-back was pretty great. Not only has Geno gotten better and better this season, but the O-line and defense have improved dramatically, accentuating his growth. Early this season, not sure we could have overcome that interception, but at this point the belief system within the team is for real.

Rainger

Reaction score
What about the SuperSonics?
Yea loved them and watched the heart breaking championship loss to Washington and the championship win. Was sweet.

But they are no longer a Seattle team. Just like I don't follow the Brewers just because one year they were the Rainiers
Guess I have to edit that since I don't have my pick up with the Lombardy

cymatica

Reaction score
The ONLY thing that sorta kinda almost bugs me - and don't get it twisted: "Geno for Prez!". - is that a couple of games - it seems like we need to get punched in the face before we wake up.
I'll take that over several years of getting punched in the face and getting knocked out cold

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Geno played like a Franchise QB once again,, outside of the first 2 drives of the 2nd Half.

Even "franchise" QBs have off plays and drives that don't end in scores. It's completely unrealistic to expect otherwise, and you can't name a "franchise" QB that is perfect all of the time.

But, I am not surprised that you expect perfect execution all of the time, you are probably the greatest football mind to ever live so I imagine watching football in the real world gets frustrating for you.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Even "franchise" QBs have off plays and drives that don't end in scores. It's completely unrealistic to expect otherwise, and you can't name a "franchise" QB that is perfect all of the time.

But, I am not surprised that you expect perfect execution all of the time, you are probably the greatest football mind to ever live so I imagine watching football I'm the real world gets frustrating for you.
You are correct- The NFL has never had a QB who played consistently great.

I have no idea why that doesn't stop some fans from holding their own team's players to unrealistic expectations.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Yea loved them and watched the heart breaking championship loss to Washington and the championship win. Was sweet.

But they are no longer a Seattle team. Just like I don't follow the Brewers just because one year they were the Rainiers
Guess I have to edit that since I don't have my pick up with the Lombardy
That loss to the 1994 Mutombo lead Nuggets was the biggest dong punch because MJ was playing baseball and the Sonics had won 63 games that season and they should have won it all that year.

Remember, the SuperSonics will always be a Seattle team they just don't exist right now but they will again soon.

The Thunder are not the SuperSonics.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I believe the current Geno is better than prime Wilson.
That is a giant stretch. Wilson was surely flawed as a passer, but when he was on he was scary good. 2015, 2019 and the first half of 2020 were insane. Even though Wilson in his prime was limited, he could simply pull of things that no other QB could.

Geno Smith is playing good football, he's surely better than the second half of 2020, 2021, and 2022 Wilson. Now, what Geno Smith has been is more consistent throughout the course of a game than Wilson. I've never seen Wilson able to string together multiple 80 yard drives like Geno does.

Geno does the procedural stuff a lot better than Wilson does. He can play within the confines of an offense and execute plays as drawn up. That gives the play caller a lot more options to exercise, which means there are more ways to attack and deal with defenses. With Wilson we were pigeon holed into running a handful of passing plays and concepts.