After the Pete Carroll Era

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Said this in a similar thread a couple months ago.

I'd want a program type HC. Someone with a distinct and unassailable brand. My money would be on Urban Meyer.

Whomever comes in is going to have to have the juice to completely alter the culture of the team to fit his style. While I love Carroll's style, I just don't see any other coach out there being able to sustain what he's built here. If we do try to sustain what we have we'll just end up with a watered down version of it.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":e3ev1jum said:

I'd want a program type HC. Someone with a distinct and unassailable brand. My money would be on Urban Meyer.

Whomever comes in is going to have to have the juice to completely alter the culture of the team to fit his style. While I love Carroll's style, I just don't see any other coach out there being able to sustain what he's built here. If we do try to sustain what we have we'll just end up with a watered down version of it.
Urban Meyer? I like it!

pr24

Reaction score
Aros":3e0i3id3 said:
If the timing worked out I would love Gruden to be our next HC.

The "Grumors" are rampant here in Tennessee that Gruden is in talks to take the University of Tennessee HC job since Butch Jones just got fired. Gruden's wife is from Knoxville, they met on the UT campus when she was a cheerleader, and he started his coaching career as a graduate assistant there.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Quinn

Since he won us our first maybe he could bring us our second.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was PART of why they won. And he certainly has shown to make some VERY questionable decisions as a coach. Just look at the Super Bowl last year. In field goal range up 8, just run the ball 3 times and you go up 11, game over. But no, he had to get cute and call 2 pass plays. Pathetic

mrt144

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":34kw1a36 said:
Attyla the Hawk":34kw1a36 said:

Urban Meyer? I like it!

No, he still needs to win a couple more national titles for the Buckeyes. Also he seems humorless in a way that the Hawks arent. That flute dance doesnt happen with Meyer

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pr24":3m7r2goo said:
Aros":3m7r2goo said:
If the timing worked out I would love Gruden to be our next HC.

The "Grumors" are rampant here in Tennessee that Gruden is in talks to take the University of Tennessee HC job since Butch Jones just got fired. Gruden's wife is from Knoxville, they met on the UT campus when she was a cheerleader, and he started his coaching career as a graduate assistant there.

Gruden has been tied to every open gig in the country for a decade. I highly doubt he returns to college to take over a college job. His ESPN salary as of today would make him the 3rd highest paid coach in CFB.

I don't think Gruden ever returns and now he's at the point where you wonder if the game has passed him by, especially at the professional level.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seymour":2oibjdzy said:
Jerhawk":2oibjdzy said:
The best way to get the most out of this team's talent

You are forgetting something. We have Sherman and Baldwin who do not like the guy. That and he choose Kaep over Smith is a bit telling about his eye for an offense.

Sherman won't be here by the time Pete is out.

Baldwin may not be either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3fg01l2f said:
Jim Harbaugh.

It will happen.

While I think Harbaugh will eventually go back to the NFL, he's the kind of OCD hyper competitive coach that won't leave Michigan until he's delivered a national championship.

So I can't see him coming back the NFL for at least 5-10 years, if then. He's a god at Michigan.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I want to see who the next Sean McVay is. As much as I dislike the Rams, I think they made a fine choice with their coach, and I think this guy is going to be good for a long time. I don't like any of the choices people have thrown out so far, but I'm interested to see what young college coaches or NFL coordinators may emerge.

I dislike, intensely, some of our staff (e.g. Bevell, Cable). Richard I am unsure about. There have been some late defensive collapses that I think he is partially responsible for. I'd be willing to wait and see how the D matures with him as the personnel continue to turn over.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2djesj8s said:
Seymour":2djesj8s said:
Jerhawk":2djesj8s said:

You are forgetting something. We have Sherman and Baldwin who do not like the guy. That and he choose Kaep over Smith is a bit telling about his eye for an offense.

Possibly, but definitely not definite.

I'd take Chris Peterson over Hairbag 7 ways to Sunday.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1iqn6muq said:
Seymour":1iqn6muq said:
Jerhawk":1iqn6muq said:

I don't think Carroll is going to stick around for as long as you think he is. I think he is nearly done with his coaching career, I can see it in his actions. I've never seen him as frustrated as he is now on the sidelines, and in post game interviews. He no longer looks like he is having fun --- instead he always looks like he is on the ragged edge. Pete is, I believe the oldest head coach in the NFL as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to retire after this season is through.

One of the reasons I think this way is the trades. We've spent a lot of draft picks and capital to pick up Richardson, and Duane Brown. I almost think he wanted to try and go on one last run before he retires. I've never seen him act as harshly as he is at the moment towards our coaches. I've seen him yelling at Bevell, Richard, and Cable quite a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees this as his last rodeo.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2904exjw said:
I don't think Carroll is going to stick around for as long as you think he is. I think he is nearly done with his coaching career, I can see it in his actions. I've never seen him as frustrated as he is now on the sidelines, and in post game interviews. He no longer looks like he is having fun --- instead he always looks like he is on the ragged edge. Pete is, I believe the oldest head coach in the NFL as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to retire after this season is through.

One of the reasons I think this way is the trades. We've spent a lot of draft picks and capital to pick up Richardson, and Duane Brown. I almost think he wanted to try and go on one last run before he retires. I've never seen him act as harshly as he is at the moment towards our coaches. I've seen him yelling at Bevell, Richard, and Cable quite a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees this as his last rodeo.

Nor would I be surprised if he retires the end of this year. Your reasons are quite valid.....and I am sure that there are more that we do not know about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":6ksg98g2 said:
Spin Doctor":6ksg98g2 said:

Nor would I be surprised if he retires the end of this year. Your reasons are quite valid.....and I am sure that there are more that we do not know about.

He did what he wanted his way and was a success, sure that Super Bowl loss was the start of the downward spiral and getting two would have been great, he know has to deal with the league catching up to his innovations, people have replicated his defense and his assessment of players. He now has to re invent himself again, that may be something he doesn't feel he has time to do now or is too stubborn to do at this juncture. The NFL is a game of trends and we have had ours in our style, now it's time to shift to something different after everyone has corrected to what you do.

lukerguy

Reaction score
HOpefully it's so far down the road that we haven't heard of whomever his replacement will be yet.

crosfam

Reaction score
David Shaw (Stanford). I think he will be the next great NFL coach. Doubt if he stays 2-3 more years in college though. He might be waiting for a stable gig - no Browns, etc.