After Watchng Week 8 Rewind

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I just watched the Seahawk's week 8 Game Rewind at Carolina; a few things from that game that we will not see this time around:

- DNP: Wagner, Maxwell and Unger
- Our C was a guy named Schilling - a bad snap resulted in a turnover that killed at least a FG (-3)
- Marshawn had a TD pass bounce off of his hands for an INT with 10 seconds left in the first half (-7)
- RW missed a wide open Cooper Helfet for an easy TD; we had to settle for a FG (-4)
- Michael Bennett had Newton wrapped for a safety and somehow slipped off; I know Cam claims to be Superman, but Bennett makes that play 9 of 10 times (-2)
- As happens with the LOB sometimes, Earl and Sherman arrived at the ball and Kelvin Benjamin simultaneously and Richard missed an easy pick...when Kelvin opened his eyes the ball had miraculously stuck to his chest for 40 something yard gain
- KJ Wright and Tharold Simon each dropped an INT that hit them in the chest and Sherman had one in his hands (see above) that he missed
- Carolina fumbled four times, we only recovered one of them - (missed turnovers)
- Cam threw four interceptions, we only caught one of them - (missed turnovers)

And a few things we will most likely see:

- Cam Newton solidifies his first down "celebration" as the most UN-manly demonstration in the history of the NFL
- In order: 38-37-38-45-31, these are the point totals given up by the Panthers on the road against non-divisional opponents this year (Ravens, Bengals, Packers, Sanchez and Vikings); need I even say that they were winless in those games? The Seahawks keep with the trend in this one and put up 38.
- Kuechly is bad-ass...just like Wagner
- Avril, Bennett and Irvin all had an excellent game in Carolina...now they get the 12th man advantage

In week 8 the Panthers came out swinging with a lot of energy for the first quarter and a half. The Seahawks did well to keep them out of the end zone. After that we outplayed them enough to win comfortably, but we had a few unforced mistakes that kept it way too close. Notably the fumbled snap exchange, Marshawn letting a TD slip through his hands, RW missing a wide open Helfet for an easy TD and the dropped INTs!

I know the Seahawks will not overlook them, but this Carolina team hasn't shown anything on the road other than beating up on the currently pathetic NFC South. I see the usual Seahawk pattern happening again: a first half of angst followed by a gradual pulling away in the second half...the end result will look more dominating than it actually was, but it will be dominating.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":3w2rbp05 said:
I see the usual Seahawk pattern happening again: a first half of angst followed by a gradual pulling away in the second half...the end result will look more dominating than it actually was, but it will be dominating.

I concur.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Football is a funny game. Both teams are on a win streak and are thus playing with a lot of confidence. Your post is well-appreciated and informative, but I think both teams are quite different than they were previously. So I don't know what to expect this time around.

Except a Seattle win. I mean, we are Cam's kryptonite just like we are against Kaepernick (and that's no knock on Cam).

Hawks46

Reaction score
I appreciate the post and the refresher.

Without going full homer (Benjamin is a big WR and good at getting jump balls..it was a fortunate reception but hardly miraculous) I can tell visiting Panthers fans something very succinctly (not usual for me):

Wagner, Maxwell, and Unger Did Not Play.

When Wagner was out, we were ranked at about 8 for total defense. The last 5 games he came back, we went from 8 to 1. He's that important to us, and he's that good. He's our Keuchly.

Maxwell is our #2 CB. He'd be the best CB on most teams, including yours. We have great CB depth, but at the beginning to middle of the year, it was inexperienced. Simon played instead of Maxwell and this was a game where he started to show the experience was clicking and some marked improvement, but at that point, Maxwell was still a way better CB.

Kam Chancellor was fighting injury, he's healthy now. Bad news for Olsen, and any WR coming over the middle.

Our pass protection is much better with Unger in, and our run game is usually better as well. Better than 174 ypg, which is scary.

I can see the first half being close, but it wouldn't surprised me if we blow out the Panthers from the start. I see us winning this game by 14 points.

Smellyman

Reaction score
At times this season the Hawks were missing Lane, Simon and Maxwell at the same time hurt bad. With all of them back, the LOB is truly bad ass.

Schilling was awful.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Unger has a chance to be our biggest addition if he is healthy. I expect Lynch to have a big game, as he did in last year's divisional game against the Saints ( 28 carries for 140 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 2 TDs).

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ghwjja9 said:
Unger has a chance to be our biggest addition if he is healthy. I expect Lynch to have a big game, as he did in last year's divisional game against the Saints ( 28 carries for 140 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 2 TDs).

Agreed on Unger. Marshawn posting against Carolina what he did against the Saints? We have to prove it first, as that would be a first against Carolina (since 2005).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1r4fdebw said:
hawknation2015":1r4fdebw said:

Agreed on Unger. Marshawn posting against Carolina what he did against the Saints? We have to prove it first, as that would be a first against Carolina (since 2005).

When Carolina played Pittsburgh this season, Le'Veon Bell rushed for 147 yards on 21 carries. And Legarrette Blount rushed for 118 yards on 10 carries in the same game.

I hope to see Lynch approach that kind of output on Saturday.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Have we had both Unger and Tuk out there at the same time yet?

Latest posts