Alexander has advice for ML

cesame

Reaction score
drrew":33ktca8d said:
RolandDeschain":33ktca8d said:
All this proves is that he was softer outside of it, which is fine. He wanted to preserve himself. What annoys me personally is people saying he was never soft when he very obviously was on purpose, with intention, by design, of his own accord. Just admit it everybody, and move on. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate him for what he did for us while also thinking he was a soft runner overall.

I reject the entire premise of what you say. Choosing not to initiate the contact on every carry does not equate to running soft. He had a very very successful style, it's fine if that style was not to your liking, but claiming he, or any other professional football player ran soft is insulting, and it's especially insulting to an NFL RB with more than 2500 touches in his career.

Marshawn can take more hits because on average he doesn't carry the football as much as SA did.

SA had 370 attempts in one season. That's crazy. At 370 attempts he doesn't need to fight for every yard on every run attempt.

cesame

Reaction score
chris98251":11p3ig62 said:
We will never know for sure, but I would bet that Lynch would get the same touchdowns Shaun did given that line, I also bet he would have more overall yards because he would punish the second level defenders rather than go down easily. He would also have more receiving yards, Shaun could catch, but Lynch looks much more natural at it. I also think that Lynch would remain in on third downs and not get pulled because he would also pass block, which again would allow him to swing into the pattern and screens to happen.

Shaun in our current offense would be a disaster, if he even seen the field, I look at him as Christine Michael in a lot of ways, style a bit different of course but the blocking limitation being the same.

We have posters trying to compare SA to Christine Michael

Absolutely insane. That's a disgrace.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
themunn":22oo8366 said:
Alexander ran with a style that meant he was able to run for 1800 yards and score an NFL record 28 touchdowns at the age Lynch is right now - and compile 5 consecutive seasons with over 350 touches and 1500 scrimmage yarrds (Lynch has 0 seasons with 350 touches) without missing a game.

Getting tired of the soft narrative

Give lynch his oline.....SA was soft.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
cesame":17zv3we3 said:
drrew":17zv3we3 said:
RolandDeschain":17zv3we3 said:
All this proves is that he was softer outside of it, which is fine. He wanted to preserve himself. What annoys me personally is people saying he was never soft when he very obviously was on purpose, with intention, by design, of his own accord. Just admit it everybody, and move on. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate him for what he did for us while also thinking he was a soft runner overall.

I reject the entire premise of what you say. Choosing not to initiate the contact on every carry does not equate to running soft. He had a very very successful style, it's fine if that style was not to your liking, but claiming he, or any other professional football player ran soft is insulting, and it's especially insulting to an NFL RB with more than 2500 touches in his career.

Marshawn can take more hits because on average he doesn't carry the football as much as SA did.

SA had 370 attempts in one season. That's crazy. At 370 attempts he doesn't need to fight for every yard on every run attempt.

He didn't fight for yards....ran through giant holes and fell into the fetal position.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Seanhawk":wbrvtuts said:
RolandDeschain":wbrvtuts said:
Seanhawk":wbrvtuts said:
The problem is there are many who don't appreciate what he accomplished and write him off as a product of the o-line.
Well, we did have an amazing offensive line in the early-mid 2000s.

I'm not saying we didn't. But to dismiss Alexander because of it is ridiculous.
Yeah. It's the same argument people make for Russell only being good because he "has a great supporting cast".

homerun1970

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Yes he ran through the line 2500 times and curled up in the fetal position? That is why people were clamoring that we had to re-sign him. I mean heck we could have taken any back in the draft and had them run through those giant holes and fall down. :sarcasm_off:
I do not understand why we have to try to discredit one of the best backs in Seahawks history. Did he have times I went damn I wish he would have cut that in and up? Yes he also had a first half for the ages against the Vikings. I will say he ran harder when it would get him stats but the man didn't pill bug 2500 times.

themunn

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":6qc3szi6 said:
themunn":6qc3szi6 said:
Alexander ran with a style that meant he was able to run for 1800 yards and score an NFL record 28 touchdowns at the age Lynch is right now - and compile 5 consecutive seasons with over 350 touches and 1500 scrimmage yarrds (Lynch has 0 seasons with 350 touches) without missing a game.

Getting tired of the soft narrative

Give lynch his oline.....SA was soft.

Lynch would still get tackled at the LoS, he doesn't cut fast enough and doesn't make guys miss anywhere near as much as Alexander did.

One I like to throw out is one that actually shows arguably Walter Jones best (certainly best known) block

[youtube]Nd-BSrVsRDs[/youtube]

Amazing block by Jones, but if Lynch somehow evaded the tackle by 30 (he wouldn't have, at the very least it would have slowed him down) and he would have been caught by 24.

If he did make it to the goalline he'd have made it look far more impressive than Alexander maybe, but Alexander made it look effortless time and time again.

People who talk about the O-line making Alexander forget just how dreadful Morris was when Alexander went out in 06.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
If running out of bounds and avoiding big hits makes you "soft" someone better tell Russell to toughen up and start looking for contact.

OP
OP
HomerJHawk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
whoah. didn't know this was such a divisive issue. when I read the article it just made me automatically compare Shaun and Marshawn. that's not a fair comparison to be sure, but it just brought back the memories I have of Shaun. I know that didn't define his career, I just recall he would go down easy at times (compared to what we have with the Beast). different players, different coaches, different teams.

btw.. Go Hawks!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
sammyc521":3iiqv5qv said:
If running out of bounds and avoiding big hits makes you "soft" someone better tell Russell to toughen up and start looking for contact.
Is he a RB?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol. This is like comparing your Jaguar to your Land Rover. Two totally different, yet equally awesome, ways to go about doing business. We are blessed to have had both. Love both those guys. Straight up ballers in their own rights.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Shaun is one of my favorite Seahawks of all-time, but there's no denying he was a finesse back with a keen ability to get into the end zone. That said.. I would have LOVED to see Lynch run behind two hall of famers, a perennial All-Pro at center, and a very experienced right side.

Our OL in the Holmgren days was truly incredible. Lynch would have hit 2000 yards with ease running behind that line.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I know one thing for sure: I'll take Marshawn hands down in a one-on-one alley fight vs Shaun Alexander...

Blitzer88

Reaction score
All I know is that I am very appreciative of what Shaun did for the Hawks organization. He may of had some flaws and had tendencies that upset fans, but he did do great things with this organization and helped us win one way or another.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
This thread has some crazy elements in it. Even in the broken foot year of 2006 he was on pace for well over 1000 yards. Even though that injury effectively ended his career, he still had heart. Some of you are crazy and I feel a lot of us Seahawk fans are starting to feel spoiled with our current team. Loved his running style. He always had potential for the big play. I also remember a game (not sure if 2006 or 2007) but post injury he carried the ball 40 times for 200 yards.

Just lucky to have seen almost all RB in Seahawk history and love Lynch as much as Alexander.

Go hawks

Barthawk

Reaction score
Mick063":3pn4gsp5 said:
At the end of Alexander's career, I saw him fall untouched into a fetal position to avoid getting hit, in his own backfield. The play took a three yard loss. That lasting image tarnished my view of him but only for the career window of his last couple of seasons. If he would have retired two seasons earlier, folks would have a much different perception of him.

He was only soft when it was evident his heart wasn't in the game anymore. Before that, he was tough as nails.

I think Chris Warren would have had very similar "MVP type" numbers if plugged into Holmgren's scheme, behind that offensive line.

He also abused puppies and likes Nickelback.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":16ujyg3w said:
I would have LOVED to see Lynch run behind two hall of famers, a perennial All-Pro at center, and a very experienced right side.

Robbie Tobeck made one Pro Bowl. That's neither perennial nor All-Pro.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I look forward to the thread in 6 years where you all bash Lynch for being the type of back that took a safety.