Alexander has advice for ML

homerun1970

Reaction score
Did you know he was so soft he once stopped to pick up a dread? What kind of tough guy cares about hair?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
chris98251":fy6mvsja said:
CPHawk":fy6mvsja said:
chris98251":fy6mvsja said:
We will never know for sure, but I would bet that Lynch would get the same touchdowns Shaun did given that line, I also bet he would have more overall yards because he would punish the second level defenders rather than go down easily. He would also have more receiving yards, Shaun could catch, but Lynch looks much more natural at it. I also think that Lynch would remain in on third downs and not get pulled because he would also pass block, which again would allow him to swing into the pattern and screens to happen.

Shaun in our current offense would be a disaster, if he even seen the field, I look at him as Christine Michael in a lot of ways, style a bit different of course but the blocking limitation being the same.

Are you joking? Alexander beat out Ahman Green and forced Ricky Waters out, and he was a top 3 RB during his prime. On Michaels best day he couldn't hold Alexander's jock, you sir should just stop now. SA would have been great in any O.

He didn't force Watters and it's spelled with two "T"s, Ricky got hurt, Green was a fumbler, if your going to remember history at least remember it right. Alexander could not make his own lane and would have been tackled for losses over and over again, Lynch beats first contact routinely, many times coming before he gets to the line, or don't you watch the games?
Yep.. Watters owned that backfield and Alexander spelled him for that brief time. Holmgren loved Watters and at the end he was very productive. His style at the end was a great mix of elusiveness and physicality.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":14w5zg4z said:
I look forward to the thread in 6 years where you all bash Lynch for being the type of back that took a safety.
Won't happen.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3snxfi76 said:
Shaun is one of my favorite Seahawks of all-time, but there's no denying he was a finesse back with a keen ability to get into the end zone. That said.. I would have LOVED to see Lynch run behind two hall of famers, a perennial All-Pro at center, and a very experienced right side.

Our OL in the Holmgren days was truly incredible. Lynch would have hit 2000 yards with ease running behind that line.

Tobeck was a perennial all-pro? He made one pro-bowl, in 2005. Very experienced right side? Chris Gray, the guy we had been clamoring for a replacement and a 2nd year RT (first year starter Sean Locklear).

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":3nzq9uyc said:
CPHawk":3nzq9uyc said:
chris98251":3nzq9uyc said:
We will never know for sure, but I would bet that Lynch would get the same touchdowns Shaun did given that line, I also bet he would have more overall yards because he would punish the second level defenders rather than go down easily. He would also have more receiving yards, Shaun could catch, but Lynch looks much more natural at it. I also think that Lynch would remain in on third downs and not get pulled because he would also pass block, which again would allow him to swing into the pattern and screens to happen.

Shaun in our current offense would be a disaster, if he even seen the field, I look at him as Christine Michael in a lot of ways, style a bit different of course but the blocking limitation being the same.

Are you joking? Alexander beat out Ahman Green and forced Ricky Waters out, and he was a top 3 RB during his prime. On Michaels best day he couldn't hold Alexander's jock, you sir should just stop now. SA would have been great in any O.

He didn't force Watters and it's spelled with two "T"s, Ricky got hurt, Green was a fumbler, if your going to remember history at least remember it right. Alexander could not make his own lane and would have been tackled for losses over and over again, Lynch beats first contact routinely, many times coming before he gets to the line, or don't you watch the games?

Absolutely. The departure of Green was a knee-jerk reaction by Holmgren. I believe we were doing a pre-season exhibition in Vancouver (this off of memory alone, I could be wrong) where Green fumbled and Holmy wanted to make an example of him. With SA or not, that dumbass decision left egg all over Holmy's face. Green was a monster as he showed much earlier against our vaunted Dawgs while at Nebraska.

SA was a very talented runner (just ask him). But to those that say you are tired of him being called "soft"...that's because you don't recall the entire league called him "soft". SA himself wouldn't be offended by that term. He cultivated that image, then lived up to it. How many recall Clinton Portis' reaction when SA was brought on by the Skins? It wasn't pretty and SA stayed clear of Clinton Portis on the sidelines. Sometimes by physical force.

SA put up some great numbers and yes, behind one of the greatest left sides in NFL history. He was in deed a special runner, but let's not get carried away with anointing him as an "all timer". He wasn't.

No sense commenting on my post. I won't reopen this thread as I do not wish to bash a former, great Hawk or trash the beliefs of those enamored by him. I am guessing 80% of this forum became fans of the team while SA was at his peak. With that, I don't blame you for loving the guy. In my mind, he helped us win our 1st SB, he's our only MVP and there will always be a place for SA in my heart. But my heart is nowhere near "Canton"(!?).

Hawks46

Reaction score
cesame":1dytfw21 said:
There was no tougher runner in the red zone than Shaun Alexander.

The amount of hate he gets these days is absurd. Respect the only MVP in team history. His vision and cutback ability was amazing.

Let me know when Lynch rushes for 266 yards in a single game or matches any of Alexander's records

SA scored at least 15 TD's in 5 consecutive seasons
Back to back seasons of 1600 yards +

And you can call him soft all you want, but he carried the load a lot more than Lynch did. From 2001-2005 he averaged 330 caries a season, with the high being 370. The most Lynch has carried the rock in a single season is 315.

SA was a true workhorse beast who got better with the more carries he got. Stop diminishing him. It makes you look bad.

Can't agree more with this. :th2thumbs:

Hawks46

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2gncn3nw said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ex-seahawk-shaun-alexander-to-marshawn-lynch--don-t-change-your-style-135202995.html

Article is kinda funny, just for the fact that its coming from ol' Softy himself. I loved SA for what he did, but he really didn't like to take too many hard tackles. And he loved the sideline running where he could just step out when contact was about to be made.
During his playing days I could tell exactly why: he didn't want to sacrifice his body for the game--knowing that he's got a full life after football. Good for him, but it did get kind of annoying to watch at times.

It's ironic, but Alexander was a very tough runner, and he probably had the lowest pad level in the red zone of any back of his era (maybe this era as well), but he's "soft". Also ironic that he was never considered to have elite speed, yet rarely was he caught from behind in the open field.

After his SB and MVP season, the first game was Detroit and he broke his foot. If I remember correctly, it was also his first major injury. After that, he seemed like a different back. Maybe he was trying to extend his career. Maybe he was just trying to get back on the field and help his team mates. He did change his running style a bit, and from the sound of the article, he regrets it.

The guy was amazing, and the best RB in the NFL over that time frame, and now he gets called soft by his own fan base. Yea, I'd guess he has regrets about that, and is giving Lynch that same advice.