Am I alone in feeling our TE plays are better this season?

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2sbg6pe0 said:
I like Will Dissly a lot and want the Offense to feature him more. I think he can be a real game changer.
He's a rookie. He showed some promise in pre-season, so I think he will come along. Don't want him to peak too early. ;)

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
sutz":2656jvxf said:
Seahawk_Dan":2656jvxf said:
I like Will Dissly a lot and want the Offense to feature him more. I think he can be a real game changer.
He's a rookie. He showed some promise in pre-season, so I think he will come along. Don't want him to peak too early. ;)

Promise in the pre-season and has showed up during the regular season too when his number was called. Don't rush him/overwhelm him, sure, but gradually involve him more and I think he could be Russell's ultimate safety blanket for check down passes.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham 13 Rec,148 yards, 0 TDs
Luke Willson: 3 Rec, 23 yards, 0 TDs

Will Dissly: 7 Rec, 151 yards, 2 TDs
Nick Vannett: 8 Rec, 61 yards, 0 TDs

Yeah I’d say so.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":qc7bgpjm said:

I believe that there are a lot of us who want to see Will Dissly more involved.....like a certain Patriots TE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":19s7x1sc said:

Yep, might be the steal of our draft so far.

As much as we malign our FO on the last 3-4 years of drafting, I think we have to give them credit for the scouting and drafting of Dissly.

We saw that UW didn't really use Dissly the right way, he was mainly a run blocking TE with I think only like 10 total college catches? Big, tough, good run blocker AND can catch............and unlike the previous TE who was here, not afraid to extend himself in traffic.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":12tgk4ps said:
Seahawk_Dan":12tgk4ps said:

I believe that there are a lot of us who want to see Will Dissly more involved.....like a certain Patriots TE.

Anyone thinking we scored an athletic Greg Olson type tight end, don't. He'll sneak in some catches here and there, but he is nowhere near the speed or jumping ability of Greg Olson or Gronk. In fact he really isn't all that strong either. Shaquem Griffin's actually put up more bench reps then he did (15 vs 20)

I like the pick and the player, but I think he'll come back to earth as will others here on his abilities.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":dix4nan9 said:
Bigpumpkin":dix4nan9 said:
Seahawk_Dan":dix4nan9 said:

Anyone thinking we scored an athletic Greg Olson type tight end, don't. He'll sneak in some catches here and there, but he is nowhere near the speed or jumping ability of Greg Olson or Gronk. In fact he really isn't all that strong either. Shaquem Griffin's actually put up more bench reps then he did (15 vs 20)

I like the pick and the player, but I think he'll come back to earth as will others here on his abilities.

You may have a point, In 3 games, Will was targeted 13 times and caught 7 passes, 54%

Denver:
Targeted 5
Caught 3
Yards 105

Chicago
Targeted 5
Caught 3
Yards 42

Dallas
Targeted 3
Caught 1
Yards 4

Now that teams game planned for Will, his productivity declined. It's great that teams had to game plan for him.

Vanette
Denver:
Targeted 2
Caught 1
Yards 11

Chicago
Targeted 5
Caught 3
Yards 23

Dallas
Targeted 5
Caught 4
Yards 27

Vanette has been quite dependable so far this season, 8 catches out of 12 targeted (75%). We probably will see more 2 TE sets as the season progresses.

I would like to see Lockett, Baldwin, Dissly and Vanette on the field at the same time, Carson or Mr. Glass in the back field. Ideal for 3rd and short. Togather, Vanette and Will were 15/25 for 212 yards.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ky71tmf said:
The Graham debacle is totally on the FO and coaching staff. You would think they would be aware of the player before bringing him in. He couldnt and never did block before he got here and its crazy to think he was going to when he signed. A classic example of not playing to a persons strengths and trying to fit that square peg into a round hole.

Most certainly, and the previous OC had little idea how to use his mismatch abilities until his contract was down to it's last year. For Pete, Graham was hoped to be the big WR he had coveted and had been unable to acquire despite efforts to do so. His OC simply didn't know how to use him and he was sorely misused. Yeah you blame Pete and Schneider, but mostly it was on Bevell who had zero clue how to use him. All in all the Hawks significantly overpaid for a player they used poorly for all but one year. Not only did it cost a quality OLineman, but also a late 1st round draft pick and a big cap hit that didn't help them in re-signing some other players. To me both this trade and the trade for Harvin were significant personnel blunders.

Moving on, the team now has the nucleus of a nice young group of players at TE and an experienced guy who is under contract for another season past this one. Dickson, if he shows up, could be a nice steady addition to that group who may have some trade value if his fit isn't good.

Dwelling on the mistakes made is a waste of effort, but recognizing them is worthwhile

jammerhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1eac39nd said:
The Graham debacle is totally on the FO and coaching staff. You would think they would be aware of the player before bringing him in. He couldnt and never did block before he got here and its crazy to think he was going to when he signed. A classic example of not playing to a persons strengths and trying to fit that square peg into a round hole.

Most certainly, and the previous OC had little idea how to use his mismatch abilities until his contract was down to it's last year. For Pete, Graham was hoped to be the big WR he had coveted and had been unable to acquire despite efforts to do so. His OC simply didn't know how to use him and he was sorely misused. Yeah you blame Pete and Schneider, but mostly it was on Bevell who had zero clue how to use him. All in all the Hawks significantly overpaid for a player they used poorly for all but one year. Not only did it cost a quality OLineman, but also a late 1st round draft pick and a big cap hit that didn't help them in re-signing some other players. To me both this trade and the trade for Harvin were significant personnel blunders.

Moving on, the team now has the nucleus of a nice young group of players at TE and an experienced guy who is under contract for another season past this one. Dickson, if he shows up, could be a nice steady addition to that group who may have some trade value if his fit isn't good.

Dwelling on the mistakes made is a waste of effort, but recognizing them is worthwhile

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I disagree that Bevell was incapable of designing plays for a procession style tall WR. I speculate that:

1. Jimmy lost some speed, Quickness and twisting ability post injury.
2. Bevell underestimates Jimmy’s stubborn unwillingness to block, and do some basic TE stuff.
3. Saints had some of top OL during his time that afforded Saints to play to Jimmy’s strength. Ie a WR. During Jimmy’s time here, we suffered some of the worst OL play.
4. We didn’t have a good blocking TE to spare Jimmy on stuff he didn’t like to do.
5. Towards the end, Jimmy was quite checked out and disinterested in sacrificing his body to take big hits going in the middle for short yardage stuff. But that’s hard stuff, knowing the pain from hits by likes of Kam.

Got to wonder why John and Pete didn’t draft or sign a blocking TE and just use Jimmy as WR like we do now with Marshall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk