An open letter to the FO...

seabowl

Reaction score
Not going to blame them for their draft decisions however keeping Befell and Cable for as long as they did was a MAJOR musta on many levrls.

massari

Reaction score
I've seen internet dweebs who watch zero college football games and haven't ever played a down of football want Ryan Ramczyk/Budda Baker instead of Malik McDowell, Kareem Hunt/Kamara instead of Pocic, Carl Lawson instead of Tedric Thompson....

Draft is a crapshoot it seems...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You do know that Scott basically loaded up the SF team that went to the SB right?

We don't have a terrible FO, just an FO that makes terrible decisions in certain areas (FAs) but there is no disputing the draft record in the past 3+ years is crap. They were never terrible - just never as good as they were pumped up to be. Pretty much average, based on how the #s are reverting to the mean now.

Still, it is a cute letter, but the appeal to authority hasn't worked in a while.

It it did, they wouldn't have traded for Harvin, got rid of Unger and not bothered to keep Tate.

I know every FO is not 100% but those were franchise future shifting decisions that burned us badly.

That said, I think they did OK with the draft, which is all you could really expect.

BTW Scott is at Cleveland now. We will see if suddenly Cleveland starts turning around. His skill is great players in the lower rounds, so keep an eye out for those guys.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Why the Hell would anybody litter in a beautiful park?

IDK but it happens all the time.

This thread is a microcosm.

Started with a beautiful serene space, 2-3 jackasses threw their trash on the ground.

Is this why we can’t have nice things?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is it complaining?

Or just acknowledging that we have a competent FO but no magical 'secret sauce' that will put us back on top?

There was a myth that the Vmac was some sort of Shangri-La where we did things a different way, players gravitated toward, and our power of positivity was going to turn the NFL on its head. And the FO was this collection of tremendously intuitive people that could find value that was overlooked by the other teams.

We won because we had this amazing group of minds that could build teams by identifying and developing talent that nobody else could see. It was all due to the geniuses in the FO.

But it turned out we just had better players than the other teams and now we don't. Teams with better players win more games, shockingly.

Truth is, we have an average front office. It makes mistakes, and isn't that great at drafting anyway. That isn't special or terrible, it just is what we have. We didn't have many draft picks because of some previous mistakes, and so we really couldn't expect much in this draft regardless - especially when our picks fell right in the middle of the rounds.

A post that essentially says 'the front office knows better, you can trust their results' isn't even close to true.

And BTW I like how the draft turned out. But pointing out that we should just implicitly trust the genius of the FO because they know better is not matched by the reality of the track record the past 3+ years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
EVERY front office makes mistakes. John and Pete didn't just accidently acquire the ridiculous amount of talent they have over the years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This letter is a dig at fans that are complaining about the results NOW.

What the FO did close to half a decade ago is immaterial. They have been average to below average since.

Considering nobody has a time machine and whatever brought that successful ability for them has not repeated, what they did back then does not matter. Because again we are talking about NOW and right NOW they are a tremendously average FO with tremendously average to below average results (in FA and draft decisions, which is the topic)

Now, the points made about the griping about trading down I agree with. And I think you have to wait until the preseason to even know how the draft picks are panning out.

But the tact of implying that complaining fans are somehow diminished and don't know anything, because this FO should be trusted? Yeah sure.

And then the little add on about Scot is not remotely correct.

Its a smarmy condescending dig at complaining fans by someone that clearly hasn't thought much through on some of the points being made. And it overlooks the reality that the fans have every right to complain about the results this FO has been putting forth in the past few years.

PS I usually really like the posts by the OP, even when I disagree. And I disagree with a lot of the complaining on this draft but I don't agree that the people complaining are whatever the letter implies. Even as a satire that is pretty mean spirited.

chris98251

Reaction score
Two problems here, initially we drafted players with body types and speed that were unique, Wagner fast but small for a MLB, Sherman long and not as speedy, Browner while not a draft Pick big and physical and not speedy, Earl smaller but faster then hell with great Burst, Chancellor, bigger then average for a SS and played in the Box more. Then we had Clemons as a reclamation project from Philly brought in to do one thing, Red Bryant as well shifted positions.

We did that and looked great, in doing so other teams started to adapt and adopt to our philosophy, we had less of a selection going forward, we also had guys in place playing that were up and comers and at their peak for our run. Hard to replace with Picks due to their stellar play, so we offered a second contract, at the end of that contract our players if not retired like Bryant and Clemons, were now becoming dinged up yet we as a team and fans were enamored with them, we also were not using the Always compete mantra when it came to our now household named Stars and drafting guys that could push and replace them, till last year. We sat on our butts long enough that we had to bring back a player in Maxwell for a injured Sherman at the end of the year.

In essence we failed to follow our initial mantra and got complacent, that and we showed to much loyalty to the people working on staff and not based on their results.

All attributes of a team that has success and loses it's motivation and hunger because of a window of success and not evolving and maintaining the edge that got us there.

This off season and Draft showed signs of us correcting that lackadaisical mentality we fell into.

Latest posts