Announcers Giving Props To Schotty For Saving The Offense

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
And as far as credit for the offense's turnaround, Pete himself gives almost full credit to Schotty as was made public via the game announcers to day.

Schotty ball is good ball.

GO HAWKS!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pete 'Bev is doing great. He is really on top it' yada yada yada.

Pete will never throw anybody under the bus.

And yes we don't want to hear Russ is too short. It hasn't been an issue his whole career college and pro, as it isn't for Brees, Mayfield etc.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This ultra conservative offense isn’t going to win long term especially games like this one where one side is getting the calls. I get that he had to establish something by raining in Russ but some times he’s got to let Russell Wilson ball. He have to have a change of gear!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Schotty deserves a lot of credit. The offense is much improved this year, and while we bolstered the run game, it was done while losing a bunch of good receivers, Richardson, Kearse, Graham, Willson. Whatever mistakes he made (the pass on 3rd and 1 stood out) was offset by a generally effective game plan.

Putting 23 points up is normally enough for us to win. That we didn't, against a weak 49er team , is not on Schotty. The reffing was attrocious and maybe the NFL wanted a marquee match-up next Sunday night, but the biggest issue was the D let Kettle get way too open too often, and it took too long to figure out Delano needed to get on him.

The PAT miss didn't help, and neither did playing on a slippery field, for which we didn';t seem to have the proper cleats. Lots of excuses to choose from. Take your pick, but Schotty's performance should not be one of them.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Tusc2000":37pw7cdl said:
Schotty deserves a lot of credit. The offense is much improved this year, and while we bolstered the run game, it was done while losing a bunch of good receivers, Richardson, Kearse, Graham, Willson. Whatever mistakes he made (the pass on 3rd and 1 stood out) was offset by a generally effective game plan.

Putting 23 points up is normally enough for us to win. That we didn't, against a weak 49er team , is not on Schotty. The reffing was attrocious and maybe the NFL wanted a marquee match-up next Sunday night, but the biggest issue was the D let Kettle get way too open too often, and it took too long to figure out Delano needed to get on him.

The PAT miss didn't help, and neither did playing on a slippery field, for which we didn';t seem to have the proper cleats. Lots of excuses to choose from. Take your pick, but Schotty's performance should not be one of them.

Yes, Schotty does deserve a lot of credit. Pete agrees. He said it.

49's came to play. It was a great game, some questionable calls (that happens - refs are human) a slippery field, etc.

We still get to talk about a possible playoff appearance and that's way beyond what the expectations were at the start of the season so I'm not complaining.

For now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The announcers went public?

Was our OC a secret to the rest of the NFL?

Team is playing a very simplistic version of a fundamental offense. Its been recognized the last 5 weeks for its effectiveness.

And with that recognition comes a sloppy, error filled and sluggish effort by Schottys offense to a 3 win team with an average defense.

I wonder if that is public today? Little to no adjustments to 7/8 man fronts. Poor penalties.

Or is that RW being too short and PC too undisciplined for the OCs ideal gameplan?

Seymour

Reaction score
Too short, not fast enough!

[youtube]xDk7LYuCwmg[/youtube]

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I've generally been supportive of Schotty this year while trying to remain optimistic but the play calling on the last two drives and in OT were Bevell bad. I hate the fade throws on 3rd down even if they're completed. Sadly I'm somewhat of the pesimistic mindset that Pete will never focus on fixing the penalty issue and we probably lose anbextra 2 games on average per year because of penalties.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Just saying... yesterday was not good offense. Sure, it shouldve been enough to win the game. But it wasnt. And if schotty gets credit as a savior than he shoulders the blame when the offense doesnt adjust

mikeak

Reaction score
If Pete had stuck to being a headcoach and not OC the first two games we would have won at least one and probably ly both of those games...

If Pete had stuck to being headcoach the last two seasons.....

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mikeak":3ml3d68c said:
If Pete had stuck to being a headcoach and not OC the first two games we would have won at least one and probably ly both of those games...

If Pete had stuck to being headcoach the last two seasons.....

And therein lies the origination of the post. Pete gave a mea culpa to the media/announcers for not getting out of Schotty's way sooner. As soon as he did that good things started to happen for the entire team as the Seahawks went on an expectations-shattering run.

It has also given Wilson a chance to have his most efficient season in the NFL to date. That's not a "boring" offense as some don't knows want to call it but rather a brilliant match of talent and scheme. That's coaching at its very best.

Wilson himself has admitted as much when he said he didn't want to be a running QB. He knows as time rolls he needs to continue to improve his pocket presence/game. With Schotty's help he has made great strides in that regard this season.

Schotty ball is good ball.

GO HAWKS!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
"Dont knows?"

How edgy.

Schotty ball is simplistic. All PC did was agree that the complexities of the previous OCs play calling would not be effective. Bevell could and has run schottys offense in the past.

Crediting the OC with helping RWs pocket presence but failing to acknowledge the limits in the pass play calling yesterday when the 9ers were sitting on the run is hypocritical.

Schotty is a product of necessity, not some wizard.
And the first team that got in his face since the bears game limited his play calling and could be argued cost the team a win.

Wheres his mea culpa?

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2jgmh7r5 said:
I've generally been supportive of Schotty this year while trying to remain optimistic but the play calling on the last two drives and in OT were Bevell bad. I hate the fade throws on 3rd down even if they're completed. Sadly I'm somewhat of the pesimistic mindset that Pete will never focus on fixing the penalty issue and we probably lose anbextra 2 games on average per year because of penalties.

True that penalties have long plagued Pete's teams. Not sure why but likely has something to do with his willingness to give players a lot of rope and then some inevitably hang themselves out there.

Also agree the fade throw wasn't a good play call.

That said, 49's came to play and I don't think we were quite prepared for that - the fault of which rests largely in Pete's shoulders. That is also something that has plagued his teams over the years...

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":1wpa1vye said:

[youtube]xDk7LYuCwmg[/youtube]

Schotty is about 6-foot. He towers over both Wilson and Carroll.

He's on the head-coaching track. Not sure if it'll be here or somewhere else.

The guy is a legit talent.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smellyman":19iyfo2r said:
SemiahSioux

Theres a frightening similarity.

Atleast sioux stood up to challenges instead of hand pickingposts to pander to

Slick

Reaction score
Everytime I read "Schotty" I think "Snotty". Is that a bad thing?

[youtube]QG-vBVyIMIk[/youtube]

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Slick":3dyxsfhw said:
Everytime I read "Schotty" I think "Snotty". Is that a bad thing?

[youtube]QG-vBVyIMIk[/youtube]

+1 for use of Spaceballs.

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":8ipqum7a said:
Seymour":8ipqum7a said:

Schotty is about 6-foot. He towers over both Wilson and Carroll.

He's on the head-coaching track. Not sure if it'll be here or somewhere else.

The guy is a legit talent.

Not sure where this comes from but Schotty is not head coaching material IMO....at least not yet.

How bout no empty backfield throws on 3rd and 1/2 yard for starters? :pukeface:

Just because he was handed someone elses pot of gold doesn't make him rich.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38hztcwm said:
Smellyman":38hztcwm said:
SemiahSioux

Theres a frightening similarity.

Atleast sioux stood up to challenges instead of hand pickingposts to pander to

Glowing over another OC while demeaning Pete, I remember last year he'd post about 'knowing Pete is on his way out' etc.... The comment about his height is weird.