Another Percy Story

HansGruber

Reaction score
AgentDib":3dm56117 said:
One of the most annoying parts about this to me is that he will probably play well for the Jets given that he doesn't have work lined up yet for 2015. I'm curious to see whether he manages to bamboozle them into paying him.

Almost zero chance of that. Trading for Percy was Idzik preparing to fire Rex Ryan and justify his own employment to Woody Johnson going forward. He'll be able to say he got Ryan weapons and blame the team's failure on Ryan.

I don't think the Jets have any intention of keeping Harvin for the long haul.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I owe Bevell an apology.

His erratic, weird play-calling in the SD and DAL games that saw Bryan Walters try to superhero in Harvin's place...wasn't because of Bevell, it was because of Harvin refusal to play.

But Bevell is responsible for sticking to the game plan as best as possible without quickly adapting or he was taking shots at Harvin's integrity by having Walters play in Harvin's stead and the offense looking horrible for it.

Either way Percy is the worst type of player and I can't believe I supported him and thought he would change and that Pete could get through to him.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Looking at all the crap beginning to surface about PH after the fact now I won't be one bit surprised to find out his whole "I gotta use my own Dr. in another city thousands of miles away" may end up being nothing but a scam just to get paid to do nothing but sit on his butt when in fact there was nothing wrong.

It appears to me at least that PH never wanted to come to Seattle and he just milked us for what he could.

The support from the locker room has me baffled though, probably a smoke screen.

GO HAWKS!!!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
That same link had an article based on a interview with Seattle Times where Earl Thomas is starting to take issue with ticky tacky calls by the refs. Not good headwork by Earl, but it gives some insight to how the players feel about officiating this season.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I've never said this before, but I think Percy has some minor mental health issues; he certainly has issues with authority if nothing else. He strangled a coach in college, demanded a new contract and trade in Minnesota after fighting with passive coaches again for some reason. The reason problem is that he's been so ridiculously talented that he's always been appeased- given what he wants.

- He strangles a coach and Florida sweeps it under the couch.
- He fights with one of the most passive coaches in the world (Frazier), demands a trade. He gets traded for a 1st/3rd/7th and then is given a brand new contract north of 11MM per year.

The reason why I said mental health, is because he always seems to be unhappy, no matter the situation. He didn't even seem that happy while the Hawks were gearing up for a title run. Even when they won the SB, he was talking about how he looked forward to next season so he could play more- it wasn't about the team winning, it was about his personal success.
Also, he seems slightly manipulative; he was always happy with the media. Most players who "want the ball" have no issues telling the media they want the ball (TO, Keyshon Johnson, Chad Johnson..ect)

I'm pretty disappointed in him. I want enchanted by the idea of having a gamebreaker at WR..oh well, we'll have to stick to boring beastmode, and good D (hopefully) :) Jk.

Inkdaub

Reaction score
Percy is a great name. Robert Plant's nickname when he was younger was Percy. If you name your pet Harvin I can't help you.

themunn

Reaction score
Erebus":3jlo56el said:
The article mentions Schneider being completely honest with Idzik about Harvin's problems, which makes sense because they used to work together. We all know Schneider is a classy, upstanding guy and has integrity, which is a great thing and will lead to continued business with other GMs, but occasionally I'd rather him to be just a little less forthcoming about some things, and maybe we'd have a better draft pick in return (or a player).

Edit: sorry to derail the conversation about cats. Carry on.

I'm guessing when he tried to trade him for Julius Thomas he wasn't being forthcoming

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If this stuff is true (and it explains a lot so I believe it is true) then I don't get Lynch's reaction? I would think some one who plays with the effort he does would be insulted by a teamate half arsing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
lukerguy":2xhrurn3 said:
I've never said this before, but I think Percy has some minor mental health issues; he certainly has issues with authority if nothing else. He strangled a coach in college, demanded a new contract and trade in Minnesota after fighting with passive coaches again for some reason. The reason problem is that he's been so ridiculously talented that he's always been appeased- given what he wants.

- He fights with one of the most passive coaches in the world (Frazier), demands a trade. He gets traded for a 1st/3rd/7th and then is given a brand new contract north of 11MM per year.

The reason why I said mental health, is because he always seems to be unhappy, no matter the situation. He didn't even seem that happy while the Hawks were gearing up for a title run. Even when they won the SB, he was talking about how he looked forward to next season so he could play more- it wasn't about the team winning, it was about his personal success.
Also, he seems slightly manipulative; he was always happy with the media. Most players who "want the ball" have no issues telling the media they want the ball (TO, Keyshon Johnson, Chad Johnson..ect)

I'm pretty disappointed in him. I want enchanted by the idea of having a gamebreaker at WR..oh well, we'll have to stick to boring beastmode, and good D (hopefully) :) Jk.

Ding Ding Ding!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! On the mental health issues...

When I saw this quote from Jay Glazer:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -this-year
"Glazer said officials in the Seahawks organization were "walking around on egg shells" around Harvin""

That walking on eggshells quote... very telling...

Well, here is perhaps the all-time best selling book about walking on eggshells.
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Walking-Eggs ... b_title_bk
"Do you feel manipulated, controlled, or lied to? Are you the focus of intense, violent, and irrational rages? Do you feel you are 'walking on eggshells' to avoid the next confrontation?"

Follow that where it leads and there are a lot of boxes on that checklist that get checked in the Percy Harvin story.
I am not attempting to "formally diagnose" anyone, and his issues could be a range and a mix of things, but I say there are a lot of elements in common here.

I have had an abundance of experiences with Borderlines (including being engaged to one for a brief time) and Narcissists in my life, and maybe a Histrionic or two, and they are peas in a pod who often behave similarly but for slightly different underlying reasons.

Given the available data points, Percy's actions have the most in common with people I've known who have Borderline Personality Disorder. In particular, there is a "toddler rage" mode Borderlines go into under certain stresses, that sound just like the *multiple* incidents, involving Percy bodyslamming his college coach, the Leslie Frazier outburst, as well as the Golden Tate incident, and probably numerous other lesser incidents we haven't heard about.

"BPD is characterized by emotional outbursts, impulsiveness and difficulty maintaining stable relationships. "
This from an article on Brandon Marshall of the Chicago Bears.
Brandon Marshall, at last check, was the only NFL player, ever, to publicly acknowledge having (being) BPD.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hot ... n-magazine

I have to say, I have a tremendous admiration for Brandon Marshall, the human, for the bravery to do what he's done. As a football player... well, we all saw what he did to us in 2012 for the Bears, just when we thought we had the game won. I'd love to see him in a Seahawks uniform, BPD and all.

Point being, someone with this type of issue, whether that's Percy's *specific* issue or not, it's all about them taking the responsibility for those issues, and choosing to do the WORK. And it is a damn lot of work, which is part of why I have so much respect for Brandon Marshall; in a way, it's like he has to choose to let a core emotional part of himself die, in order to replace it with something that is unknown but intellectually seems like it should be better. Simple to say, very hard to do. My Borderline ex couldn't/wouldn't do this--she'd rather DIE than give up that part of herself. And besides, it's everyone else who's the problem, *they're* the ones who need to change.

There's another type of very destructive thing that Borderlines and Narcissists can both do: The Distortion Campaign, that basically seeks to cut off the support system for someone in their life, that involves telling lies and making ridiculous accusations behind the target victim's back, and generally creating a whole lot of drama, via a web of lies and deceit intended to damage the target victim(s)' reputation and relationships. Most commonly Distortion Campaigns are seen in divorce and family court, with one party out to punish and vilify the other, to turn people against them. Almost without exception, there is a Borderline or Narcissist involved, either one of the parties, or their attorney. Not saying Percy has, or hasn't engaged in this type of behavior, just another common type of behavior that would be extremely, extremely destructive in a team setting.

Personally, if I was in the shoes of an NFL coach, and my team experts and sports psychologists were telling me this kind of issue was likely in play, and the player was doing the types of things we have been told (and seen) Percy has been doing, I couldn't get him off the team fast enough. It would be like cutting out a cancer. And trying to work with it would be attention-intensive, with limited prospects for a truly successful outcome. In the meantime, so much of the attention that needs to be spread around to a variety of players and team needs, all winds up being focused on the problem player.

As I understood it, Russell was willing to work on the Percy issues, whatever they actually are. Pete (and John?) stepped in and said, "NO, HELL NO!", I expect for just the reason I mentioned--much more reward and upside from putting the attention and energy into all the other parts of the team where a little attention can make a huge positive difference, vs. putting a lot of attention into a situation is high risk for never really improving.

Risk/Reward Ratio for energy and attention, is it positive for...?
Paul Richardson? BIG Check.
Kevin Norwood? BIG Check.
Tharald Simon? Check.
Christine Michael? Check.
James Carpenter? Check.
Justin Britt? BIG Check.
Bruce Irvin? BIG Check (IMO).
Kevin Pierre-Louis? BIG Check.
Everybody in the DL position group? BIG Check.
... you get the idea.
Percy Harvin? Negative.
T.J. Hush man, Whatever? Negative.
T.O. ? Negative. (I suspect T.O. could have similar issues, but closer to NPD than BPD)

RiverDog

Reaction score
lukerguy":3fv8anat said:

Good post, and I agree. Don't be surprised to hear about Percy Harvin getting into some sort of trouble once he's left the limelight of the NFL. The guy is a bad dude.

Latest posts