Any news on "I'm Jimmy"?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3mf26bei said:
HansGruber":3mf26bei said:
You know, it might actually benefit the Seahawks.

Jimmy Graham was a liability at TE last season. We generally use TEs as blockers and Wilson was getting killed last season, often right after Graham got turnstiled by a rusher. When he got injured, our offense actually improved and Wilson was getting sacked literally half as often.

What if the Seahawks drafted a couple Off and Def Linemen, and converted 1 or 2 to TE?

Our OL is going to suck hard early in the season. Might make sense to have 7 linemen out there, even if they do suck. Just run the ball and rely on short fast receivers to get open. Let Wilson do his thing. There's no way we're going to have a pocket passing type offense with whatever OL we manage to patch together.

And we all know Jimmy Graham is worthless as a blocker. We all saw it. I'm amazed Wilson didn't get injured last season. And Graham's production as a receiver, even right before he got injured, just didn't justify the beating that Wilson took. Not a good trade off.

I disagree with this. Wilson and Graham were finally starting to click.. yeah his blocking is non-existent.. but they were figuring out how to work around that.

Our offense started to click when Rawls got the running game going and Bevell went to a spread offense. It wasn't because Jimmy Graham got injured.

If you want to debate having a more rounded TE to help block, thats an entirely different subject.. but I don't see how having a healthy Jimmy Graham to draw attention from defenses is a bad thing for this offense. Especially as they begin to throw the ball a bit more than they have in recent years.
Agree with everything you said Hasselbeck. He's actually an excellent TE for an offense running more spread concepts. As for his poor blocking, yeah it is poor. But if you spread him out wide it negates that liability when the Hawks run because it takes a defender out of the point of attack (which the Hawks were finally doing before he got hurt).

HansGruber

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3da39cug said:
HansGruber":3da39cug said:
You know, it might actually benefit the Seahawks.

Jimmy Graham was a liability at TE last season. We generally use TEs as blockers and Wilson was getting killed last season, often right after Graham got turnstiled by a rusher. When he got injured, our offense actually improved and Wilson was getting sacked literally half as often.

What if the Seahawks drafted a couple Off and Def Linemen, and converted 1 or 2 to TE?

Our OL is going to suck hard early in the season. Might make sense to have 7 linemen out there, even if they do suck. Just run the ball and rely on short fast receivers to get open. Let Wilson do his thing. There's no way we're going to have a pocket passing type offense with whatever OL we manage to patch together.

And we all know Jimmy Graham is worthless as a blocker. We all saw it. I'm amazed Wilson didn't get injured last season. And Graham's production as a receiver, even right before he got injured, just didn't justify the beating that Wilson took. Not a good trade off.

I disagree with this. Wilson and Graham were finally starting to click.. yeah his blocking is non-existent.. but they were figuring out how to work around that.

Our offense started to click when Rawls got the running game going and Bevell went to a spread offense. It wasn't because Jimmy Graham got injured.

If you want to debate having a more rounded TE to help block, thats an entirely different subject.. but I don't see how having a healthy Jimmy Graham to draw attention from defenses is a bad thing for this offense. Especially as they begin to throw the ball a bit more than they have in recent years.
You're arguing something different than I am. I'm not saying our offense improved ONLY because Jimmy was injured. But it is a FACT that sacks dropped considerably and our OL looked much better once the backups came in and started blocking.

You run a spread offense early next season with a receiver at TE, and Russell Wilson gets injured. You'll have two young Tackles and a whole new line. Every team in the NFL will be blitzing heavily.

It's just as likely (and I'd argue MORE likely) that our offense improved midseason because Rawls was actually getting some holes to run through. Wilson was getting some time to throw. Our OL began to look acceptable and our whole offense took off.

We don't need a finesse receiver at TE that blocks like a girl scout. You can't throw the ball if Wilson is getting hit 1-2 secs after the ball is snapped. We need another tackle or two at TE helping out and trying to keep Wilson alive while we figure things out.

I understand that the spread system is designed to take advantage of blitzes, get the ball out quickly to an open receiver. Just not sure how we plan to do that if Wilson is injured.

Cartire

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2vz64vx2 said:
I'm suspicious that the team won't have Graham available until the end of the PUP period and even then he likely won't be in football shape to do much until close to the playoffs if at all.

Of course this sucks because he's an uber talented player who was just starting to figure out things with RW.

Jesus im having DeJavu. I swear I read this exact thing 2 years ago except the player name was different, I think.

Rob12

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2xjpqx3y said:
see Victor Cruz....same injury..

Victor Cruz relies on explosiveness. Jimmy Graham does not. Apples and oranges.

I'm not worried about Jimmy. Either he'll be ready or he won't be. The offense was fine without him. I'm a huge fan of his, and want him back, but our success does not hinge on him.

Get well, Jimmy. I hope you're ready for 2016.

Largent80

Reaction score
The bottom line is this team plays (usually) with 3 TE's. Right now we have 2 plus Graham.

Somewhere we need to find someone to fill that need.

hawk45

Reaction score
Rob12":u8n9jz0b said:
Cyrus12":u8n9jz0b said:

I'm not worried about Jimmy. Either he'll be ready or he won't be. The offense was fine without him. I'm a huge fan of his, and want him back, but our success does not hinge on him.

I know this has been an argument, and certainly Graham has a big body he can use that Cruz does not, but to fashion a binary "does or doesn't" use explosiveness categorization of Graham seems very suspect to me.

He's made a large part of his living lining up wide and using his athleticism against safeties and linebackers. When we played the Saints I wasn't worried about him beating Kam with his physicality, I was worried Kam or the LB wouldn't keep up with him in the open.

Removing explosiveness makes him Big Mike Williams IMO. A guy who can still do a lot with a big frame, but who is no longer a game-changing player.

I think we must hope he recovers from this injury better than Cruz, or other recent players, because if he doesn't than it is no longer a win to pay him an amount of money we could be spending on other areas (OL).

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I have had two different patients with the same injury that Jimmy Graham sustained last season. It is a really bad injury, worse than an ACL because of the power generated by the quadricep muscle group. It should not however be career threatening as long as he has rehabilitated the knee properly. It is a minimum of a 12 month recovery process and might be longer for elite athletes BECAUSE they are so strong. I'd be shocked if he didn't start the year on the PUP list. He injured the knee on 11/29 last year, so any production we get out of him before the final month of the season is a bonus.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Rob12":1acaz120 said:
Cyrus12":1acaz120 said:

Your assessment is incorrect. Jimmy needs to have explosiveness in order to go and get that jump ball that Wilson throws above the level of the CBs and LBs that are covering him. And even though he is s****** at it he also needs to be able to have explosiveness to take on pass rushers and linebackers when blocking.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I agree with hass
If we get the ball out quick it negates pass rush
When bevell catered to lynch vs carolina look what happened
When we went back to the spread at halftime we put up 24 and their pass rush was good
We need to use the spread most against teams like the rams and jimmy may still command a double team even if he is only a decoy
So i think we have a lot to look forward to if bevell can pull his head out and NOT cater to anyone. It benefits us most when he does and then he tends to call one hell of a game and thats when he impresses me the most
If he calls games like that we are gonna destroy people
GO HAWKS

xgeoff

Reaction score
Largent80":1mpw14at said:
We need to draft a TE.

There are some good ones in this draft. Hunter Henry could fall to us and Nick Vannett looks good as well.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3kltywqe said:
It is a really bad injury, worse than an ACL because of the power generated by the quadricep muscle group. .

You are absolutely right, of course, with one caveat. We have never been privy to the extent of the injury (that I know of). The outcome of patellar tendon repair is highly dependent on the location and extent of the damage.

Given the mechanism, his height, and the way it appeared on TV, this was, in all likelihood, one of the more devastating types of patellar tendon tears/ ruptures, but we don't really know for sure and probably never will.

I was so glad to hear that he is able to fly again. Although I selfishly want him to recover and play for us again, I think it would be more devastating if he could never pilot again. My first thought when I saw him go down is, "I hope this doesn't end his ability to fly."

-bsd

Hawks46

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3ebc8p91 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3ebc8p91 said:
It is a really bad injury, worse than an ACL because of the power generated by the quadricep muscle group. .

You are absolutely right, of course, with one caveat. We have never been privy to the extent of the injury (that I know of). The outcome of patellar tendon repair is highly dependent on the location and extent of the damage.

Given the mechanism, his height, and the way it appeared on TV, this was, in all likelihood, one of the more devastating types of patellar tendon tears/ ruptures, but we don't really know for sure and probably never will.

I was so glad to hear that he is able to fly again. Although I selfishly want him to recover and play for us again, I think it would be more devastating if he could never pilot again. My first thought when I saw him go down is, "I hope this doesn't end his ability to fly."

-bsd

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. I've mentioned this before, but we never found out if it was a full tear or not.

Partial tears are still serious but not horrible. Anyone that has had an ACL done knows this, they take a sizeable chunk of your patellar tendon (like 1/3 of it) and use it for the graft to replace the ACL. Yes i know it's different than a tear because it's not completely through at any point, but my point was that in rehab, no one was ever worried about my patella tendon. I was told it would fill with scar tissue and be as strong as it ever was.

So it really comes down to if Jimmy tore it completely, I can see him being out next year. If it was a partial tear, then the beginning of the year (which Schneider already speculated) isn't out of the question. LIke Doc said, we just don't know.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Personally, i'm not really stressing about it until week 1.

Reaction score
One thing you guys gotta remember Cruz came back in 9 months are so, people forget that he tore his calf muscle. It wasn't the Patellar Tendon that he was having problems with. Everyone seems to think it was the Patellar Tendon this whole time, that's incorrect.. I think Jimmy will be on PUP start of the season and then play in NOLA week 8 Pete will be careful with him.