Anyone Else Worried About Our OL?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1xjqqhef said:
Continuity develops naturally when you have talented players on O line that you deem worth keeping. Have we had that really?

Well, I understand the reasoning (sacrificing cap space among OL to pay others). But I would say Unger, Giacomini and Carpenter were guys worthy of being retained.

Still, keeping those three would have meant about 13m a season. Which is more than the entire OL group now. I would say with confidence that if we were to have those three guys on the roster -- they'd all be unquestioned starters in this group. I think we'd all feel at ease if we were just going into the season with modest question marks on Gilliam's ability at LT and Ifedi's ability at RG.

Of course we'd probably have had to let Baldwin go in order to fit them under the cap as well.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm worried that the line is going to be like last year: look awful in the first half of the season. Enough to cost us a couple games.

They will improve as they always do, but those early season struggles are what worry me.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Scheme will help, so I don't anticipate the disaster that we started off with last year. Still, as much as I like Gilliam I can't help but be concerned about LT. Also, I wish we would knock it off with the experiments at C. I expect we see Lewis back in there by week 4.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

Largent80

Reaction score
If you aren't worried about it, then you must have been ok with the Nowak at center blunder. Having the BEST guy at center is where we need to begin the season.

In my opinion, we lost the West and a chance at home field advantage with that single boneheaded move.

King Dog

Reaction score
How can you not be terrified?

A guy who's never played LT
A guy with one start in his career playing LG
Britt possibly at Center
A rook at RG
A turnstile at RT

chet380

Reaction score
King Dog":9qtemwg4 said:

Britt possibly at Center
A rook at RG
A turnstile at RT

As with many others at this site, these disturbing thoughts linger at the back of my mind.

Largent80

Reaction score
King Dog":3ms4htwk said:

Britt possibly at Center
A rook at RG
A turnstile at RT

But yet EVERY YEAR, people come in here with "I'm not worried Cable will have it figured out".......

Cable put NOWAK at center over Lewis to start the season. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Cable but that decision was as smart as going to a Nickleback concert.

A

Anonymous

Largent80":2e4pak2v said:
King Dog":2e4pak2v said:

Britt possibly at Center
A rook at RG
A turnstile at RT

But yet EVERY YEAR, people come in here with "I'm not worried Cable will have it figured out".......

Cable put NOWAK at center over Lewis to start the season. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That reminds me...

Hey Rob, I still have those Cheap Trick / Joan Jett / Heart tickets!!!

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Largent80":vsjmz2a4 said:
King Dog":vsjmz2a4 said:

Britt possibly at Center
A rook at RG
A turnstile at RT

And let's not for get that it was Cable that thought James Carpenter was an NFL quality OT.

Cable seems to produce some pretty decent run blocking OL's, but they pass block like bull fighters.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Sweezy and Okung were horrific last year especially in short yardage distance. Sweezy would completely different consistently and BOTH would be penaltilized numerous times each game. Pair that with Okung weak ankles, I am glad we decided to not resign them.

I actually like what we have done with the OL. We needed to completely overhaul it as we did.

Glowinksi was an absolute steal in the draft IMO last year. Did you see what he did against the Cards last year week 17? I watched this guy at WVU and he's great in pass protection and run blocking. Very underrated and he will be an upgrade at the LG position right away.

I've went back and watched some Raider games and Penn never wife's as bad as sweezy or Britt would. I'll happy with him at RT.

Our first round pick at RG is going to be a beast. I really love our guard situation on both sides of the ball.

Britt MIGHT actually be good at center. He's a smart guy and I believe he can command the calls at the o-line. That being said, Patrick Lewis did nothing IMO to lose this starting job. Tom Cable just really loves Britt. He loves his size and athleticism and is basically has been given one last chance to make this guy a starting caliber player. I'm hoping it works out(who wouldn't want an upgrade even if it's not needed)

LT...ok I'm a little nervous now. Gilliam would get beat all the time at RT. Maybe LT will be easier for him? Maybe we need to bring in Eugene Monroe?? Idk. Definitely nervous but as long as he doesn't get penaltilized as much as Okung did the past few years then he might actually be an upgrade.

Listen, remember how we were unsure about Bennett and Avril coming in when they were signed? People posted on here "are these guys really the answer?" "Sounds like bandaids to me" "free agency after thoughts". Well these guys turned into a great duo.

Maybe Pete finally found the right parts and pieces. Like someone earlier said....it couldn't be any worse than it was last year

I think we will surprise people this year

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3p2evyxe said:
Listen, remember how we were unsure about Bennett and Avril coming in when they were signed? People posted on here "are these guys really the answer?" "Sounds like bandaids to me" "free agency after thoughts". Well these guys turned into a great duo.

Maybe Pete finally found the right parts and pieces. Like someone earlier said....it couldn't be any worse than it was last year

I think we will surprise people this year

I'll never doubt Pete's judgment on the defensive side of the ball. He's IMO the best defensive mind of our time. But offense is a different matter. Sure, he's hit paydirt on a couple of occasions, specifically drafting Russell Wilson and trading for Beast. But for the most part, the lion's share of his great personnel decisions ... Bennett and Avril.... and Bobby Wagner, and Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor, and Earl Thomas...just to name a few..have come on the defensive side of the ball.

But we'll see. That's one of the fun things about this time of year: It's a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2uyanjdk said:
I'm worried that the line is going to be like last year: look awful in the first half of the season. Enough to cost us a couple games.

They will improve as they always do, but those early season struggles are what worry me.

Doesn't help that 3 of our first 4 games are against teams with nasty defensive lines (Dolphins, @Rams, @Jets)

We're going to learn in a hurry how good or bad this line is.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2vubj418 said:
I've went back and watched some Raider games and Penn never wife's as bad as sweezy or Britt would. I'll happy with him at RT.

Should go back and watch those games again, because we didn't sign Penn. We signed J'Marcus Webb.

And Webb was one of the worst tackles in the league when he played that position.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's going to suck early. There isn't any other way it can't. Look at all the new players at new positions.

Will it suck more than last year?...It's possible.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Largent80":1wnw1uy8 said:
It's going to suck early. There isn't any other way it can't. Look at all the new players at new positions.

That's what worries me. We lost our best chance to get back to the SB for the third straight year in the first 9 games of the season. By the time we righted the ship, the Panthers had control of HFA and the Cards had virtually locked up the division. And although there were a lot of reasons for that slow start, including sub par performances from Russell Wilson and our defense, the major cause was the performance of the offensive line.

This season, the OL has more question marks behind positions than last year, not to mention Beast's retirement and Rawls coming off a major injury, a situation that wasn't present last year.

So please forgive me for having the jitters.

dogorama

Reaction score
RiverDog":3kzgav9l said:
Largent80":3kzgav9l said:

That's what worries me. We lost our best chance to get back to the SB for the third straight year in the first 9 games of the season. By the time we righted the ship, the Panthers had control of HFA and the Cards had virtually locked up the division. And although there were a lot of reasons for that slow start, including sub par performances from Russell Wilson and our defense, the major cause was the performance of the offensive line.

This season, the OL has more question marks behind positions than last year, not to mention Beast's retirement and Rawls coming off a major injury, a situation that wasn't present last year.

So please forgive me for having the jitters.

Of course there are valid reasons to be concerned about this OL but what really bothers me is how solid we are everywhere else. We have quality and depth in just about every other area and then we have this one unit that has the potential to completely waste all that other talent. It would be a shame.