Are we going to lose Maxwell?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3m0epf97 said:
12-15??? Where you hearing that?? More likely is 10-12. No Safety has even cracked 10 million and even Revis's actual deal is for 12 million, that second year is totally irrelevent.

Revis was averaging 16M cap hit for the Bucs. Now he did get more because it was all non-guaranteed. But that was still his salary.

Everything I've read and heard on Earle's contract is since he's the best safety in football right now people think he's going to want to get paid like the top DB's, not the top safeties.

Now that doesn't mean the Hawks can't play hardball and franchise him at a lower number. But my guess is they'll give him a nice DB-esque contract to keep him happy. Maybe not 15M, but definitely not 10M either.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3uaxz3gh said:
MizzouHawkGal":3uaxz3gh said:
12-15??? Where you hearing that?? More likely is 10-12. No Safety has even cracked 10 million and even Revis's actual deal is for 12 million, that second year is totally irrelevent.

Revis was averaging 16M cap hit for the Bucs. Now he did get more because it was all non-guaranteed. But that was still his salary.

Everything I've read and heard on Earle's contract is since he's the best safety in football right now people think he's going to want to get paid like the top DB's, not the top safeties.

Now that doesn't mean the Hawks can't play hardball and franchise him at a lower number. But my guess is they'll give him a nice DB-esque contract to keep him happy. Maybe not 15M, but definitely not 10M either.
Yes but Revis resigned 2 years for 32 million but 20 million is backloaded and non guaranteed like what Tampa did. The actual contract is a 1 year 12 million thing and New England will let him walk rather than pay 20 million in 2015. I think it's reasonable to expect Sherman to get 12ish and Earl may WANT DB money but that isn't what he will get. Jimmy Graham WANTS WR money but that isn't what he will get because neither is he a WR or Earl a CB. I don't see him being a mercenary like Revis who now just bounces from team to team (whoever has a ridiculous amount of cap space that year). I believe he wants and understands legacy and how important that is when combined with a well paying fair market value contract in the upper tier. Because the Seahawks are known to pay their own more than fairly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2fsmci96 said:
Yes but Revis resigned 2 years for 32 million but 20 million is backloaded and non guaranteed like what Tampa did. The actual contract is a 1 year 12 million thing and New England will let him walk rather than pay 20 million in 2015. I think it's reasonable to expect Sherman to get 12ish and Earl may WANT DB money but that isn't what he will get. Jimmy Graham WANTS WR money but that isn't what he will get because neither is he a WR or Earl a CB. I don't see him being a mercenary like Revis who now just bounces from team to team (whoever has a ridiculous amount of cap space that year). I believe he wants and understands legacy and how important that is when combined with a well paying fair market value contract in the upper tier. Because the Seahawks are known to pay their own more than fairly.

Right now Joseph with the Texans and Berry with the Chiefs are the highest paid DB and Safety.

Joseph is getting close to 12M a year with base and bonus, and Berry is about the same as far as base and bonus cap hit. What makes you think either Sherman or Thomas will accept anything in this ballpark, when they're CLEARLY better than both these players, and have the pro bowls and stats to back it up.

I also don't think Graham is a good comparison, different position and nowhere near the demand that Earle and Sherman would command in free agency. Which is what this is all about..............how much are other teams willing to pay for my client. In both Earl and Sherm's case, that number is big. Thus what we offer has to match their value on the open market.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We'll see I do know that Berry's cap number is 12 million but his base salary is nowhere near that. So he likely never sees that money given how badly he has underperformed. Either way I trust PC/JS to have a plan and Earl and Sherman to not be stupid.

Eric Berry $8,417,000 $11,619,70 $5,805,400
base salary/cap number/dead money

ivotuk

Reaction score
Trade him for a player or a pick :)

The most important thing is the here and now, Byron can help us get to a secondconsecutive SuperB Owl. One that happens, he will likely be gone, but by then the next hungry up and comer will look like a Pro Bowler on this defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Firm of Sherman, Thomas and Richard have the DB's well in hand.

Throwdown

Reaction score
chris98251":2eodjiuh said:
The Firm of Sherman, Thomas and Richard have the DB's well in hand.

Soo we just totally forgot that bestest SS in the league huh? ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
No, I have heard Maxwell comment on how Thomas and Sherm are film room mainstays, Richard is all about techique, Kam is there but isn't mentioned like the rest are.

Maybe Kam is working with the linebackers on tackleing and Schead.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think that if and when they are paying Sherm, Thomas, and Kam top dollar, there other CB is going to consistently need to be on a rookie contract. It will suck to lose him though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, what negativity!

The team can find a way to keep Maxwell. A lot of things need to happen for the team to keep the band together, but let's wait until the bad stuff happens before becoming negative about the prospects of keeping any player.

I personally think Maxwell will be kept.

warden

Reaction score
I personally hope we have a real hard time keeping our players. You win one Superbowl and your players become way more expensive to keep. Just imagine how hard it will be to keep your players if you win back to back Superbowls. It is just a bye product of success. A good problem to have

volsunghawk

Reaction score
This year is Maxwell's contract year, and if he plays this year the way he did when forced into the starting rotation last year, there's no way he stays in Seattle unless he gives one heck of a hometown discount. He's solid in coverage and has an incredible knack for knocking the ball loose. Someone's going to throw a ton of money at him.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Danthe12thman":114mpblw said:
Our draft strategies will be much more difficult. This is a copycat league and our recipe for success will be harder to achieve.

I can see where the copy cat thing will happen to some degree with game strategies and team makeup but drafting talent is something else. A lot of these personnel guys are stuck in their ways and the way JS/PC does it is really abstract to most of the guys that have been in the league for eons. The importance that JS puts on late round and un-drafted free agents seems to me to be far greater than the average FO. So I am not so concerned about the copy cat thing in the acquisition of players to fit the team.

The Hawks have been getting a lot of praise because of their late rounders performing so well but the concept of getting that talent is so foreign to a lot of people.