When are we finally going to get a Feared Edge?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So many teams having a stud Edge and it has been WAY too long since anyone has feared a Seahawk defender. I mean a Bosa/Max Crosby/Micah Parsons/Watt/Garrett type. All that money and draft capital into the defense and we don’t have anyone up front that had to be game planned for.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So much is up in the air right now. We've got a couple of nice edges in Nwosu and Mafe, but you do kind of want another wrecker in there. Someone like Jadeveon Clowney would really set the unit off.

Dre'Mont could be a breakout candidate for us under a new HC/DC. Some untapped potential there.

Draft has a couple of nice edges but also some nice interior pieces. Jer'Zhan Newton looks good, T'Vondre Sweat is a wrecking ball NT, someone like Jared Verse could be there, etc etc.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
So much is up in the air right now. We've got a couple of nice edges in Nwosu and Mafe, but you do kind of want another wrecker in there. Someone like Jadeveon Clowney would really set the unit off.

Dre'Mont could be a breakout candidate for us under a new HC/DC. Some untapped potential there.

Draft has a couple of nice edges but also some nice interior pieces. Jer'Zhan Newton looks good, T'Vondre Sweat is a wrecking ball NT, someone like Jared Verse could be there, etc etc.
Those last three sound like members of a 90s R&B group 😂

cymatica

Reaction score
Because they've blown too much capital away from the trenches while missing on too many draft picks.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
A feared edge is nice, but I'd take a feared DT - Aaron Donald 2.0 - over a feared edge any day.
And I don’t disagree. And I don’t think our Edges are terrible. I don‘t think they are feared or game planned for. We have not had an elite Edge or DT in forever.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So many teams having a stud Edge and it has been WAY too long since anyone has feared a Seahawk defender. I mean a Bosa/Max Crosby/Micah Parsons/Watt/Garrett type. All that money and draft capital into the defense and we don’t have anyone up front that had to be game planned for.
Every team wants a feared edge. How many are there in the league though? 10 tops? Might as well wish for a top 5 QB while you're at it.

Hopefully Schneider has some tricks up his sleeve to try and acquire both positions.

Scout

Reaction score
It is better to have a rotation that one single feared edge. Hawks need another edge that can stack and shed at the point of attack. The rest of the crew is more than good enough to pin their ears back for sacks and pressures.

That is why stopping the run is important.

Hawks need the following:

Run stopping edge on the strong side of defensive formations.
Two ILB that can flow down and sideline to sideline to stack and shed for tackles
Safety that can play in the box.

Hawks have plenty of DBs they can plug and play as a high safety or NCB. But a true safety that can play in the box is needed badly along with an ILB.

Mafe has shown signs he can be disruptive at the point of attack and that was Hall's forte in college.

But I would say the Hawks new DC and HC will probably add another edge to ensure proper depth for run downs.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It is better to have a rotation that one single feared edge. Hawks need another edge that can stack and shed at the point of attack. The rest of the crew is more than good enough to pin their ears back for sacks and pressures.

That is why stopping the run is important.

Hawks need the following:

Run stopping edge on the strong side of defensive formations.
Two ILB that can flow down and sideline to sideline to stack and shed for tackles
Safety that can play in the box.

Hawks have plenty of DBs they can plug and play as a high safety or NCB. But a true safety that can play in the box is needed badly along with an ILB.

Mafe has shown signs he can be disruptive at the point of attack and that was Hall's forte in college.

But I would say the Hawks new DC and HC will probably add another edge to ensure proper depth for run downs.
good analysis. Box safety eh? Thought we had one of those lying on a gurney somewhere. Yikes now I remember . . .

oh and it was great we got Malik McDowell instead of TJ Watt. That would have been a travesty.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Change of schemes may bring surprising results in many newly feared players on this roster. A lot of busts and underachievers may just start to shine with this regime change.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I wanted DT in the last draft. Seems that Leonard Williams fills that role, even though he is a DE. From what I've seen, he lines up as DT more often and collapses the pocket.

kidhawk

Reaction score
some people need to work on their priorities. We had only 1 less sack than the NFC sack leading teams. We were last or close enough to it in stopping the run. Let’s fix the problem areas before we start looking to upgrade a position that is holding its own.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This team hasn't had a legit top end pass rusher since prime Bennett. It's not like they haven't tried to invest in that position, it just hadn't worked out yet.

And I completely agree. You need a dominant pass rusher in today's NFL. Hopefully they can figure it out.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score

Verse woulsnbw nice - as would Newton - I suspect John will be fulls balls on the table this draft. I miss that 2nd rounder - unless we can resign Leo