Geno Smith real deal? ...or just a flash?

warden

Reaction score
Coming off a season where he broke franchise records, made the pro bowl and comeback player of the year it really gave the team no choice to go with him another year. Geno’s contract is fairly team friendly so we go from here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm very comfortable with not solid until he does shit vs. LA and SF otherwise **** paying one cent more was that clear enough for you Geno lovers? He's dime a dozen most this fanbase doesn't have a clue about elite quarterbacks because of Russell Wilson

BASF

Reaction score
It's mostly just hero ball syndrome inflicted by Me3. The Geno doubters have these memories of Me3 running around in the fourth quarter and willing us back to victory when they ignore the fact that he could not run a regular on schedule offense that put us in those holes in the first place. It's really quite sad what he did to this fanbase.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's mostly just hero ball syndrome inflicted by Me3. The Geno doubters have these memories of Me3 running around in the fourth quarter and willing us back to victory when they ignore the fact that he could not run a regular on schedule offense that put us in those holes in the first place. It's really quite sad what he did to this fanbase.
Exactly the last actual quarterback we had was Hasselbeck and in no way was he elite but he was way better then Geno but at least Geno plays the position correctly. And is far better then TJ was RIP.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I love Geno but not at 40 million **** you all. Just draft a rookie quarterback you like already John and stand upbto Pete already the man might die any minute seriously.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
This is the truth. Like Russ's hail mary TD last Sunday against the Commanders. It gets people excited, but it's largely a product of luck, and not sustainable.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Fake stats see us after 2015 and Denver currently Stidham will take Wilson's job soon and rob me of my weekly entertainment.

OK, now I'm as confused as @Weadoption.

The thread title is "Geno Smith real deal? ...or just a flash?" (boldface emphasis is mine)

A comment in the thread said
I'm very comfortable with not solid until he does shit vs. LA and SF otherwise **** paying one cent more was that clear enough for you Geno lovers? He's dime a dozen most this fanbase doesn't have a clue about elite quarterbacks because of Russell Wilson

I assumed "He's dime a dozen" (sic) was referring to Geno Smith.

@Weadoption didn't even get that far. He just said
and attached a GIF to give us an implied tone for that "what?":
I replied to him and said
Pro-Bowl QBs with top-of-the-league accuracy are a dime a dozen, evidently 🤷‍♂️
And the reply to that was a little difficult for me to parse, but appears to be about Russell Wilson:
Fake stats see us after 2015 and Denver currently Stidham will take Wilson's job soon and rob me of my weekly entertainment.
I say it appears to be about Wilson because it mentions "us after 2015," which I take to mean the Seahawks since then, but Smith only joined the Seahawks in 2020, and then there's something about Denver, Stidham, and Wilson.

So as I said, now I'm as confused as @Weadoption. I have no idea what the post-2015 Seahawks and the Broncos, Stidham, and Wilson have to do with the price of popcorn in China.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
Exactly the last actual quarterback we had was Hasselbeck and in no way was he elite but he was way better then Geno...
Wrong.

Geno last season outperformed Matt at his best.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HassMa00.htm

Matt made the ProBowl 3X. But never put together a season that was as efficient or as productive as Geno's.

Now, Geno isn't elite by any means. That's clear. But he's been pretty damn good when he's on his game.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
A certain person is making no sense. To answer the question….yes Geno is legit. He’s not the best, he’s far from the worst. What do you think the Jets would offer right now to have Geno as their starting QB?

CactusJack

Reaction score
For 9 of 18 games and counting and is sht against the 49ers and Rams so basically useless. I didn't count that elite playoff performance.
The bigger issue in my eyes when it comes to his struggles has been the play of the O-line. When he's not pressured on a consistent basis, he plays better. That's why the Niners & Rams are such a difficult matchup.

Meanwhile, Russ' game revolved around playing so much off-schedule that it took away the Niners biggest strength- Pass Rush. That gave us an advantage.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
I love Geno but not at 40 million **** you all. Just draft a rookie quarterback you like already John and stand upbto Pete already the man might die any minute seriously.
I thought Geno's number was more like $25M. Am I getting it that badly wrong?

I'm also thinking we might see Jarrett Stidham by week 5 if the Broncos trend continues. RW3 for the highest-paid backup ever. Stidham actually looked pretty good in his week 17 showcasing by the Raiders, looked like a QB who can run an NFL offense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wrong.

Geno last season outperformed Matt at his best.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HassMa00.htm

Matt made the ProBowl 3X. But never put together a season that was as efficient or as productive as Geno's.

Now, Geno isn't elite by any means. That's clear. But he's been pretty damn good when he's on his game.
Not an apples to apples comparison. Hasselbeck played most of his career in a much different NFL.

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, so now it's clear that Geno is a system QB, in Pete's system. I love system QBs who master their system and win with it, you know, guys like Young, Montana, Brady, and other famous system QBs. Kurt Warner is the one that's hard to pigeonhole because he led two different franchises to the Super Bowl, and is just kind of a different cat. IMO Brady brought his system to Tampa and Arians finally scrapped his rubbish and let Tom cook, bring his system. There you have it, Brady was just another system QB. Within an all-time great system.

Can't wait to see what System QB Geno can do within the Waldron/McVay/Carroll system. Maybe as the identity evolves it'll be known as the 13 personnel system?

CactusJack

Reaction score
I thought Geno's number was more like $25M. Am I getting it that badly wrong?
His cap number this year is only $10M. Next year it jumps to $30M & then $33M in the last year of the deal ('25). But the guarantees are relatively low. So the team has an out if things we're to go south.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Is somebody somewhere saying that Geno Smith is costing $40M per year?
His contract averages exactly $25M per year (it's for three years, $75M).
Smith's cap hit this year is $10.1M, then rises to $31.2M in 2024 and then $33.7M in 2025. So even pushing back the accounting of two thirds of his signing bonus to 2024 and 2025, his cap hit never goes over $33.7M, and the way the contract is structured, the Seahawks can easily get out with little in the way of dead money before that final and highest-cap-hit season. The Seahawks will only be using that much of the cap ($33.7M) on Smith if he's proved he's worth it in 2023 and 2024.

EDITED TO ADD: @CactusJack said most of this before I did, because I took a really long time to post this comment.

Last edited: