Audibles. How much leeway is Wilson given ?

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":29kovk0g said:
McGruff":29kovk0g said:
I dont pretend to know why, all I know is that Russell routinely makes poor decisions.

I mean . . . Eat the Ball? Nanobubbles? Good Man Brand? Ciara?

So the Hawks make Wilson the highest paid player in the universe ; in spite of the fact he routinely makes poor decisions ? That doesn't make sense . They could get a rookie QB to routinely make poor decisions on a cheap contract . I think that most of the problems that Wilson has had for most of his career is directly attributed to an OL that Carroll assembles primarily for a run game . Hence the sacks and hurries on pass plays . IMO

I think they paid him to keep getting better at his weaknesses and keep doing the things that make him magical.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The play called, the 1 run audible, and 1 pass audible per play came in last year with schottenheimer. He was starting to call line protections a few years ago and it was really really Rocky. Not sure if he's still doing that or if they cut that out. It was the center's job previous to that and that may have gone back to Britt.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember last year we had the same basic offense with like 25 percent of Schotty's implemented for changes, he was still teaching Wilson how the concepts work and working with Wilson on footwork and reads. I expect more to have been implemented this year. But due to the amount of new players it won't be very complicated initially till the new WR's and Wilson click.

SInce it's an evolving system I can see a audible from pass to run or vice versa being there to use, but now large changes to a play set.

Tical21

Reaction score
xray":3px38jot said:
McGruff":3px38jot said:
I dont pretend to know why, all I know is that Russell routinely makes poor decisions.

So the Hawks make Wilson the highest paid player in the universe ; in spite of the fact he routinely makes poor decisions ? That doesn't make sense . They could get a rookie QB to routinely make poor decisions on a cheap contract . I think that most of the problems that Wilson has had for most of his career is directly attributed to an OL that Carroll assembles primarily for a run game . Hence the sacks and hurries on pass plays . IMO
I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are many plays where Russ can't figure out the defense pre-snap and tries to figure it out on the fly. Surely this effects how often he's going to audible. I'm sure he has line count automatic audibles and sight adjustments, but not sure playcalling at the LOS would work for us.

The worst ones are when a defense is obviously showing something to disguise their coverage. He just has no feel for when someone is bluffing, when someone is disguising. The pick he threw against Chicago last year. He got fooled bad. Before the snap, I was like "crap, Russ thinks this is zone" (or visa versa, I can't remember). It isn't hard to tell when he doesn't know what he's seeing. There's a good handful of plays each game, sometimes more, depending on the defense, where I say out loud presnap "crap, Russ has no idea what he's seeing." He stands there and keeps looking and looking trying to figure it out, and then just snaps. Almost always ends one of four ways.. a 50/50 ball down the sideline, a check-down, a sack, or a scramble. Luckily, he's magical at making plays and making something happen. And man, that dude loves him some cover-0.

ETA: there are a certain number of plays where just about every QB gets fooled, but it does happen quite a bit more often with Russ than the other "good" quarterbacks in the league. This is one of the reasons we don't complete that many intermediate level passes. Those passes against zone need to be completed with anticipation and knowing where and when the windows will happen.

D

DomeHawk

From what I have seen lately I would be fine if they just let him call ALL of the plays.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Tical21":1nqhou9l said:
xray":1nqhou9l said:
McGruff":1nqhou9l said:

ETA: there are a certain number of plays where just about every QB gets fooled, but it does happen quite a bit more often with Russ than the other "good" quarterbacks in the league. This is one of the reasons we don't complete that many intermediate level passes. Those passes against zone need to be completed with anticipation and knowing where and when the windows will happen.

It's surprising he can be at the top of the TD list and the bottom of the INT list with all that handicap in his game. Especially last year when he significantly cut down his scrambling and played more on script. Thank goodness he has the best receivers and RB's in the game. Oh wait. Well at least he has the best pass blocking line in the league. Oh wait, that's not it either. Oh yes, he has the best OC running the offense. Darn it, that's not right either.

Damn. how does a short QB with inferior defense reading skills, crappy pass protection, pedestrian receivers and a backwards OC finish near the top of TD's, QB rating, TD/INT ratio every year?

Nanobubbles?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":m38yzfy2 said:
Mad Dog":m38yzfy2 said:
Tical21":m38yzfy2 said:
xray":m38yzfy2 said:

It's surprising he can be at the top of the TD list and the bottom of the INT list with all that handicap in his game. Especially last year when he significantly cut down his scrambling and played more on script. Thank goodness he has the best receivers and RB's in the game. Oh wait. Well at least he has the best pass blocking line in the league. Oh wait, that's not it either. Oh yes, he has the best OC running the offense. Darn it, that's not right either.

Damn. how does a short QB with inferior defense reading skills, crappy pass protection, pedestrian receivers and a backwards OC finish near the top of TD's, QB rating, TD/INT ratio every year?

Nanobubbles?

Can you produce his rankings in each of those categories for the last 5 years?

Well I can easily find TD's and QB rating:

Russ Luck Brees
TD QBR TD QBR TD QBR
2018 3 3 2 11 6 1
2017 1 10 DNP DNP 11 2
2016 17 14 5 9 3 5
2015 6 1 25 32 7 6
2014 16 10 1 7 5 6

AVG 8.6 7.6 8.3 14.8 6.4 4

So generally better than a healthy Luck and inferior to a GOAT candidate Brees. But top ten average over the last 5 years. Despite being too short, with a crappy OL, pedestrian receivers, troglodyte OC and poor mind skills.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Mad Dog":22gmrcz4 said:
Tical21":22gmrcz4 said:
xray":22gmrcz4 said:
McGruff":22gmrcz4 said:

Nanobubbles?

He succeeds with natural abilities and unique skills despite the fact that Carroll never made much of an attempt to build a an offense around him ; which I always thought was a unforced error on Carroll .

McGruff

Reaction score
Is it possible for a player to be an excellent overall player because of advanced skills in key areas without having to be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!! In every area?

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":3jtqzs44 said:
Is it possible for a player to be an excellent overall player because of advanced skills in key areas without having to be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!! In every area?

No cause Fantasy money is on the line....................

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1ta8jxs9 said:
xray":1ta8jxs9 said:
McGruff":1ta8jxs9 said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are many plays where Russ can't figure out the defense pre-snap and tries to figure it out on the fly. Surely this effects how often he's going to audible. I'm sure he has line count automatic audibles and sight adjustments, but not sure playcalling at the LOS would work for us.

The worst ones are when a defense is obviously showing something to disguise their coverage. He just has no feel for when someone is bluffing, when someone is disguising. The pick he threw against Chicago last year. He got fooled bad. Before the snap, I was like "crap, Russ thinks this is zone" (or visa versa, I can't remember). It isn't hard to tell when he doesn't know what he's seeing. There's a good handful of plays each game, sometimes more, depending on the defense, where I say out loud presnap "crap, Russ has no idea what he's seeing." He stands there and keeps looking and looking trying to figure it out, and then just snaps. Almost always ends one of four ways.. a 50/50 ball down the sideline, a check-down, a sack, or a scramble. Luckily, he's magical at making plays and making something happen. And man, that dude loves him some cover-0.

This is how i'm seeing it ..Great post :2thumbs:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r4fquw7 said:
McGruff":3r4fquw7 said:
I'm not going to form an opinon until we get Anthony!'s take on it.
Funniest response on this board in a while, I'll give you that.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McGruff":2lc6pxft said:
xray":2lc6pxft said:
McGruff":2lc6pxft said:
xray":2lc6pxft said:
I've often wondered about this aspect but never really understood it or the parameters . evidently not all QBs have full control there. :?

I dont think any of know.

HUH?

If you could please learn to read what I mean, and not what I type, it will be easier for all of us.
Actually this might be more funny. Lol

Tical21

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3nhrztsb said:
Tical21":3nhrztsb said:
xray":3nhrztsb said:
McGruff":3nhrztsb said:

Nanobubbles?
He's a helluva playmaker. Probably moreso than anyone at the history of the position. Is insanely accurate. Throws an incredible deep ball. He's great at what he's great at, but reading zone defenses just isn't one of those things. And he needs a running game.

And he does audible often. He's really quick to audible to a run. Not nearly as quick to pass.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":u1rppfq7 said:
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

That's funny as most experts say the opposite. Any evidence of this?

John63

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1qi9ndp5 said:
pehawk":1qi9ndp5 said:
McGruff":1qi9ndp5 said:
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

Let me guess....who else don't you think can read defenses? Kyler, Lamar, Cam?

Sickening, Preach
All I know is, guys like Manning, Luck, Brees, etc never have issues reading defenses. The stats don’t lie.

What stats show how well a qb reads a defense? Let me help you none, so what proof do you have he has trouble reading defenses, I will wait, but bet you none.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":1wssmg1q said:

Routinely and yet the stats show he makes mistakes no more than any top QB.

John63

Reaction score
vin.couve12":33l4licx said:
The play called, the 1 run audible, and 1 pass audible per play came in last year with schottenheimer. He was starting to call line protections a few years ago and it was really really Rocky. Not sure if he's still doing that or if they cut that out. It was the center's job previous to that and that may have gone back to Britt.

That would be interesting since PC said that in 2015.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":3ufw68mr said:
xray":3ufw68mr said:
McGruff":3ufw68mr said:

Proof I will wait.