B. Coleman and J. Mathews

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Nate, I would agree with you at this point. We'll see how mocks change after the Combine. However, if ever the Seahawks are going to reach on a first-rounder, doing it with the 32nd pick is a solid time to do it. At that point, you're getting flawed dudes with upside. As long as they pick a guy with freakish ability that is motivated to get better, they'll make a solid pick.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2uf7s8zq said:
Nick Saban had good reason to be surprised we picked Carpenter. He wasn't a first round value pick. Neither was Bruce Irvin imo. You may be right though, when we aren't picking at the top of round one we seem to reach for players for whatever reason but make up for it with outstanding picks in the later rounds. By the way I am not opposed to picking Coleman at all just don't think spending a first rounder on him is a wise way to use it.

I dont think theres much correlation between who we pick in the first and making up for it in the later rounds other than thats just how the cookie seemed to crumble. we all like bowie and our late round lineman (to some extent), but if carpenter would of got his crap together and put his fat *** into gear he would blow all of them away physically. i just think thats the nature of the beast, we take risks on guys cause we know we will hit at some point. but i think thats kind of what you meant anyways. Itll all depend on the combine really, id be just as happy as you to pick coleman up after the first, i think our difference in opinion is not about what we want them to do, just what we expect certain peoples draft grades are. id be more than happy going kb, then the notredame TE in the second or whatever maximizes our draft value like you were saying.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2mo2ht6m said:
Nick Saban had good reason to be surprised we picked Carpenter. He wasn't a first round value pick. Neither was Bruce Irvin imo. You may be right though, when we aren't picking at the top of round one we seem to reach for players for whatever reason but make up for it with outstanding picks in the later rounds. By the way I am not opposed to picking Coleman at all just don't think spending a first rounder on him is a wise way to use it.

Well, Gabe Carimi was widely touted as a first round grade OT (albeit late). Say what we will about Carpenter he's been a whole lot better than Carimi.

Do I expect we'll use a first rounder on Coleman? Not if we can help it. Do I think there is a strong risk he won't be there at #64. Not super strong but a distinct possibility. If Seattle can't move down by virtue of no willing trade partners, and they suspect he won't be there at #64 -- then I expect them to take him early unless they have good plan B options at WR.

It's very fluid obviously. I can see scenarios where we would take him at 32. I agree, I don't think other teams are as high on him as he is getting pumped up here locally. But I would expect NE to take him with one of their second round picks. If he's been on our radar a long time as suspected, then I'd expect Idzik to also be interested in him. Both those teams need WR talent. And both are teams that could easily be higher on him than normal. I really doubt he's there at #64.

The people that claim he's a R3/R4 guy pretty much only cite his stats this year. Not sure if they've followed him for a while, or if they've seen him at all. His tape in 2013 stinks and if he had 3 years of that -- I'd agree wholeheartedly. But 2013 was a bit of an anomaly for him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of Matthews every time I watch him play or read about his work ethics and football IQ. I would hope that the Seahawks give this kid some serious consideration. When he was on the field, he was the de facto team's #1 receiver and even with tough coverage aimed to stop him he still consistently made big plays throughout the season. I really don't see any limitations except he doesn't have the size of Brandon Coleman or KB, but he still has a body type that many NFL receivers in the past of succeed with:
"Considering his success in the SEC, perhaps it isn't surprising that Matthews looked the part of a future high NFL pick. Some of the conference's biggest names weren't nearly as well-built as the Commodores' star receiver, who sported a chiseled 6-2 (and 5/8-inch), 209-pound frame, long arms (32 5/8 inches) and big hands (10½ inches). LINK

There are a few other receivers I would place in front of Matthews (Watkins, Evans, Robinson, Benjamin, and D. Adams), but I would still consider him at #32. He probably won't go in the first, though. I could see him dropping to the mid/late second round where a lucky team will get a great value pick, similar to last year's Chargers pick of Keenan Allen; another kid I wanted the Seahawks to go after.

What I like the most about Matthews is he appears to have the drive and determination to be great. Here's an example interview -LINK- Remind you of anyone? It sounds to me a bit like Russell Wilson.

The process of finding a receiver who can be a stud usually seems to begin with his measurements, but for players to be great they have to put in the work on the practice field and in the film room. Matthews showed at the Senior Bowl he willing to do that. Once you match that type of work ethic and drive together with Wilson, you get a player who sees the field the same as his quarterback. That imo is more important than any physical ability.

General Manager

Reaction score
Hopefully Davante Adams is there at 32 and there's a descent chance he could be I'd take him over Coleman with our first pick but it's still early we'll see how things look after the combine.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
General Manager":fohqk288 said:
Hopefully Davante Adams is there at 32 and there's a descent chance he could be I'd take him over Coleman with our first pick but it's still early we'll see how things look after the combine.
I want to see more tape of Adams, but I love the mix of speed, athleticism and strength he has which I think would fit with Russell Wilson's style of play. He makes tough catches in traffic which I think Wilson needs of his receivers to feel confident throwing into a tight window and he breaks tackles with ease, which I think he could gain serious YAC yards on either a Russell Wilson scramble play or those quick comeback routes to the outside. He reminds me a bit of Dez Bryant.