Backup QB

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think Tjack should be history. We've seen his best and that was years ago. I would rather have a guy that has an up side. Tjack at best is a less than 50% winner. Sure your taking a chance on a young guy but at least there's hope he'll excel. There's no hope of that with Tjack.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'm guessing we win 60-% of the time with Tarvaris. I'm comfortable with that from our backup

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
AVL":13mdkx6r said:
T-jack hasn't looked good in three years. Last year he sat out preseason injured after a few plays. Move on.
One could argue that he never looked good.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2t28gmod said:
AVL":2t28gmod said:
T-jack hasn't looked good in three years. Last year he sat out preseason injured after a few plays. Move on.

I have to agree with this. I really don't understand why Tarvaris gets so much love here. Yes, he played an entire 7-9 season with a torn pectoral. He's immobile, which isn't what we want behind this line. He failed in Minnesota, allowing him to come back here and re unite with bevell. I honestly feel like we'd be better served looking in another direction at backup, whether it's through the draft or picking up a veteran

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1998td5e said:
Tech Worlds":1998td5e said:
AVL":1998td5e said:

I have to agree with this. I really don't understand why Tarvaris gets so much love here. Yes, he played an entire 7-9 season with a torn pectoral. He's immobile, which isn't what we want behind this line. He failed in Minnesota, allowing him to come back here and re unite with bevell. I honestly feel like we'd be better served looking in another direction at backup, whether it's through the draft or picking up a veteran
How do you figure he "failed" in Minnesota? As a young guy, he had a .500 record there and had 1 more TD than pick. Not earth-shattering numbers, but a long ways than being a QB who "failed"

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":jn2v9b54 said:
Jerhawk":jn2v9b54 said:
Tech Worlds":jn2v9b54 said:
AVL":jn2v9b54 said:

How do you figure he "failed" in Minnesota? As a young guy, he had a .500 record there and had 1 more TD than pick. Not earth-shattering numbers, but a long ways than being a QB who "failed"

If he was a "success" in Minnesota, then why did he get replaced by an aging Brett Favre, who took that team to and NFCCG shortly after Tarvaris left the same roster? And the season after Tarvaris gets his shot to start here, russell takes the same roster from 7-9 to 11-5 as a rookie

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
With all of the other needs that have gotten discussed this offseason, this is one that has flown under the radar for the most part. Personally, with TJack still unsigned, I think back-up QB is a pretty big need.

TJack would be my #1 choice, no question. He has many of the same traits as Russell Wilson, he can scramble, has a strong arm, and most importantly he has experience and the respect of the other guys in that locker room. He clearly wants a chance to start somewhere (which is why he's still unsigned) -- and who can fault the guy for that? In the end, I think he'll end up re-signing with the Hawks as training camp approaches ... but who knows? Definitely my #1 preference would be to sign a veteran QB -- and TJack is my #1 target for sure.

Turning to the draft, Vernon Adams is one that I might shy away from personally. For those who didn't hear it, Rob Rang was on KJR last week talking draft ... and he brought up some excellent points/concerns when it comes to Adams that gave me pause. Yes, he does LOOK a bit like Russell Wilson, but there are some key differences that could really hamper him:

1) Unlike Russell Wilson, Adams has fairly small hands. Big potential there for fumbles -- think Dave Krieg.

2) Russell Wilson has a high release point, which helps to offset some of the issues related to him being 5'11". Adams OTOH has a release point that's much lower and more in the normal range where you see QB's releasing the ball. He's undoubtedly going to get a lot of his balls batted down.

If we're looking at the draft, I would agree that Dak Prescott would be one good name to consider. Here's another I would throw out there from my latest mock at Fanspeak.com ...
QB CODY KESSLER (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) – With Tavaris Jackson still floating out there unsigned, back-up QB is a need that has really flown under the radar for the most part. If he’s intent on seeking employment elsewhere or if the Hawks are looking to get a younger player with some upside, Kessler is a solid name to consider. While he doesn’t have a very strong arm (the real knock on him), there is a lot to really like about him in terms of a back-up QB. Kessler is a cerebral QB and has experience in a Pro Style offense at USC. Kessler goes through his progressions well and his real strength is that he is a very accurate passer (he owns the school record for Completion Percentage at 67.5%) and he doesn’t turn the ball over much (only 12 INT’s over the last 2 years). The one thing that you want from your back-up is to not lose you the game and that’s something he certainly can do.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1ukjzbex said:
Siouxhawk":1ukjzbex said:
Jerhawk":1ukjzbex said:
Tech Worlds":1ukjzbex said:

If he was a "success" in Minnesota, then why did he get replaced by an aging Brett Favre, who took that team to and NFCCG shortly after Tarvaris left the same roster? And the season after Tarvaris gets his shot to start here, russell takes the same roster from 7-9 to 11-5 as a rookie

Um, cause he's a quality backup, not a bona-fide starter?

What you primarily want from a backup, when you have a superstar starter, is a reliable guy who is steady in the clubhouse and won't screw you on the field. Tavaris fits that to a T.

I'm in favor of drafting a guy, even higher than we might expect. But I think it's important to have Tavaris back there to at least compete.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
As each game went by that TJack started for us it became more and more clear to me that our Seahawks were a playoff team if we only had competent quarterback play. It was painfully obvious.

I would prefer we try and find someone better or at least someone who has more potential than TJack.

But if he is all we got then let's roll with him and hope like hell Russell doesn't get hurt and miss more than 2 games.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ojemmgv said:
We still have that Archer guy?

I mean he's no superstar in the making but I was pretty impressed with his overall decision making working with a bunch of third stringers.

Yes, frankly I thought archer looked good in preseason last year.

pehawk

Reaction score
The sensible choice is Tjack...always. That locker room would run through a brick wall for dude. They'd rally behind Tjack if the unfortunate were to occur. No matter what your opinion of TJack is...how his teammates view him is undeniable. Plus, he's a .500 QB which is more than you can ask for in a backup. Alot ot of teams can't even say that of their starter.

The fun choice would be Dak, Kessler (GREAT CALL, Scanner!) and/or Sims. Sims is very intriguing. Prsecott would get the rube/sportsradio guy in me all a titter.

Side note, I'm routinely sickened seeing the likes of Hoyer, Sanchez, Fitz still getting chances and not Tjack. I wonder what the difference is?

Basis4day

Reaction score
xgeoff":3nq1jo61 said:
Hawknballs":3nq1jo61 said:
We still have that Archer guy?

I mean he's no superstar in the making but I was pretty impressed with his overall decision making working with a bunch of third stringers.

Yes, frankly I thought archer looked good in preseason last year.

Where are you seeing he is on the roster? He was cut last year at the final 53.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If your backup quarterback is capable of carrying your team to the playoffs on his back, he won't be your backup quarterback for long.

That isn't what you look for in a backup quarterback.

-bsd

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1wrb6jsj said:
If your backup quarterback is capable of carrying your team to the playoffs on his back, he won't be your backup quarterback for long.

That isn't what you look for in a backup quarterback.

-bsd

Pretty much. If you have an established QB that isn't getting benched, you want your backup to go 2-2 over a 4 game stretch. If your starting QB is out longer than that, you're in trouble anyway.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
1. TJ - healthier and much better than he was in Buffalo or the first time around with the Hawks. In case of injury to Wilson, he is capabke of carrying the Hawks to another Super Bowl win, which is a good thing.

2. Kevin Hogan -- Winner, winner. 6'4", tough, smart, excellent runner, 4th in FBS in passing efficiency, 68% completion pct (6th in FBS), 9.5 yds/passing-attempt (2nd in FBS), 1st in Stanford career offensive yards, 1st in career wins by Stanford QB. His passing numbers are as good as any other QB in the country.

3. Vernon Adams -- Winner, winner, tough, smart, excellent runner, 1st in FBS in passing efficiency.

A couple of the best QB gems are from the Seahawks' backyard -- both are as good as Goff or Wentz.

crosfam

Reaction score
This will be important now that the draft is over. I think if we don't go back to TJack, and even if we do, we sign an experienced, but not ancient, salary cut. I can see it being EJ Manuel, or Geno Smith if they resign Fitzpatrick soon. Somebody with some unrealized upside.

crosfam

Reaction score
Manuel was 2nd/3rd round talent, drafted too early in the first because Buffalo was desperate and did not get the time to develop. I'd like to see it. Good size and athleticism got it done with flair in college. 2nd Chance may make him humble and ready to learn while holding the clipboard.

Need somebody in case of (gasp) RW injury that gives us hope.