BB Suspended Indefinitely

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MadSweeney":xqtyj4vk said:
You guys are deluded about a lawsuit. He did it all to himself and has no one to blame but himself.

Let me see. He didn't receive notification about coming in for testing when he was no longer employed by the league.
While in he was in the CFL, the NFL sent notices to the former address of his former girlfriend, but made no further effort to contact him when a simple Google search would have revealed he was in Canada playing for the CFL. Because of the NFL's lack of effort, and general apathy for his welfare, he was elevated to class 3 offender status.
Do you still say the predicament he's in is ALL his fault? He has grounds to fight this.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2b046a47 said:
Guess he should have just fired an assault rifle at people or racked up a few DUIs instead.

Smith wasn't in the drug program yet when he got his DUI. The situations are not comparable but down the line we will see Aldon getting a length suspension and most likely some jail time as well. But don't let that get in the way of the victim-hood mentality roiling in here.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MadSweeney":3d6yz0lc said:
Basis4day":3d6yz0lc said:
MadSweeney":3d6yz0lc said:
You guys are deluded about a lawsuit. He did it all to himself and has no one to blame but himself.

You don't think he has a chance at injunction based on defamation by the league for the false reports of a PED suspension in a contract year based on information leaked by the league itself? Not to mention unfair labor practices involving drug testing by a corporation he wasn't even employed by.

Defamation requires malice first of all. It also has to actually defame a person. Kind of hard to prove he was defamed because someone sloppily thought he got caught using PEDs AGAIN!!!! He already WAS thought of as a PED user. That's why the initial report assumed it was PEDs since a second strike triggers a year. Sloppy reporting that was quickly fixed and endlessly corrected. Zero case whatsoever for defamation. Maybe, but still unlikely, but if he wasn't already an admitted PED user there'd be a case for it. Still have to prove malice, of which there is zero cause.

Except it is malice when the NFL Network (Which is fully owned by the league) knowingly reported a story they knew to be false. That IS malice, not sloppy reporting. Had ESPN broke the story it's a different issue. But a false report came from the league itself.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":kfppd4ur said:
MadSweeney":kfppd4ur said:
-The Glove-":kfppd4ur said:
CANHawk":kfppd4ur said:
he did what exactly to himself? Missed a bunch of piss tests while he was employed in Canada for 4 years?

Yup. He should have answered his disconnected phone or read his mail while he was sleeping on his friends' couches

Maybe he should've put two and two together and realized that a) pot is illegal in the league and b) getting tessted 200 times over 3 years isn't how non drug offenders have to do.

No one is arguing that he didn't screw up. The argument is that he should not be anywhere near the 1 year suspension mark, but he is because he didn't follow CBA outlines when he wasn't employed by the league or subject to said CBA.

He should've taken care of that 3 yeras ago, not after he was dumb enough to test positive again. Even if he didn't know it was a year, he was still looking at 4 games during the SB run. He's a selfish prick who let the 12s and his team down.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Too bad he can't join the team on this ride, but I'm also excited for Maxwell to have his chance to shine.

plyka

Reaction score
-The Glove-":x8cyv2qx said:
CANHawk":x8cyv2qx said:
MadSweeney":x8cyv2qx said:

he did what exactly to himself? Missed a bunch of piss tests while he was employed in Canada for 4 years?

Yup. He should have answered his disconnected phone or read his mail while he was sleeping on his friends' couches

You sound like a bitter one.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
plyka":1r2o2hc0 said:
-The Glove-":1r2o2hc0 said:
CANHawk":1r2o2hc0 said:
MadSweeney":1r2o2hc0 said:

Bitter? How'd you get that from that post. Have you read any of your own posts?

Basis4day

Reaction score
MadSweeney":38wr90o2 said:
He should've taken care of that 3 yeras ago, not after he was dumb enough to test positive again. Even if he didn't know it was a year, he was still looking at 4 games during the SB run. He's a selfish prick who let the 12s and his team down.

Dude, FO didn't even know he was facing a year long suspension.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Just a blanket warning here for everyone to get off each other's backs. Don't turn on each other

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The Aldon Smith argument is irrelevant. He checked himself into rehab and at least put out an image that he needed help and by rule, The Niners had to be put back on their roster. Browner continued to violate the NFL substance abuse policy and did nothing to help his image (IE check into rehap etc). Has it ever occurred to some people that perhaps he didn't show up to the drug tests because he had weed in his system and didn't want to test positive?? Here is the solution, lay off the weed and you don't have to worry about a positive test.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
So people saying u have to get caught smoking weed more than once to get suspended by the NFL. My question is how many times did Ricky Williams and Walter Thurmond get caught before getting a suspension?

MadSweeney

Reaction score
KK84":16en4sh8 said:
MadSweeney":16en4sh8 said:
KK84":16en4sh8 said:
MadSweeney":16en4sh8 said:

No. He definitely deserved punishment, but it should be done fairly. This is NFL Bullshit at its finest.

What's fairly? A one year suspension is exactly what is fair in this situation. It's black and white in the CBA contract he signed when he got his check.

Rules regarding players that spend time in the CFL are anything but black and white. Yes, smoking weed was stupid and selfish, but he should be punished the same as anyone else who got busted after years of clean tests, not made an example of due to a ridiculous enforcement of the drug program of a league he was not in for years.

Rules involving continued testing and missed tests are very much black and white, it's in the CBA he signed and agreed to. It doesn't matter how many tests he passed, he was still in the program as per the CBA that he signed and agreed to. He's not being made an example, he's getting a by the book enforcement of a rule he needed to know. If I'm getting tested that much and I know I'm looking at the biggest payday of my life as well as a possible SB, I'd be sure to know what I was risking if I decided to risk it all on a blunt.

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":22vg6klh said:
The Aldon Smith argument is irrelevant. He checked himself into rehab and at least put out an image that he needed help and by rule, The Niners had to be put back on their roster. Browner continued to violate the NFL substance abuse policy and did nothing to help his image (IE check into rehap etc). Has it ever occurred to some people that perhaps he didn't show up to the drug tests was because he had weed in his system and didn't want to test positive?? Here is the solution, lay off the weed and you don't have to worry about a positive test.

When he wasn't employed by an NFL team and was playing for the CFL in a different country.

253hawk

Reaction score
MadSweeney":1uswb0ls said:
WindCityHawk":1uswb0ls said:
Guess he should have just fired an assault rifle at people or racked up a few DUIs instead.

Smith wasn't in the drug program yet when he got his DUI. The situations are not comparable but down the line we will see Aldon getting a length suspension and most likely some jail time as well. But don't let that get in the way of the victim-hood mentality roiling in here.

Personal conduct policy =/= substance abuse policy

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3mz519q5 said:
Only in America can you get Keel Hauled for failing a piss test while not even working for the Company demanding said test and then be suspended indefinitely years after the fact when you try and stand up for your rights. Guilty until proven innocent indeed!
It's almost Browner-level stupid to actually put so many incorrect things in one sentence. I don't think you got a single thing right.

CANHawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1abv27vz said:
plyka":1abv27vz said:
-The Glove-":1abv27vz said:
CANHawk":1abv27vz said:

Bitter? How'd you get that from that post. Have you read any of your own posts?

That made me hella LOL Glove...

BullHawk33

Reaction score
The penalty for violating the policy for someone in Stage 3 is an indefinite suspension where the player can apply for reinstatement after 1 year. The penalty didn't change, it was just reported incorrectly. This is hardly an "escalation" of the penalty.

Sorry to see this happen to BB but he made the mistake. Hopefully others on the team can learn. Unfortunately, this will make it really hard to get a job next year without being able to participate in any of the conditioning, training or discussion with teams. As a 30 year old player next year not available until December, chances are he won't find someone interested until the following season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MadSweeney":hgj25ue5 said:
Rules involving continued testing and missed tests are very much black and white, it's in the CBA he signed and agreed to. It doesn't matter how many tests he passed, he was still in the program as per the CBA that he signed and agreed to. He's not being made an example, he's getting a by the book enforcement of a rule he needed to know. If I'm getting tested that much and I know I'm looking at the biggest payday of my life as well as a possible SB, I'd be sure to know what I was risking if I decided to risk it all on a blunt.

It doesn't matter if the rules are black an white when it is an inherently unfair business practice to expect someone working in a different country to submit to a weekly drug test when he is living in a different country and not employed by any team in the NFL.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Anyone here think that Browner could get cut in the next few hours?

And if he's not, then what else is due to come out?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I know, and I agree; ignorance is not an excuse. Way too many people use it as one.

Do suspended players still get Super Bowl rings if they're still with the team at the time?

Latest posts