Bengals vs Bills

RiverDog

Reaction score
If there isn't any positive news today, I will start to worry about something long-term. For now, I don't think we can read much into the tea leaves. All we can do is speculate, wait, and respect the family's wish for privacy.
That's interesting. I'm certainly not questioning your judgment, but I would think that it would be the opposite, a 'no news is good news' type of thing. Everything we've heard to this point says that he's making slow but steady progress.

Does the length of time he's in an induced coma increase the risk of long-term damage to his organs?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
His father addressed the Bills team via zoom.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Well, we finally got the good news that he's neurologically intact & improving according to a Bills team update, & confirmed by the family spokesperson, as reported on the NFL network.

I just had chills go down my body getting this news.

He may even be awake according to teammate Dion Dawkins.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well, we finally got the good news that he's neurologically intact & improving.

Therebis no way to determine if he’s neurologically intact other than for him to be awake to do the tests, such as SLUMS for memory. It’s not like just what year is it and whose the president. You draw a clock at 3:23 pm. You count down by sevens. You are given five words to memorize followed by 5-10 minutes of them talking about different things, after which you are asked to repeat the five words.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Some really great news coming out of Bills camp.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Therebis no way to determine if he’s neurologically intact other than for him to be awake to do the tests, such as SLUMS for memory. It’s not like just what year is it and whose the president. You draw a clock at 3:23 pm. You count down by sevens. You are given five words to memorize followed by 5-10 minutes of them talking about different things, after which you are asked to repeat the five words.

I apologize.

They said 'he appears to be neurologically intact".

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yore right. The bills said that. But until the tests are done, there’s no way to know.

pmedic920

Reaction score
That's interesting. I'm certainly not questioning your judgment, but I would think that it would be the opposite, a 'no news is good news' type of thing. Everything we've heard to this point says that he's making slow but steady progress.

Does the length of time he's in an induced coma increase the risk of long-term damage to his organs?
Maybe yes maybe no.
What I do know is typically the longer one is on mechanical ventilation, the longer and more difficult it is to wean/ get them off.

Muscles get weak (atrophy) over time, the body in a sense becomes dependent on the power of the ventilator vs its own power/muscle.

In terms of damage to organs?
The ventilator does a very good job at ventilating (breathing) for the patient.
Tissue perfusion takes place when there is enough blood in the body to carry enough oxygen to the organs. As long as the heart remains a healthy pump for the blood, and the lungs in conjunction with the ventilator provide enough oxygen there shouldn’t be any organ damage.
Having said that there are other things that could lead to some organ damage, but again it’s very hard to speculate.

My prayer is that this won’t be the case but in fact there are people that lived or are living many years on a ventilator.
Being on a ventilator obviously isn’t a good thing but in itself isn’t going to cause end of life.

Edit:
Sorry I didn’t actually address the “induced coma”
If you’re talking specifically about the medications used for this, I can give you some vague information.
Depending on what they are using and how much it takes, the medications are fairly safe. I’ve seen some trauma/burn patients be sedated on a ventilator for much longer than we are taking about here (so far).
I don’t believe there is much risk of the medication causing any damage at this point, or any in the near future.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This sounds like really good news:

Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin has shown what physicians treating him are calling “remarkable improvement over the past 24 hours,” the team announced Thursday, three days after the player went into cardiac arrest and had to be resuscitated on the field.

“While still critically ill, he has demonstrated that he appears to be neurologically intact,” the Bills said in a statement. “His lungs continue to heal and he is making steady progress.”

Bills rookie cornerback Kaiir Elam also posted a message on his Twitter account that said Hamlin “is doing better, awake and showing signs of improvement.”

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maybe yes maybe no.
What I do know is typically the longer one is on mechanical ventilation, the longer and more difficult it is to wean/ get them off.

Muscles get weak (atrophy) over time, the body in a sense becomes dependent on the power of the ventilator vs its own power/muscle.

In terms of damage to organs?
The ventilator does a very good job at ventilating (breathing) for the patient.
Tissue perfusion takes place when there is enough blood in the body to carry enough oxygen to the organs. As long as the heart remains a healthy pump for the blood, and the lungs in conjunction with the ventilator provide enough oxygen there shouldn’t be any organ damage.
Having said that there are other things that could lead to some organ damage, but again it’s very hard to speculate.

My prayer is that this won’t be the case but in fact there are people that lived or are living many years on a ventilator.
Being on a ventilator obviously isn’t a good thing but in itself isn’t going to cause end of life.

Edit:
Sorry I didn’t actually address the “induced coma”
If you’re talking specifically about the medications used for this, I can give you some vague information.
Depending on what they are using and how much it takes, the medications are fairly safe. I’ve seen some trauma/burn patients be sedated on a ventilator for much longer than we are taking about here (so far).
I don’t believe there is much risk of the medication causing any damage at this point, or any in the near future.
Thanks, Pmed. All of that is good information.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent information today. "Remarkable improvement" is the best any of us could have hoped to hear at this stage. The fact that he was awake and responsive and holding hands with family is a testament to his strength, resiliency, the excellent medical care he has received since the moment he collapsed on the field and yes, while not religious, I am very spiritual and the power of prayer is very, very, real.

Keep it up Damar! It's going to be wonderful when he is able to fully appreciate all the love and donations and support he has received from the beginning.

And yep, I just bought his jersey to support his charity. First non-Seahawks jersey I have owned since my Ahmad Rashad Vikings home jersey which was before the Seahawks were even a team.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
for the record:
It’s an absolute fallacy that if you’ve been trained in CPR you can be held liable/responsible for a life you tried in good faith to save.
Good Samaritan Laws protect you.
I’d like to add that another obvious reason for this is because technically you are working on a dead person, and without trying to save this person there is only one outcome.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Nfln has his doctors on right now. One said that he woke and even asked who won the game in writing, since the intubation tube is still in.

Their response: “yes you won, Damar. You won the game of life.”

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Interesting Tweet from PFT. Not that I believe much of what they say. Just passing on what I came across

@ProFootballTalk

Here's a look at where things currently stand as to scheduling: 1. No Bills-Bengals game. 2. NFL figuring out what to do with AFC seeding. 3. Neutral site for AFC Championship is possible. 4. Expansion of playoff fields to 8 teams in AFC, NFC is possible.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
This news is a tremendous relief, hopefully the next news we hear is that he will be expected to make a full recovery & not suffer any serious long term damage. Thankfully, he was in excellent care, from the on-field medical staff to the doctors at the hospital. I like to believe that all the hopes & prayers sent his way helped as well.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A comment from one of the attending physicians:

He also said Hamlin's inquiry about the result of Monday's game was a sign that "all cylinders are firing within his brain."

Fantastic news! The past few days, every time I pick up my tablet, the first thing I do is check and see if there's any new information, and one of my go-to's has been this forum/thread. Thank, guys, for participating.

kidhawk

Reaction score

The NFL will not resume the Bills-Bengals game that was suspended Monday night after Buffalo safety Damar Hamlin collapsed and went into cardiac arrest on the field, two people familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Both people spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the league is still figuring out how to determine playoff seedings and scheduling. The NFL Players Association must approve changes.

As it's the AP, I trust that they did some due diligence, so it looks like they aren't going to finish this game. As the article says, they are still working out all the details that go along with this decision (and there are many), thus no official announcement.

bigskydoc

Reaction score

Partly, it's just knowing the timing of how these things go, and partly it is that the most likely scenario was that he was in a protocol that kept him sedated and medically paralyzed for the first 48 hours. They would not have tried to wake him up, nor would there have been any point in trying to evaluate him for recovery.

Once that window passed, they would have started to wake him up, and evaluate him, and that's when we would expect to get a reliable report on his condition.

If it had stretched into another 24, 48 hours, with no news, I would start preparing for the worst.

Everything I'm hearing is pointing in the right direction, and it is promising that he asked about the game.

Length of time in an induced coma significantly increases the risk of a host of complications.