Bennett not open to home town discount

jblaze

Reaction score
This is all just posturing by Bennett for negotiations sake. He may or may not take a little less to stay in Seattle. The key phrase here is a "little less". NFL careers are short and he's had to work his way up to the player he is now and this is his last chance at a big contract. He basically played the last two years on a "prove it" contract and now he's proven it, it's time to pay up.

I don't blame him in the least but who knows what actually goes on behind he scenes. I'd say the same thing in order to give my agent some leverage and set the tone so to speak.

Subzero717

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xoq7metw said:
CALIHAWK1":xoq7metw said:
This was actually a topic on radio as i was driving home yesterday. Bennets numbers are nearly identical to his numbers in Tampa. The question was asked, "does winning a SB change your value that much. He is a year older etc. Is the market for him going to be significantly better this year than last?

Paul Kruger. Won a championship with the Ravens then signed a big contract with Cleveland. His numbers were never eye-popping, and Cleveland is regretting that deal big time now.

His name came to mind. There are several examples. Benners however has a longer resume.

Subzero717

Reaction score
plyka":37s8l3kj said:
onanygivensunday":37s8l3kj said:
CALIHAWK1":37s8l3kj said:
This was actually a topic on radio as i was driving home yesterday. Bennets numbers are nearly identical to his numbers in Tampa. The question was asked, "does winning a SB change your value that much. He is a year older etc. Is the market for him going to be significantly better this year than last?
That's a very good point.

Bennett made $4.8M this year on a one-year deal.

Seems to me that we should be able to sign him for close to $6M/year on a 3-year deal with a suitable signing bonus and portion guaranteed.

Not going to happen. I think Bennett is looking for Sherm/Earl type money, which is what premier defensive linemen get. That's 10-12m per year for a number of years. If I was the Hawks I would easily bring him back for 6m for 3years without even a second look. But that's not what premier linemen make.

Im not trying to devalue him in anyway but, he doesnt even start. Premier lineman start. Given our system is very unique. Id also say he could and next year probably should start assuming we part ways with Clemons.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Its a business, and a cut throat one at that. Tate coming straight out and saying he would be willing to take a little less, likely made a few fans happy but the reality is that the Seahawks will either step up and pay them, or they wont. I would not want John Schneider's job right now. If you allow a guy to leave in FA you will have to face that player on the field again at some point in time. Its an easy proposition if the guy is under-performing, far less so when they just rocked the world! I am preparing myself for some painful decisions in the next month or so!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":1g3qshj8 said:
onanygivensunday":1g3qshj8 said:
CALIHAWK1":1g3qshj8 said:
That's a very good point.

Bennett made $4.8M this year on a one-year deal.

Seems to me that we should be able to sign him for close to $6M/year on a 3-year deal with a suitable signing bonus and portion guaranteed.

Not going to happen. I think Bennett is looking for Sherm/Earl type money, which is what premier defensive linemen get. That's 10-12m per year for a number of years. If I was the Hawks I would easily bring him back for 6m for 3years without even a second look. But that's not what premier linemen make.

I don't think Bennett's in that rarified air. D-Lineman have to be in the 20 sack a year range to get that kind of contract. If I had to guess he's more in the 8-9 million per year range. Which would make sense for us because we're cutting Clem, who is suppose to make like 8 million in 2014. So cut Clem and give that money to Bennett on a 2-3 year deal.

Our problem comes in if another team goes insane and does overpay Bennett on a 4-5 year deal for over 10 million per. But that's risky cause he's 28 and just about any team that's willing to do that is a contending team..........which means they're also probably up against the cap.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2u8jnsy3 said:
Bennett at 5/35 is about my limit.

Yeah, I agree. That's the number I keep coming to in my head. Basically replace Red Bryant's contract.

jblaze

Reaction score
Bennett won't get 5 years. He'll get a clone of the Clemons contract @ 3/21.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Aros":199jzufc said:
In Schneider I Trust.

and in Bennett.

Seattle will offer them what they can (which isnt what he deserves)

Bennett will have a choice to make. Win for less, or play for more.

cant argue either side is wrong. just have to wait and see.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I guess he's going to Chicago, this team will need to look for another solid pass rusher to replace him.

I like him but don't feel like breaking the bank is necessary, its a team game.

lukerguy

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3fa6ofgy said:
I guess he's going to Chicago, this team will need to look for another solid pass rusher to replace him.

I like him but don't feel like breaking the bank is necessary, its a team game.

If the Bears grab Bennett, then Melton will be on the market. A healthy Melton is regarded as better than Bennett.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jblaze":14gv4hgt said:

IMO, that's exactly the deal he should get (w/ an "out" in Year 3 like Clem). You have to remember that Clem was an every-down linemen coming off back-to-back 11-sack seasons when he got his deal. Yes, Bennett does have a unique skill-set, but that also means he isn't a perfect fit for every scheme. I don't think you can re-sign him for much more than this amount -- you'd probably be better off signing Golden + a bargain rusher instead.

jblaze

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1lf3yprb said:
jblaze":1lf3yprb said:

IMO, this is the deal he should get (w/ an "out" in Year 3 like Clem). You have to remember that Clem was an every-down linemen coming off back-to-back 11-sack seasons when he got his deal. Yes, Bennett does have a unique skill-set, but that also means he isn't a perfect fit for every scheme. I don't think you can re-sign him for much more than this amount -- you'd probably be better off signing Golden + a bargain rusher instead.

Bennett's value is actually in his versatility. Also with Bryant likely gone, they'll need a big DE to play the run stuff role on run downs. Bennett could play inside on pass downs with Avril and Irvin on the outside and effectively have 3 excellent pass rushers on passing downs. He could play DE on rush downs with two big DT's inside because he's a DT/DE hybrid and plays both positions well. JS/PC love the versatile hybrid types that they can shift around. He fits that role perfectly and not many others can do that.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
plyka":4l18mlat said:
onanygivensunday":4l18mlat said:
CALIHAWK1":4l18mlat said:

Yep. I'll be surprised if he gets less than 5/40.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I'd love to have MB back, but I'm certainly not optimistic that it will happen. Can't blame him. This is his shot at the "lifetime contract" in a game where one play could be your last and I thought we saw that very thing when he left the field on a stretcher at Houston this season. Amazing that he was playing again the next week and had the season he did after that scary incident.

He has about a month to do some soul-searching. I actually won't be surprised whether he goes or stays.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1nvdxe9v said:
plyka":1nvdxe9v said:
onanygivensunday":1nvdxe9v said:
CALIHAWK1":1nvdxe9v said:

Yep. I'll be surprised if he gets less than 5/40.

He is 29. Just sayin 5 years seems high.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man, I really hope Michael is able to get a deal done with us. Yeah, he may have had similar numbers to what he had in Tampa the year before, but his impact reaches far greater than what the numbers say. I mean he was constantly doubled teamed, heck sometimes even triple teamed (see the Superbowl) thus allowing to leave our DEs 1 on 1 with tackles. I hope the FO can find a way to get him back.