Bennett not open to home town discount

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Xarbx425":2cl9xwje said:
Would you guys do 3 years 25 million?

Do you think he's one of the top 3 DEs in the league?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I know this is probably opening a can of worms, but I'm surprised no one has found loop holes to pay players what they're worth without hurting their salary cap. i.e. I'm going to pay you $2M/year on your contract, but at the same time you can make an extra $3M a year making a few commercials for my side company. Or that Quiznos commercial...would you like this salary without lettuce...or this one covered with green "confetti."

Hawkspur

Reaction score
That's true. But he'd be unlikely to play out the contract, a la Chris Clemons, who turns 33 during the season and is scheduled to make $9m +. Maybe it'd be a 3 year deal like Clemons', but if so I reckon it'd bd more like 3/25.

The Bears, if they do want him (they could really do with him), have a tonne of cap space, IIRC. So do the Jags.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":faat3oza said:
I know this is probably opening a can of worms, but I'm surprised no one has found loop holes to pay players what they're worth without hurting their salary cap. i.e. I'm going to pay you $2M/year on your contract, but at the same time you can make an extra $3M a year making a few commercials for my side company. Or that Quiznos commercial...would you like this salary without lettuce...or this one covered with green "confetti."

No, you can't do that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I saw that interview on NFL.com and I agree with Bennett. He was point blank about hometown discount. He said he didn't give discounts for his efforts (taking plays off, etc) why should he take a discount when it came to pay. He's wants a fair contract. Only he and the team will know what is fair. We assume, most times incorrectly, what it will take to re-sign him. There are other factors besides money that may be involved but the question asked was about money, it wasn't asked what it would take the Seahawks to re-sign him. I'm sure he wants to test the market to get a fair value of what his worth is. I don't fault any player for doing that. Teams are quick to release players so even if he took a discount and stayed, it doesn't help him if the team doesn't stick by him if his play decreases. He's in his prime and this could be the last big contract he gets.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Bennett had a worse statistical year than he did the season prior in TB. It's only because he was a part of a SB winning D that he is getting more media recognition. You have to believe other teams are still leery of a mega-contract given his torn rotator cuff.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'll hold nothing against him if he leaves for a big deal, and I don't expect him to stay at a significant discount. The only problem I have is determining his perceived value. At the end of the day, he found success here as a situational DE/DT hybrid. On film, he looked like a beast, but he also benefited from Seattle's D-line rotation and tight coverage in the secondary. He also played 8 games in C-Link, which has historically been pass-rusher friendly. Is he really worth premiere d-line money to the rest of the league with those things taken into account? He's a unique player, so it's tough to figure out.

Northhawk

Reaction score
I like what Bennett did this year but I'm assuming he's gone. His age, injury and desire for a big contract go against the PC/ JC philosophy of cheap, young, over achievers at a decent price on D. Bennett has achieved and deserves to get as much as he can, it just won't be here IMO.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Also, as is often mentioned here, there are only 7 states with no income tax (and only 3 that have NFL teams):

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Note that Illinois is NOT on that list and please factor that into your decision, Michael. Thanks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Also on the topic of cap circumvention, remember that it is the owners who want to prevent this and Goodell can make up his own rules when penalizing individual teams to benefit the rest of the league.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
State income tax doesn't matter, except for home games. When they play in another state, it my understanding that every player gets taxed in that state if they have tax

checkdanews

Reaction score
No disrespect to anyone but I'm already so tired of hearing about this. Also tired of people who know Nada about the hawks brand of football, yet try to comment on this situation, this is not your daddy's football team, we don't run things like ur dads football team, quit trying to use logic from other teams front offices on our FO. Sorry writing from a tablet... I suck.

ivotuk

Reaction score
plyka":1pbwlpy0 said:
I love Bennett and hope he does break the bank --just not in Seattle. It is a plain fact, I've heard countless coaches relay the same thing: the problem after superbowl victories is that each player "wants his." Whether that's fame, money, whatever. Usually they believe they are superbowl champs and deserve to get paid big time, from the QB to the janitor in the back room.

This is what takes teams down. So, Bennett played excellently, he is a big part of the reason why this team won, but I think it's probably best to let him go. You can't pay people even what they are FAIRLY worth, because this is a superbowl team, and FAIRLY is pretty high for all the players on this team right now. I would hope the Hawks allow him to leave.

Again, Sherman called this last week sometime. Give it to Sherm, he is a smart kid.

Pretty much what Plyka said. I must be ill though to be agreeing with him :shock:

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Would be nice to keep him, but understand if he takes the money deal from beyond.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
No player should take a discount, they should take as much as they can get, teams can cut a player at anytime and most players are lucky to even get a chance at that 2nd contract. Probably the only chance they got at getting paid so I don't hold anything against them if someone is willing to pay 100 million then they should take it.

Him being designated as a DE is going to make his contract pretty big, hopefully his utility skill set only limits the number of bidders out there. Avril will be more expensive in a year too so they should try and lock both of them up now for the next 3-4 years if they can.

Latest posts