Bennett still grumbling to the media

Reaction score
Talking about holding out now:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ld-holdout

Bennett, who opted to re-sign with the Seahawks instead of signing as a free agent elsewhere, said he has outplayed his contract.

"I know a lot of people disagree because I don't put up all the numbers, but if you watch the games, I'm doing good things," he said. "They want me to play five positions but pay me for one."

hawknation2015

Reaction score
QuickLightning":igchozgp said:
Talking about holding out now:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ld-holdout

Bennett, who opted to re-sign with the Seahawks instead of signing as a free agent elsewhere, said he has outplayed his contract.

"I know a lot of people disagree because I don't put up all the numbers, but if you watch the games, I'm doing good things," he said. "They want me to play five positions but pay me for one."

Another article that gets his name out there. Mission accomplished.

seahawks08

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":xht4l5mb said:
If it's a performance-based raise...was he that much better in 2014 then he was in 2013? Or is it a case that other players in his position have signed new contracts for more money and now he feels short-changed? Or did he really sign a bad contract during the whole post-Super Bowl euphoria and now has remorse?

A little bit of everything, but the league is the way it is. There is nothing you can do to change that, unless the league decides. For NFL owners will never agree to guaranteed contracts as it is a high contact sports. Unless they make it completely flag footbalish, you have to live with what you have signed. I know Marshawn had his deal reworked, but Benett is not Marshawn. It depends on what the team sees in every position and value to the organization to bend backwards and get stuff done. I can almost think that Marshawn was considered more valuable than RW for the team to retain its running first ability. I remember Pete said long time ago, serviceable quaterbacks can still win you games if you have a strong run first mind set and the personnel to do that.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":22jqkgp2 said:
I have a theory that Bennett is actually afraid of holding out and racking up fines, so as a 'hail mary' desperation ploy, he's trying his best to get concessions from the team before it gets to that point by making threats through the media.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bennett drops the act once the threat of the first fine comes. Bennett can't be 100% sure that he'll have enough leverage to have the fines forgiven later.

Exactly. MB loves his money, that is all he talks about in interviews. No way does he hold out because the FO will not give in and he will rack up hefty fines.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well, I suppose we could pay RW and tell Bennett to stay home for a long long time. :p

Hawks46

Reaction score
sc85sis":2uwlktbe said:
Bennett is an important part of our d-line rotation and it would suck if he held out. He is not irreplaceable, however. He needs to realize that if he doesn't already.

Marshawn got a small concession last year in moving some money up front a year because of his importance to the team. Bennett's importance is not on the same level.

Completely agree. Lynch is a unique player. He's very difficult to replace, and the OL (or lack thereof) is built around his strengths and Wilson's ability to scramble.

Bennett is not unique in much that he does. Look at the numbers, and he's strictly average when playing outside the Tackle. He shines when he plays over guard or inside the Tackle.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Fwiw one of the NFL network morning guys just said he spoke with Bennett yesterday who told him that he will hold out and will not be deterred by fines because he feels he has outplayed his contract and deserves more.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Bennett shutting his pie hole for once. You got a big contract and now you want to re-do it? Lame sauce

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
ivotuk":24hfsauz said:
Sprfunk":24hfsauz said:
GLio14":24hfsauz said:
Honestly, the NFL gotta get rid of this rule that players are allowed to restructure deals. You sign a contract, own up to it dammit. Especially when you just signed it a year ago. It's honestly one of the most immature things.

Nfl teams constantly break contracts with players. Its a two way street.

No they don't.

When a player signs a contract, he understands there's only one thing he can count on, the guaranteed money. He's going to have to earn the rest.
This. I don't get why people refuse to see this. Players understand the real numbers in a contract, the media just reports the most possibly money a player CAN make during the length of the contract. But the players and agents focus on the guaranteed money.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Bennett's whining is falling on deaf ears here.

He's not Lynch. The team won't cave.

Suck it up, big boy.

Don't report to TC?... someone will step in and take your job... your choice,

Reaction score
He's one of the best D-Linemen in the league. I don't think he's worried about someone taking his job.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't think Bennett is foolish enough to shoot himself in the foot beyond repair. He strikes me as a very smart guy overall, not to mention hella entertaining.

Bennett will be in mandatory camp activities once they start, and will be a starter on opening day. Book it.
It makes for good offseason drama in the meantime, though. Anything to keep the fans engaged.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Simple, Trade Bennett to the highest bidder, trade Irvin as well. = 10+ million for RW & Wagner extensions. They both don't want to be here, so how is that "buying in"? If Clark isn't half bad & Hill, Marsh are healthy, not all that much drop off there.

How about a new rumor, the Seahawks FO is stalling the RW negotiations while they quietly shop Bennett to free up $. That's probably as realistic as some of the current BS "reports" out there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3tlgj17k said:
Simple, Trade Bennett to the highest bidder, trade Irvin as well. = 10+ million for RW & Wagner extensions. They both don't want to be here, so how is that "buying in"? If Clark isn't half bad & Hill, Marsh are healthy, not all that much drop off there.

How about a new rumor, the Seahawks FO is stalling the RW negotiations while they quietly shop Bennett to free up $. That's probably as realistic as some of the current BS "reports" out there.

Couple major problems with this idea:

(1) Trading or releasing Bennett would cost us $12 million in dead money against the cap.

(2) Losing Bennett would severely impair our pass rush and defensive line rotation. He played 829/979 snaps last season or 84.7%. It would be an undeniable loss for the defense.

Throw in two new corners in the defensive secondary, in addition to your suggested trade of Irvin, and the defense would suddenly look much more ordinary than it has been over the last 3 1/2 seasons.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't get how he thinks he out played his contract with 7 sacks and 2 tackles per game? He has the best defense in football around him to support him. He has the two best safety's and the best cover corner back there to help shut down the QBs receiving options.

A

Anonymous

brimsalabim":gythzu5f said:
I don't get how he thinks he out played his contract with 7 sacks and 2 tackles per game? He has the best defense in football around him to support him. He has the two best safety's and the best cover corner back there to help shut down the QBs receiving options.

Ahhh, the "supporting cast" argument.

:stirthepot:

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":1h880mbi said:
I have a theory that Bennett is actually afraid of holding out and racking up fines, so as a 'hail mary' desperation ploy, he's trying his best to get concessions from the team before it gets to that point by making threats through the media.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bennett drops the act once the threat of the first fine comes. Bennett can't be 100% sure that he'll have enough leverage to have the fines forgiven later.

This is how I see it. Bennett loves money too much to lose it at 30k/day. He's posturing to hold out hoping that by shaking the tree, something falls down for him.

I also think he likes to get his name out there and loves the attention. The sad part is that he typically makes himself look like an idiot while doing so. I'm not too worried about Bennett. He'll play. I also think that by next year, if he keeps this up that Frank Clark will make him expendable.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13386 ... e-seahawks

Michael Bennett fears middle men being priced out with Seahawks deals

defensive end Michael Bennett fears Seattle's middle men might eventually be casualties of the spending spree.

"They can't pay everybody, but they do pay people," Bennett told Yahoo! Sports. "They pay certain people a lot of money, and other guys feel like they should be paid just as much as those guys because everybody contributes to the Super Bowls and the championships."

"That's what people don't understand, people talk about Tony McDaniels like, 'Oh, he's just another guy,' but think about, how does a Bobby Wagner make those tackles? These are the workers," he told Yahoo!

Sigh. Michael.... what would you like them to do? Not pay our elite players? If we don't another team will. Then we can fill our roster up with the "middle men"? How would that look? How much could we win if we had a team full of average players on mid-tier veteran contracts? :34853_doh:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sounds like Bennett should be talking to the other players and telling them to all accept equal deals in the mid-salary range.

I'm sure the front office would be thrilled to hand out mid-range contracts to all our players. Give all the good players a smaller salary and keep everybody. I don't really think the Front Office is the one pushing to pay the players more.

Bennett's issue isn't really with the front office. It's with the greed of the players wanting the big, top-of-the-market deals.

Latest posts