Best individual defensive year by a Hawk

Shane Falco

Reaction score
ivotuk":1as0yyty said:
14 sacks on a shitty team where the defense was on the field all of the time, as a Defensive Tackle, being double teamed.

Tez was an amazing man. The world lost a great football player, and an even better man in him.

And even quite often triple teamed as I recall. Truly amazing indeed. I don't think you could convey how bad that offense was to someone that didn't watch those games that season. It literally was 3 and outs or turnovers galore. Historically inept. I sure did watch every game for Tez and that defense that season though.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
I believe we have already covered the top three pretty well, but rounding out the top 5-10 gives a little more leeway to talk about other perfromances

To throw out another great Defensive performance that deserves recognition,

Lofa Tatupu in 2005.

This rookie came in and was pivotal in the Seahawks making their first Superbowl appearance. While 104 tackles, 4 sacks and three interceptions is a good year for a good player, my recollections watching that season had Lofa directing traffic and coordinating the Defense to help generate their 50 total sacks, allowing only 271 points, and producing games which showed team level defensive domination that would not be seen until the current era.

While the stats might not show as one of the best ever - they were certainly excellent, but not epic - the stats in combination of his leadership and performance on the field puts his 2005 year up there as one of the best individual defensive performances in my mind.

As a comparison, the 2013 Superbowl winning team allowed 231 points -not all that far off. We may overlook the outstanding defensive performance of 2005 because we are now too accustomed to seeing league-leading levels of defensive play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Eugene Robinson not mentioned or Dave Brown, both very underrated and because of Easley not recognized as much, but had a great impact much like the LOB.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1rsoywo5 said:
Eugene Robinson not mentioned or Dave Brown, both very underrated and because of Easley not recognized as much, but had a great impact much like the LOB.

Outstanding names which I had a problem boiling down to only one best individual year, like Jacob Green - one of my all time favorites and one of the best Seahawks ever in my opinion

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tez
Easley
Wagner

In that order. Interesting to think that only two of them have franchise records while one of them that has a franchise record doesn't have a DPOY. Does that make it default to Easley then? Maybe...

Ozzy

Reaction score
Shermans 2-3 year stint was the best I've seen from a Seahawk. Thomas is up there too but it's harder to quantify what he does at times although he deserves to be in the conversation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

semiahmoo

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":31q7lp1m said:
In '84, Kenny Easley had 10 interceptions as a safety. To put that in perspective, Richard Sherman's best is 8 interceptions in a season, as a cornerback.

Easley would have dominated in any era. Absolute beast from that position.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1m1iwzlm said:
I thought Bobby Wagner had a hugely underrated year last year for me. He would have been DPOY if it wasnt for the media's obsession with sack numbers and the Seahawks being comparatively under the radar. He's the best MLB in the league but cry baby Kuechly gets all the love.

Agreed. Wagner is big time.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mikehawks":2w44qu7d said:
Brian Bosworth 1987

Forget about stats for second.....

Boz was good. He arrived with bum shoulders and played through it at a very high level. Of course those shoulders deteriorated quickly and that was that.

Top 3 college linebacker of all time with an argument for the best of all time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":148eebxn said:
KiwiHawk":148eebxn said:
In '84, Kenny Easley had 10 interceptions as a safety. To put that in perspective, Richard Sherman's best is 8 interceptions in a season, as a cornerback.

Hell yes..You will never see another like him-He even ran back punts and scored

semiahmoo

Reaction score
IndyHawk":137ippwv said:
semiahmoo":137ippwv said:
KiwiHawk":137ippwv said:

Hell yes..You will never see another like him-He even ran back punts and scored
[youtube]7Qzg_7ePHjo[/youtube]