Best Player in Team History

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":v9put3q2 said:
Right now.......Big Walt barely over Largent. By the end of his career, Russ by a pretty large margin.

I really don't get how you can say Russ by a large margin, Jones is one of the best players ever to play the game, that is pretty disrespectful to Jones. I agree I think Wilson will have a great career and do special things but no one can predict the future.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":13ticwea said:
hawksfansinceday1":13ticwea said:
Right now.......Big Walt barely over Largent. By the end of his career, Russ by a pretty large margin.

I really don't get how you can say Russ by a large margin, Jones is one of the best players ever to play the game, that is pretty disrespectful to Jones. I agree I think Wilson will have a great career and do special things but no one can predict the future.
Of course not and believe you me, NO disrespect meant toward Walt. He made a Pro Bowl player literally quit out of frustration (Patrick Kearny when he was a Falcon). Just my opinion of where Russ will end up.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Too many tough choices, so I'd probably go Rick Mirer just so that all the good players got snubbed equally

seanutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nlrgcics said:
Yeah, tough to go against Largent. Walt would be my choice, but both are great choices.
:13: :13:

halfrack

Reaction score
Largent. Game over. Walt was great no question. The records that Rice broke were Largent's.

irocdave

Reaction score
Largent followed closely by TEZ and Walt in my 30+ years of viewing. Walt was awesome but his contribution didn't differentiate himself from the others around him as much as SL's.

Tez trails WJ just because Walt dominated for much longer. However TEZ was named DPOTY on a 2 win team IIRC.

For those that mention RW, I truly hope your trolling this thread. If your not, you need to sit down and wait it out for the next 5 years. Not saying he isn't on the right track, but he is in the first mile of the marathon right now. Largent, Tez and Walt had long productive careers in the NFL that have led to enshrinement in to the HOF. If you think RW has done that than consider the rapist from the team that shall not be mentioned by me has two rings without contributing much to there cause.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I agree Sailor, by then Jon Ryan will have inserted himself in the conversation. That's who you're talking about, right?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
God, I love it when LINEMEN are getting recognized! Linemen over receivers all the time. Backs another story, since Marshawn came into the picture. Hell, he is still writing history!

ManBunts

Reaction score
Love me some Russell Wilson, obviously the future of the franchise, but to date, I don't think he even enters the discussion. If you broke it down by era, then he MIGHT enter the conversation, but I think out of modern players I'd take Lynch over Wilson currently. Beast Mode was carrying this team long before Russell.

That said, overall, I'm going Walter Jones. Respect to Largent, he's a CLOSE second, but in terms of positional impact, there are multiple offensive weapons. But look at the success of guys like Watters and Alexander. A great offensive tackle makes the entire team better

warden

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2xu72od1 said:
Russell Wilson. Only QB to win it all.

Under your logic, Okung should get the nod over Jones for he is the only starting LT to win it all for Seahawks

Great QBs don't win Superbowls, just ask Dan Marino. He11 Manning coming off the greatest season ever by a QB lost last years Super Bowl. Superbowls are won by great teams with good QBs on them. The QB gets too much credit when it goes well and takes too much blame when it is not going so good.

byau

Reaction score
Good conversations because it is so subjective with unique context.

For me it's Largent. For years and years and years he was *THE* consistent bright spot for the Hawks. Throughout all the below he was the consistent beacon of hope, or at least a reason to watch the games.

* Zone-to-Largent era
* Krieg-to-Largent era,
* the rise and fall of Curt Warner (dangnab injuries)
* rise and fall of Kenny Easley (dangnab injuries)
* the jinxed season after that Super Bowl song they put together (don't even remember the name of it!)

When he retired, he held all major NFL receiving records
* Career receptions
* Touchdown receptions
* Consecutive regular-season games with a reception
* First receiver to achieve 100 TD receptions

And not to mention when he retired, the Hawks created an award in his name for spirit, dedication, and integrity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Largent_Award

It's hard to compare era to era already, even harder to compare position to position. I love that linemen are getting recognized too. But throughout the years my football mind was not mature enough to appreciate them, and so all my memories and my favorite Seahawk is still Steve Largent and so he's my best ever.

But there are quite a few candidates on the current team that I hope will soon be up there in that conversation :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
byau":1c944szg said:
Good conversations because it is so subjective with unique context.

For me it's Largent. For years and years and years he was *THE* consistent bright spot for the Hawks. Throughout all the below he was the consistent beacon of hope, or at least a reason to watch the games.

* Zone-to-Largent era
* Krieg-to-Largent era,
* the rise and fall of Curt Warner (dangnab injuries)
* rise and fall of Kenny Easley (dangnab injuries)
* the jinxed season after that Super Bowl song they put together (don't even remember the name of it!)

When he retired, he held all major NFL receiving records
* Career receptions
* Touchdown receptions
* Consecutive regular-season games with a reception
* First receiver to achieve 100 TD receptions

And not to mention when he retired, the Hawks created an award in his name for spirit, dedication, and integrity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Largent_Award

It's hard to compare era to era already, even harder to compare position to position. I love that linemen are getting recognized too. But throughout the years my football mind was not mature enough to appreciate them, and so all my memories and my favorite Seahawk is still Steve Largent and so he's my best ever.

But there are quite a few candidates on the current team that I hope will soon be up there in that conversation :D

This for me as well. There is no way to over estimate the impact of Walter Jones, but Largent was the face and for a great many years the foundation of the Football team.

Jones was arguably best player at his position (top 2-3 without a doubt). Largent has since been surpassed, but his legacy was the only relevance the Hawks had for a great many years.

for me he's the greatest Hawk ever

1. Largent
2. Jones
3. Easley
4. Green
5. Kennedy (my bad)

theascension

Reaction score
I love Jones and (I'm a younger Seahawk) what I've seen of Largent but I feel like 3 of our current players in the next 5 years will eclipse both those names. When judging GOAT I think you always have to consider era, Jones was the best LT and maybe lineman of the 00 decade and Largent of his era.

Russell/Thomas and possibly Sherman might all become HOFers someday, just imagine how tough choosing a GOAT for the Seahawks will become then?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I think it's pretty damn difficult to eclipse Walter Jones. Literally the only thing running against him is that he plays one of the least sexy positions on the field, and one that is harder to quantify.

Still, if Wilson continues on the trajectory that his play to this point is indicating that he will, he'll probably end up with the crown just because the QB position is miles ahead of every other in terms of importance. The big importance of LT is that he defends the QB's blindside, which sort of says it all about the respective position values.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Great thread.

Walt is arguably the best left tackle ever to play the game.

Steve is the face of the franchise and will be the first one long time fans think of first despite what may happen if Wilson plays at level he has for 10 more years. At time Steve retired only two wide receivers ever played the game at a higher level; Don Hutson and Jerry Rice. Game has changed so much from Hutson to now it is hard to say where modern receivers fit in.

Tez was the most dominant defensive tackle during his time while playing for some bad teams, to the best of my knowledge you could count on one hand the number of players who were consistently triple teamed.

Walt and Steve are legends of the and first ballot HOFers.

Tez should have gotten in sooner, but nature of teams he played for and Seattle as the most isolated under publicized franchise slowed his election bye a couple of years.

Great discussion, hope to see more from fellow 12's.