Best Player in Team History

BASF

Reaction score
I loved Steve Largent as much as any fan, and he was the one even in the Bay Area growing up that most of us emulated with the sideline dragging of the feet catches while playing around in the park, but let's be realistic here. Largent wasn't even the most prolific receiver season in and season out in the conference let alone the league. He led the league in receiving yards only twice and never led in receiving touchdowns. He also only made first team All Pro once. He was absolutely a great receiver and one of the best of all time, but Walter Jones was better than both Johnathan Ogden and Orlando Pace (more Pro Bowls and All Pros), both of whom were talked about as possibly being the best of all time at their position. Everyone was AMAZED when Umenyiora actually beat Jones for two sacks in one game. A feat that had never been done in years against Jones. He also had a holding penalty in that game which hadn't happened in years. When John Madden who coached a few of the best O-Lines in the history of the game called Jones the best linemen he had ever seen, it was a great compliment. And props to whoever mentioned that Munoz was a holding machine, he was.

warden

Reaction score
Walter Jones went to more Pro Bowls as a Seahawk player then any other Seahawk in team history. Cortez is second on that list

Rainger

Reaction score
kearly":14gx876r said:
Russell Wilson, I don't even care that it's too early. Fifteen years from now I would be surprised if this is even a discussion, given that Wilson is on pace for a legendary career.

Among the rest, probably Walt, Largent, Tez, Sherman and Thomas in no particular order.
:13: THIS:

OP
OP
K

kev007

Reaction score
:2: fellow 12's!

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread, some really cool stuff.

Kev

pmedic920

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2apflif3 said:
walter jones

fortunately, there are about a half dozen players on the current roster who will be in contention. but walter is hard to beat for me.

I'm on the side that says it's to close to call between SL and WJ.
I wonder how long it will be before one or more of the currents will be in the argument.
I'd guess there are at least 3 that stand a chance. :{)
Maybe 5or6

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":2of5sgbu said:
I agree Sailor, by then Jon Ryan will have inserted himself in the conversation. That's who you're talking about, right?

Only punter to win the SB, and that seems to be the criterion for some folks.

I don't get the people on either side who are being dismissive in the Walt/Largent debate. There are very good arguments for both guys (Largent for carrying the offense so much during his heyday, Jones for being a strong candidate for best LT of all time... just a couple of examples), and I'm sure if I thought about it for the next 30 days, I'd probably switch my decision on it 30 times. I don't think it's clear-cut at all.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The debate definitely comes down to largest vs jones. If you look at each player and the impact they had when they played, Walt has to be the winner. Largest is one of my all time favorites, but Walt was considered by most outside of the Seahawks organization as one of the best at his position while he played. Largest was considered more as a consistent possession wr by those outside of the organization. What elevated Largent to his status nationally was his consistency. At the end of his career he made people outside of Seahawks fans sit up and take notice. Never in any of his seasons was he considered the top player at his position. Without doing the research I would guess that most years he was probably somewhere between 10-20 in terms of nationally rated players. We as Seahawks fans knew who we had and probably wouldn't have traded him for anyone. I remember distinctly when he reached 10000 yards receiving. I said to a friend of mine at that very moment, "now no one can dispute how good he is". It seems like there was always debate among those nationally about how good he was, until the end of his career when the stats showed him as number 1 in catches, yards, TDs.

Walt, on the other hand was always mentioned as the best at his position while he played. He didn't need the measurables stats like WRs, RBs, or QBs. His dominance was there for everyone to see.

If the debate is about most dominant player at his position, then hands down it has to be big Walt. If the debate includes sentimental fan favorite of a player who dominated in the infancy of the franchise while our love affair with the team blossomed, then Largent has it. I believe that perhaps because of the type of person he is, when he played for the franchise, and with the consistency with which he put up his stats, Steve Largent will always be Mr Seahawk.

If we could choose one player from any past era of Seahawks football to comeback and play at their previous abilities, who wouldn't want Walt protecting the blindside?