Bevell is a Jedi

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":515lluv0 said:
Right. Bevell is finally putting his players in position to make good plays.

Where was this before the bye ? We don't have the best deep speed in the league. We have Lockett, but he was under utilized in the 1st half of the season, and who is that on?

Our OL was crap. 3 games into the season, it wasn't a shock that our OL was crap to anybody. Why didn't we go away from the play action deep passes that take 3 seconds to develop when our OL wasn't giving Russ that amount of time ?

Now we're showcasing routes that let our smaller, quicker players shine. "Gasp!" Now it's working.

Also a lot of it is players. Russ is getting more time to go deeper into his progressions, and that's the OL giving him time. Wilson is also trusting his OL and WRs more, which is commendable because he took such a pounding earlier in the year.

I still blame Bevell for not adjusting more quickly. All those sacks Wilson took, all those hits.....no one here (that I remember seeing) has acknowledged how truly fortunate we've been that WIlson is still upright and hasn't missed a game.

We're looking at the 5th seed. If Wilson had gotten hurt and missed 3 games, where would we be ? Hell, many of us would be rooting for draft position at this point.

I'll give credit to Bevell. He's calling stellar game plans now. So, the first half of the season, he's been Jar Jar Binks. The 2nd half, a Sith Lord. Because he's been screwing with our minds the entire time.

I think this is a simplistic view.

OL was crap...but the coaching staff continued to make adjustments and allowed them to make mistakes- in order to learn.

And even though Russ is "getting more time to go through his progressions" he's actually releasing the ball quicker- not holding it longer. He's executing the plays better by letting the ball go. Better RB play has helped also.

It's definitely not only on Bevell to adjust- I trust what Carroll says when he says it's a unit between the three of them with Cable right in there as well. They're like the Holy Trinity.

It wasn't all on Bevell then nor is it all on Bevell now.

It's so much more complex than just "Bevell is finally putting his players in position to make good plays".

bmorepunk

Reaction score
fat_jedis_are_cool_by_achossa-d5erkxx.jpg

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I just hope if we're at the 1 yard line in Santa Clara with the Super Bowl on the line that he doesn't run an inside slant to Kevin Smith.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's pretty sad that people, seemingly so blinded by what increasingly looks like an irrational dislike of the offensive coordinator, can't just give him credit for a masterful second half of the season. Instead they keep asking "where was this at the start of the season" -- when it seems pretty obvious why the offense wasn't humming early in the year. The offensive line was a shambles with three players learning new positions (two starting in the NFL for the first time). Wilson was under constant duress. The Seahawks were on record-pace for sacks given up. And now that the pass protection is much improved -- what a shocker that the quarterback is standing in the pocket and playing with surgeon-like accuracy.

It doesn't feel like rocket science. And yet people want to apportion blame for every failure on offense to one man -- and when the team starts performing, it's either down to the players or people are finding new ways to give the guy a kicking.

Some of the play design vs Cleveland was incredible. Creative, intelligent, productive. I think people are too afraid to admit they were wrong.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
There is a justified hesitancy in trusting Bevell not to go off the rails based on his previous track record.

His poor play designs and play calling certainly played a role in losing the division title, just as it did in the Super Bowl and in some of last year's early season losses.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":39z9xg22 said:
There is a justified hesitancy in trusting Bevell not to go off the rails based on his previous track record.

His poor play designs and play calling certainly played a role in losing the division title, just as it did in the Super Bowl and in some of last year's early season losses.

His previous track record of delivering a top-10 offense for the last four seasons?

Oh yeah I forgot, the good things are down to the players.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jlopgl1 said:
hawknation2015":1jlopgl1 said:

His previous track record of delivering a top-10 offense for the last four seasons?

Oh yeah I forgot, the good things are down to the players.

Because you believe Bevell is predominantly responsible for all the successes and totally inculpable for all the failures?

With the kind of talent this team has stockpiled, they should have had a consistent offensive attack before the last five games. They didn't, in part, due to Bevell's sometimes baffling play calling and design.

Russell Wilson is playing at such a high level that he is making even Bevell's baffling plays look credible right now. Hopefully that continues, and the team is not once again hindered by the kind of brain farts that have plagued Bevell throughout his career.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1f84fdcy said:
Because you believe Bevell is predominantly responsible for all the successes and totally inculpable for all the failures

You know as well as I do that I have not made that point. This is the kind of classic silliness that comes up when anyone tries to stick up for Darrell Bevell.

With the kind of talent this team has stockpiled, they should have had a consistent offensive attack before the last five games. They didn't, in part, due to Bevell's sometimes baffling play calling and design.

So it wasn't down to a shambolic offensive line (that Bevell has no control over) conceding relentless pressure and conceding a record pace for sacks? With three new starters at LG, C and RT? With two guys learning how to essentially play O-line on the hop?

And it's now merely a rampant coincidence that with the pass protection finally being adequate after the bye, that suddenly the passing game is one of -- if not THE -- most dynamic attacks in the entire NFL?

Russell Wilson is playing at such a high level that he is making even Bevell's baffling plays look credible right now. Hopefully that continues, and the team is not once again hindered by the kind of brain farts that have plagued Bevell throughout his career.

And here we go. The best example of the abject nonsense some members of this forum have spouted this year. It almost makes you embarrassed to be a Seahawks fan.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the O-Line got way better after they got Nowak out of there. That is part of the early failures, along with the players not making the plays that they now are.

That play design on the Baldwin TD was sick.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It can be both.

If a lineman can get credit for getting better halfway through the season (it always makes me laugh, the credits and sins of linemen get lumped into one anonymous group), why can't an offensive coordinator get better halfway through a season? The he was always good, the players were not executing excuse is tired tripe. Teams blitzed the hell out of that line, Teams targeted our proclivity to run slow developing play action, and a handful of times per game our OC got caught calling an offense that did not cater to the shortcomings of his crappy line.

Read the piece on Seattle self scouting at the bye. The staff made some big changes at the bye, and it shows in the playcalling.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1zvnwven said:
MontanaHawk05":1zvnwven said:
Largent80":1zvnwven said:
hawknation2015":1zvnwven said:
The players are making him look damn good.

And previously they made him look terrible, but you are on a witch hunt. good luck with that.

You're welcome to explain where this shit was before the bye.
This. I'm happy with most of what we've seen since the bye, but where the hell was this quick read, quick throw, we actually have outlet receivers passing game going clear back to the Rams game in St. Looie during our SB winning year? This being "Marshawn's team" can't be the only explanation, can it?
It was taking time to develop, with an offensive line that was going through growing pains and a change in philosophy whereas Russ was being groomed to stay in the pocket more. It took time. I knew we were headed in this direction and maintained my faith in Bev and the entire staff, while you and your ilk trashed him with some rather unpleasant insults. Hopefully you and your ilk have come to your senses and can enjoy and be comfortable being a Seahawks fan again.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
When a fan base is in love with the head coach and one side of the ball (offense or defense) is struggling then the blame always falls to the coordinator. He's the easiest scapegoat. Happens all over the NFL with every team's fans.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3lat7bfp said:

If it's hesitancy to have faith in the man, you need to look in the mirror and realize it's your own phobia, because Bevell and staff have taken this clay of an offense and helped mold it into something special come December and playoff time the last 4 years. You laughed at me when I brought up the last two Super Bowl appearances as proof of successfully chanelling our offense in the right direction. Guess who's laughing -- and cheering as I have been all season -- now. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy those moments yourself. But there's still time for you.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
"these are not the bubble screens you're looking for"

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":g4m0x98b said:
I agree with just about everything here, Rob, but in fairness, there was some baffling playcalling going on during those first eight games, even you must admit. I give massive credit to Bevell for turning it around, for having a look at himself and what he was doing and making big changes. Absolutely the offensive line improvement has helped tremendously, and maybe Bevell should get a bit of credit for that as well, since the ball is coming out quicker, and we now seem to have several blitz-beater plays worked into the scheme that are effective.

I think Bevell was rightly raked over the coals in the first half of the season, for not putting the offense in a good enough position to minimize their deficiencies and maximize their strengths, but to deny him his due credit for these last 6 games or so is madness.

I certainly wouldn't argue Bevell was doing a flawless job in the first eight games. I think I would also add that none of us really know enough about situation football to accurately critique certain scenarios. For example -- in week one on the play Seattle lost to STL people complained they ran out of the shotgun with Lynch on 4th and 1. The feeling was -- running in the I-Formation would give them a better opportunity to convert. As it turns out, I think I'm right in saying Seattle runs most successfully in the gun (at least that was the case a week or two ago). They'd had quite a lot of success with the play already (and mixed in some I too). On the play itself one O-liner got blown up (can't remember who) and the play was over. In essence it's easy to point at the playcaller there and blame Bevell (and many did). When faced with all the information though -- defensive scheme, success rate in that formation, a run-game coordinator (that Seattle has) probably saying this is the best call for the most crucial down of the night -- who can say they wouldn't make the same call?

There were other times where I think he did deserve criticism legitimately. The calls at the end of the Carolina game were baffling and gift-wrapped an opportunity to the Panthers to steal the win (they did). I think the Cincy game, there were some issues too -- but Wilson had a very poor fourth quarter and missed plenty of chances to finish it (that Lockett downfield play was wide open but.... let's not go there).

Overall though I think it's clear this is an offense that had some growing pains to endure. The shambolic line, the introduction of Jimmy Graham, the injuries to players like Lynch and the apparent changing of the guard at RB. There probably isn't anyone specifically to blame for that -- if anyone at all. It might just be one of those things Seattle had to live with. It amazes me though that even to this day -- with the offense absolutely humming and looking the definition of elite -- that people won't just man up and give the guy a break.

Seymour

Reaction score
Only Bevell would have his greatest success when his biggest stars are out. Why you ask?? Obviously because there is forced change rather than learning and adapting in less than his typical 8 games learning curve.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
^ Can't blame Bevell for the starting center the first few games. a FAILED experiment by Pete and Cable. Point your finger in the correct direction. We were giving up sacks at a record pace, and now with Lewis at center, practically NONE.