Bevell is a Jedi

MrThortan

Reaction score
Only the dark side of the force can explain the drastic turn around of Bevell's play calling. The light side of the force takes time to master, and Bevell, obviously in fear of his job, resorted to extreme measures to get his career back on track. It is working now, but I foresee a showdown in the future between Jedi Russell and Sith Bevell.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":aq4sejqd said:
^ Can't blame Bevell for the starting center the first few games. a FAILED experiment by Pete and Cable. Point your finger in the correct direction. We were giving up sacks at a record pace, and now with Lewis at center, practically NONE.

Mostly because Bevell is finally calling the faster developing routes and combo routes most of us have been begging for better than a year now. Yet we should eat crow for getting what we want?
Russell had 11 QB hits on him even after these changes against the lowly Browns so the problems are still there. Ditching Nowak no doubt helped some, but I refuse to give FULL credit to Bevell for doing the obvious. Not now, not ever.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seymour":1moloo9w said:
Largent80":1moloo9w said:
^ Can't blame Bevell for the starting center the first few games. a FAILED experiment by Pete and Cable. Point your finger in the correct direction. We were giving up sacks at a record pace, and now with Lewis at center, practically NONE.

Mostly because Bevell is finally calling the faster developing routes and combo routes most of us have been begging for better than a year now. Yet we should eat crow for getting what we want?

Yep. Claiming that Bevell played no role whatsoever in the horrendous play calling in the red zone we witnessed through the first eight games of the season is pure ignorance. He had no clue how to utilize Graham, for example. It was one of the reasons we lost the division.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":32xe5dvf said:
Seymour":32xe5dvf said:
Largent80":32xe5dvf said:

Yep. Claiming that Bevell played no role whatsoever in the horrendous play calling in the red zone we witnessed through the first eight games of the season is pure ignorance. He had no clue how to utilize Graham, for example. It was one of the reasons we lost the division.

I'm just happy that he keyed in on something that works before it was absolutely too late. Only needed to burn through all the goodwill he possibly had before doing so.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Success or failure in football -- it's never any one thing. Never understood the absolute need of some to pin it all on the OC. We're all guessing -- no one here knows how the sausage is made. The one thing that was clear from the early-season tape was that both the OL and Russ missed on some opportunities that were available. OL had new pieces; Russ was getting used to new receivers and making line protections. Understandable that it took a while to adjust.

Things have been clicking for a while now. Credit the players for executing, and the staff for putting them in a position to succeed. I'm sure everyone could have done more to help the offense earlier in the year -- Tom Cable and John Schneider included. It's not one thing. I understand the tension early on, but if you're still taking umbrage with the play-calling during this historic stretch or reminiscing about calls from two months ago, then it sure smells like you have an agenda apart from objective analysis.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":cvtswcrh said:
I understand the tension early on, but if you're still taking umbrage with the play-calling during this historic stretch or reminiscing about calls from two months ago, then it sure smells like you have an agenda apart from objective analysis.

I love the people who paint differing opinions as "an agenda apart from objective analysis".

John Morgan? Is that you?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3klasgb0 said:
DavidSeven":3klasgb0 said:
I understand the tension early on, but if you're still taking umbrage with the play-calling during this historic stretch or reminiscing about calls from two months ago, then it sure smells like you have an agenda apart from objective analysis.

I love the people who paint differing opinions as "an agenda apart from objective analysis".

Yeah, people like Siouxhawk do not have an agenda, even though 90% of his posts are about one thing . . . because he happens to agree with him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Is the "only long developing routes" criticism meant to be taken seriously or just a way of venting? I think many of you deservedly recall our early season struggles to execute on intermediate and long passes but then forget that we also attempted quite a few quick hitters which were more successful so you don't remember being upset about them.

For example, the first drive of our season featured successful quick passes to Graham, Fredex, Lockett and Baldwin. It was eventually killed by a sack the only time they tried to get the ball 20 yards down the field to Graham, followed by a penalty, followed by two failed runs and a punt. If 20 yard passes cannot be in the playbook then we really just should have saved everybody the trouble and stayed home.

As another example consider the Cowboys game. By my recollection we had one deep attempt in the third quarter and two? deep attempts in the fourth. Everything else in the passing game was short and out quickly. Wilson was not sacked once but our offense still struggled because most of the drives were killed by short incompletions.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":318vddcx said:
MontanaHawk05":318vddcx said:
DavidSeven":318vddcx said:

Yeah, people like Siouxhawk do not have an agenda, even though 90% of his posts are about one thing . . . because he happens to agree with him.
So you bring me up? OK, I'll give you my agenda then and that's to defend the offensive coordinator of my favorite team and to prove that people like you, who attack that OC and therefore the potential success of my favorite team, are wrong and now should eat crow and have egg all over your faces. Considering the historic pace our offense is on now, your early snipes should be taken as enemy of the team and this fanbase as you called for a disruption of this eventual success. If the team would've followed your requests, this rapid march toward the playoffs would've been denied to all of us.
And contributors like English and DavidSeven have never claimed to have a full-throttle agenda in their support of Bevell. They give rational examples of how he helps with the offense, but they don't heap all the praise on him because that's not realistic. It's the team making strides as a whole. Same thing as when we were coming up just short in games in the first half of the year. Just a couple of situational things that impeded us, mainly stemming from an offensive line that was still growing into a unit. But their message was to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Our coaching brain trust warranted our faith. You know what, they were right on the money!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2dyl0m51 said:
hawknation2015":2dyl0m51 said:
MontanaHawk05":2dyl0m51 said:
DavidSeven":2dyl0m51 said:

So you bring me up? OK, I'll give you my agenda then and that's to defend the offensive coordinator of my favorite team and to prove that people like you, who attack that OC and therefore the potential success of my favorite team, are wrong and now should eat crow and have egg all over your faces. Considering the historic pace our offense is on now, your early snipes should be taken as enemy of the team and this fanbase as you called for a disruption of this eventual success. If the team would've followed your requests, this rapid march toward the playoffs would've been denied to all of us.
And contributors like English and DavidSeven have never claimed to have a full-throttle agenda in their support of Bevell. They give rational examples of how he helps with the offense, but they don't heap all the praise on him because that's not realistic. It's the team making strides as a whole. Same thing as when we were coming up just short in games in the first half of the year. Just a couple of situational things that impeded us, mainly stemming from an offensive line that was still growing into a unit. But their message was to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Our coaching brain trust warranted our faith. You know what, they were right on the money!

Blah, blah, blah.

I guess it's up to 91% now.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I only had so much time in a day to rebut the incessant snarks of you and the handful of those who shared your ill-advised beliefs. Hopefully you can get on board with the entire team now and channel that goodwill into a strong Super Bowl run. We need you!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":wh3f6yf6 said:
I only had so much time in a day to rebut the incessant snarks of you and the handful of those who shared your ill-advised beliefs. Hopefully you can get on board with the entire team now and channel that goodwill into a strong Super Bowl run. We need you!

91.5%

Hawks46

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3vwulnzo said:
Hawks46":3vwulnzo said:
Right. Bevell is finally putting his players in position to make good plays.

Where was this before the bye ? We don't have the best deep speed in the league. We have Lockett, but he was under utilized in the 1st half of the season, and who is that on?

Our OL was crap. 3 games into the season, it wasn't a shock that our OL was crap to anybody. Why didn't we go away from the play action deep passes that take 3 seconds to develop when our OL wasn't giving Russ that amount of time ?

Now we're showcasing routes that let our smaller, quicker players shine. "Gasp!" Now it's working.

Also a lot of it is players. Russ is getting more time to go deeper into his progressions, and that's the OL giving him time. Wilson is also trusting his OL and WRs more, which is commendable because he took such a pounding earlier in the year.

I still blame Bevell for not adjusting more quickly. All those sacks Wilson took, all those hits.....no one here (that I remember seeing) has acknowledged how truly fortunate we've been that WIlson is still upright and hasn't missed a game.

We're looking at the 5th seed. If Wilson had gotten hurt and missed 3 games, where would we be ? Hell, many of us would be rooting for draft position at this point.

I'll give credit to Bevell. He's calling stellar game plans now. So, the first half of the season, he's been Jar Jar Binks. The 2nd half, a Sith Lord. Because he's been screwing with our minds the entire time.

I think this is a simplistic view.

OL was crap...but the coaching staff continued to make adjustments and allowed them to make mistakes- in order to learn.

And even though Russ is "getting more time to go through his progressions" he's actually releasing the ball quicker- not holding it longer. He's executing the plays better by letting the ball go. Better RB play has helped also.

It's definitely not only on Bevell to adjust- I trust what Carroll says when he says it's a unit between the three of them with Cable right in there as well. They're like the Holy Trinity.

It wasn't all on Bevell then nor is it all on Bevell now.

It's so much more complex than just "Bevell is finally putting his players in position to make good plays".

I think you missed my point, then kind of made it yourself.

I've been on record at the beginning of the year saying this was going to parallel the 2012 season; the OL needed time to season and adjust, and we'd get better offensively at the end of the season. Problem is, we were literally one of the worst teams in the league offensively but with good personnel. It's on the offensive staff to fix that, and not at the bye in the middle of the year. I don't blame Bevell (well, I have ,but for mostly situational play calling), Cable or Pete for having a bad OL. I get what they were trying to do and it didn't work.

So, your OL is crap. Did they just suddenly get better at pass pro ? No, they got better at run blocking for sure. We also had Rawls come on, who hit the hole faster and masked some issues. Run blocking can help your pass protection. BUT, if WE know the OL is crap, you bet the offensive coaches know they're struggling. So why not go to a quicker passing game earlier ? Hell, we had Graham, who is a perfect quick strike target, and we did almost nothing but send him 20 yards down field.

Knowing your OL is crap, our route trees and play calling didn't change a bit from last year. We weren't getting good pass protection at all, yet we still called vertical routes with play action; routes that take a long time to develop. We didn't utilize Tyler Lockett, who is also a quick strike target and gets the quickest separation outside of Baldwin on the team. These are things the coaches could've done NOW, and it could've saved us a game, maybe two.

I don't know who to put it on. It's about winning in this league, not sand bagging until the second half of the season. I'm not saying the Seahawks did that, but look at some of the posts here, saying our coaches treat the first half of the season like an extended preseason. I understand the analogy, but the inference is that we don't care about winning until the 2nd half of the season.

Look at the Patriots. I can't stand them, they cheat, it's on record, and I think Brady is a pompous ass. That said, those guys make lighting quick adjustments, and make them from game to game. I've seen them do everything from play a Vikings team (this is a few years ago) with the best DL in the league and the #1 rush defense by far, and the Pats spread them out 5 wide and passed the hell out of them, right off the bat. I've seen them pass all over teams, then play a Colts team that is weak against the run, and load up with Blount and ring up 250 yards rushing on them.

Comparatively, I'd like to see quicker adjustments. I don't understand why these game plans couldn't be installed 8 games ago. That's all I'm saying. Not everything is Bevell's or Cable's fault, but I think we could've made the same adjustments earlier. And saved Wilson some punishment. Because we played Russian roulette there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2acjw1kl said:
Comparatively, I'd like to see quicker adjustments. I don't understand why these game plans couldn't be installed 8 games ago. That's all I'm saying. Not everything is Bevell's or Cable's fault, but I think we could've made the same adjustments earlier. And saved Wilson some punishment. Because we played Russian roulette there.

The plans couldn't be installed earlier because our schemes were predicated on Lynch, Wilson, Graham etc.

Sounds crazy, but I truly believe once Pete, Cable and Bevell didn't have to spend all their time trying to figure out how to run the offense with getting Marshawn his 25 carries and Graham his 10 targets per game the handcuffs came off and our offense became this beautifully unpredictable machine running through Russell.

Latest posts