Bevell made that call-CONFIRMED

fan4life

Reaction score
Bevell is right - Lockette should have been stronger to the ball. But goal-line slants are risky plays (the QB and WR don't really think, the QB just gets the ball and throws to a spot) even with veteran players/teams. Not a smart call when the WR is a rookie and you have a couple of downs and enough time to let the best RB/read-option QB try and punch it in!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Meeker":kfav5jhu said:
SeatownJay":kfav5jhu said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/562097218895630336[/tweet]

Not that I think he should have said that...but I agree with him on Lockette.

Why are you going to Ricardo edited for language Lockette in the first place in that situation when you have Lynch?

Exittium

Reaction score
Putting the blame saying a player should have..when your the play caller and has the best RB in the business, guaranteed TD and win. Piss off bevell, take the blame and just quit. We don't want you, we'd rather keep lynch

trharder

Reaction score
I've dared to watch the replay now. Horrible play call. I love Russell like he is my own kid, but he should have pulled it down regardless of the stupid call. Watching the replay makes it so much worse because it so obviously wasn't a good idea to throw into that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Russell will learn a great deal from this and WILL in the future audibilize out of a bad play call by the next offensive coordinator.
If Bevell doesn't "resign" after this, I will be utterly flabbergasted.

davidonmi

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3e1hqzey said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

He's not wrong

ivotuk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":3grag6ot said:
brimsalabim":3grag6ot said:
Wilson still should have changed it or chucked it into the cheap seats. He won't become elite until he is willing to stand up to an asinine play call.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. To be honest, Peyton Manning behaved the same way with John Fox and Adam Gase. He regularly permitted those conservative clowns to sabotage a perfectly good game with pussy-footed or inexplicable play calling.

All Wilson had to do was call a timeout and huddle up with the principals -- "Hey guys -- why are we calling a dangerous pass over the middle when I can just hand off to Marshawn 3 or 4 times?"

Elite QB's need to to overrule clueless Offensive Coordinators like Bevell.

User our last time out?

randomation

Reaction score
davidonmi":3rsb8vi2 said:
SeatownJay":3rsb8vi2 said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

He's not wrong

Considering he choose to throw to Ricardo Lockette rather then giving the ball to Beast yeah he is.

S

SeaHawker

Looked like pass interference to me... at least thats what the call would have been if Seattle were on defense

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
randomation":3rm68kn6 said:
davidonmi":3rm68kn6 said:
SeatownJay":3rm68kn6 said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

He's not wrong

Considering he choose to throw to Ricardo Lockette rather then giving the ball to Beast yeah he is.
This plus as a coach you do NOT throw your player under the bus to the media in that situation............unless you're Jim Mora.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Blaming a player when the ultimate responsibility is on you should result in him being fired. He needs to own this it was on him.

It was a totally stupid play call.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
It's strangely poetic that Pete fell on his sword for Bevell, but Bevell took the opportunity to let Lockette share in the blame. Lockette never should have been put in the position to not get to the ball stronger.

pehawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the call. Seattles identity isn't about minimizing turnovers and smashmouth. It's about slants...So in critical times they throw slants.

kearly

Reaction score
I appreciate Bevell's guts and honesty. He is kinda right about Lockette, but Lockette probably shouldn't be the guy you turn to in that situation in the first place.

Still a historically bad play call. He would probably help himself if he issued an apology for it.

aawolf

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2oakq3ql said:
brimsalabim":2oakq3ql said:
Wilson still should have changed it or chucked it into the cheap seats. He won't become elite until he is willing to stand up to an asinine play call.

This.

Nope. Butler made a great play on the ball. He completely sold out to attack the route. Lockette was open the instant the ball left Wilson's hands, and Butler broke on the route. Props to him. If we are looking for the person most to blame, it's Bevel for making the call, and Butler for making a championship play, yep, as cliche as it is, the Butler did it,

Daytomann

Reaction score
brimsalabim":243u5vbe said:

I agree 110% he should've chucked it or called a timeout to talk about it. No one would have been the wiser.

A true, elite QB would have done everything he could to win the game..... That includes NOT running a completely boneheaded play. Sorry but RW takes a lot of this blame. Don't even try to argue against it.

PC should have been listening in and put the brakes on the play as well. So put him on the dumbass list as well.

mikeak

Reaction score
Meeker":2kwt7giz said:
SeatownJay":2kwt7giz said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

Not that I think he should have said that...but I agree with him on Lockette.

Yes let's blame it on the guy we cut/put on PS that then didn't make the 49ers team. His fault of course

Daytomann

Reaction score
aawolf":2ztqpzcq said:
hgwellz12":2ztqpzcq said:
brimsalabim":2ztqpzcq said:

This.

Nope. Butler made a great play on the ball. He completely sold out to attack the route. Lockette was open the instant the ball left Wilson's hands, and Butler broke on the route. Props to him. If we are looking for the person most to blame, it's Bevel for making the call, and Butler for making a championship play, yep, as cliche as it is, the Butler did it,

Dude don't try to church it up. There was ZERO reason to run that play at that time NONE. We don't talk about lockette being open and butler making a play cause the ball should've been in lynch's hands. That's all there is to it. Period, end of discussion.