Bevell made that call-CONFIRMED

RedAlice

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":9ierzy7w said:
All I believe is that if Marshawn scores a TD there he's the MVP and there's many people in positions of power who did not want to see that happen. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a particular play call was made at a critical moment to try to keep that from happening.

I wanted Hawks to win. Thinking a pass was called instead of a run is "fixed" is just childish.

The random iluminati NFL fixers did not make that last call.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":xrbc9nm8 said:
One more hand off to Lynch, we're SB champions and he's the MVP. Goodell did not want that to happen. There's no other reason Bevell makes that call. I don't care if you believe that or not, you'll never convince me otherwise.

That's absurd... but it's understandable why you would feel that way after witnessing such a historically horrific play call...

But there was no fix that's just Bevell straight up...

The refs let them play...

I guess it was also Goodell's fault that we went 3/10 on 3rd down conversions on a day we had 396 yards on offense???

3/10 on 3rd down conversions with 396 yards on offense!

That sounds like an impossible stat but with Bevell it's totally understandable. He is so inconsistent and does not call high percentage plays.

When's the last time we've had 4 solid quarters on offense? It's always the same with Bevell we have a ton of 3 and outs for 80% of the game and then we get a few drives where Bevell actually calls a decent series (or more likely Wilson and Lynch carry us on their backs) and all the sudden we look unstoppable going 80 yards in 30 seconds or less than 2 minutes...

The Patriots went 8/14 on 3rd down conversions but had only 377 yards!

The Patriots had 272% the amount of 3rd down conversions than we did but had less total yards... but they HAD MORE POINTS!

The Seahawks this season had more offensive yards than the Patriots but averaged significantly less points per game...

Anyone starting to see a pattern here? Bevell is an absolutely terrible offensive coordinator!

Recently I've been re-watching games from 2012 and Offensively we haven't improved AT ALL other than Wilson and Lynch who have learned how to carry us even more despite how awful Bevell has been this WHOLE TIME. We still get all the stupid penalties like 2012 and our receiving core is worst + Bevell's play calls are still terrible... not to mention we have no return game whatsoever which is quite odd and kinda disgusting considering we lost Leon Washington, Golden Tate, and Harvin...

Don't even get me started with Chris Matthews looking like he could of been our #1 receiver and Bevell probably was responsible for him never getting a chance all season...

So you think Goodell was the reason why Bevell called a 30+ yard throw down field on 3rd and 2 when we had a 10 point lead with about 16 minutes left to go? A throw that went to Kearse who other than Willson has the worst hands on our team... A game where Kearse caught 3/6 targets (led the team in targets) which is inexcusably stupid since Kearse has always been one of the worst catch rate guys we have (barely over 50% for career).

All we needed to do was win the time of possession (keep injured defense fresh) with high percentage pass plays and a healthy dose of Beast Mode. Instead we try to just throw all these incredibly low percentage pass plays and miraculously we still have a chance to win because our guys are that good even though Bevell is that bad... yet Bevell still finds a way to lose the game for us.

This is nothing new... I've been saying this since 2012 Bevell is awful he is the cause for the majority of our losses and we'd probably have a 3-Pete right now if we had a good OC (he also blew the game against Atlanta... 0 points in first half).

So it's understandable why you would think it's some kinda conspiracy but in reality Bevell really is that bad... he always has been and he always will be. It's just hard to see it for the more optimistic "sugar coated" fans because we have Wilson and Lynch who can carry our team even with Bevell's horrible play calling. Reality is if we had an average QB and RB we would have by far one of the worst offenses in the league Bevell is that bad.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":22g5st1x said:
One more hand off to Lynch, we're SB champions and he's the MVP. Goodell did not want that to happen. There's no other reason Bevell makes that call. I don't care if you believe that or not, you'll never convince me otherwise.

Are you kidding me with this? You really think the reason Bevell didn't call a run is because of Goodell? Really? My god man.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
RedAlice":8vkc3h24 said:
Zebulon Dak":8vkc3h24 said:
All I believe is that if Marshawn scores a TD there he's the MVP and there's many people in positions of power who did not want to see that happen. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a particular play call was made at a critical moment to try to keep that from happening.

I wanted Hawks to win. Thinking a pass was called instead of a run is "fixed" is just childish.

The random iluminati NFL fixers did not make that last call.

At this point, I think people are just still in awe that the ball wasn't ran in. Literally no football explanation for it. So I mean...Illuminati goona Illuminati.

200x400px-LL-2b2d3bb6_image.jpeg

AirStrike

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1g942rq7 said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/562097218895630336[/tweet]

Clueless coach.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":263uz70g said:
Zebulon Dak":263uz70g said:
Bevell is Pete's guy. He called the play but Pete and Russell and probably Cable had the power to change it and they didn't. No one man is responsible for this loss. We, as a team, didn't finish the game. Worst play call of all time? Absolutely. So why didn't the head coach or the assistant head coach or the starting quarterback do something about it? Bevell may have made a bone head call but why didn't anybody else with power do anything about it?
Because they would have to burn their last timeout to do so.
I contend that a run from that formation would have been a mistake. It would have been like the 4th and 1 run at KC where Bevell called a run with 6 blockers on 8 run stoppers. Which was a worse decision than the ill fated fade to Baldwin.

The slant was a bad idea(seriously, when was the last time we threw a slant to Lockette, let alone a slant that critical?), but 3 wide receivers from inside the 1 was an even worse decision. It allowed the Pats to formationally dictate a pass.

They played scared. They were afraid to give Brady 30 seconds. All credit to Belichick, who inside a minute had the balls to not take timeouts and ride with his D. IF Seattle had scored and won he would be getting ripped for that today, but at least it wasn't fear based decision making.

we saw it dIfferent. Wilson had the numbers running to the left side and I still don't mind my chances with lynch. it was a terrible call and shockingly without a great play by Butler it still would of worked.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23gdh2b0 said:
Zebulon Dak":23gdh2b0 said:
Bevell is Pete's guy. He called the play but Pete and Russell and probably Cable had the power to change it and they didn't. No one man is responsible for this loss. We, as a team, didn't finish the game. Worst play call of all time? Absolutely. So why didn't the head coach or the assistant head coach or the starting quarterback do something about it? Bevell may have made a bone head call but why didn't anybody else with power do anything about it?
Because they would have to burn their last timeout to do so.
I contend that a run from that formation would have been a mistake. It would have been like the 4th and 1 run at KC where Bevell called a run with 6 blockers on 8 run stoppers. Which was a worse decision than the ill fated fade to Baldwin.

The slant was a bad idea(seriously, when was the last time we threw a slant to Lockette, let alone a slant that critical?), but 3 wide receivers from inside the 1 was an even worse decision. It allowed the Pats to formationally dictate a pass.

They played scared. They were afraid to give Brady 30 seconds. All credit to Belichick, who inside a minute had the balls to not take timeouts and ride with his D. IF Seattle had scored and won he would be getting ripped for that today, but at least it wasn't fear based decision making.
GREAT post Scott. Love that you pointed out some of Bevell's other failures as well as the formation failure. Whether it was done because Bevell got 'too cute' or whether it was done as an attempt at a "screw you" to Marshawn, it was a play call no other o-coordinator AT ANY LEVEL OF FOOTBALL (including clear down to Pop Warner) would've made yet Darrell Bevell made it. If he's not gone by next year, this team is in trouble, marker my words.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm sitting here listening to NBC Sports this morning. Two guys that I generally dislike that I find myself completely agreeing with ...

Erik Kuselias: "Seattle more lost the Super Bowl than the Patriots won it. Worst loss in Super Bowl History"

Scott Zolak on the Patriots Radio Network: "That's got to be one of the dumbest calls in Super Bowl History."

I absolutely cannot disagree. Despite what Carroll is saying, that final play has Bevell's fingerprints written all over it. It's painfully obvious that Carroll is merely trying to deflect blame by putting that call on himself. Once again Bevell tried to get too cute and it cost the team in a big way. Marshawn flipped off Bevell for not getting the ball on 3rd and 1 on the Goal Line against the Cardinals back in 2013 (and that was a win) -- how's that relationship with Bevell now? Given all of that coupled with the avalanche of negative reactions from both the players and the 12s at large, I honestly can't see how Bevell can come back next year. Time to move in a new direction.

TXHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1y382ibj said:
Bevell blaming Lockette.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/562097218895630336[/tweet]

Bevell, you know who would have been more physical than Lockette on the goal line? Marshawn Lynch.

Fire him. Now.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I certainly understand the logic to pass there (then you can run on 3rd, timeout, run again), but like many have said, throwing it into traffic is not where I would have liked to see it go. Get both Kearse and Matthews on both sides of the field and throw a fade to either one of them depending on the matchup, even one of Bevell's lovely WR screens would have made more sense, or how about a shovel pass to Lynch? Perhaps a heavy set and do a PA Pass, feels like there's someone open in those situations more often than not. But also expecting Kearse to execute a part of a play that involves blocking or 'picking' is asking for bad things to happen IMO. I like his story, but he is a 3rd or 4th string NFL WR at best.

I did like what Scottemojo said about playing scared, that was an angle I hadn't taken in yet. I don't know if it was Pete so much because we've seen him routinely do the same thing that Belichick did in riding his defense down to the wire, which makes it seem like the ghosts of ATL and GB spooked Bevell into trying to be too much of a 'guru' as one tweet eloquently put.

I'm getting tired of seeing the same offensive problems week after week, year after year. All too often the Seattle offense consists of WRs having to make contested down the field catches all day or WR screens that usually dont go anywhere. I don't know if its Bevell's scheme, concepts, route trees or whatever else, cause I have my doubts that it is the players since we've gone through several since he's been here.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful this turns our OC position into Seattle's version of "Fail Mary" where something with obvious flaws had the national spotlight shined on it bright enough to spark a change.

penihawk

Reaction score
I agree with Bryce on this one. Wrong play,wrong player. For me, I would of wanted Bevell gone even if Lynch scores and we win the game.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":12qggsji said:

Zeb, Pete lets his coaches coach. Kind of goes with his program.

And, why are any of us shocked? THAT PLAY IS THE EPITOME OF BEVELL! He'd be the best OC in history if he had 4 Calvin Johnsons to utilize and Marshawn Lynch. He's constantly in guru mode, trying to outsmart the DC. Go watch week one, for christs sake. That's who Bevell is. This is who he is. This is why he drives a lot of us batty.

Kap4president

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!
ARROGANCE AND LACK OF CLASS COMES BACK TO BITE DICK SHERMAN AND CO IN THE ARSE!!!

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
Kap4president":79m03mq4 said:
ARROGANCE AND LACK OF CLASS COMES BACK TO BITE DICK SHERMAN AND CO IN THE ARSE!!!

But what have you done for me lately?

Gotta keep dusting those trophies in Santa Clara to keep them nice and shiny before they begin to rust.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Kap4president":16hj1ob7 said:

....Brady was 1/1 for 6 yards against Sherm. Feel free to rip on Bevell or Tharold Simon though.

Kap4president

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":1rvlkpdm said:
Kap4president":1rvlkpdm said:

But what have you done for me lately?

Gotta keep dusting those trophies in Santa Clara to keep them nice and shiny before they begin to rust.

ALL I KNOW IS YOU ARE NOW 1-2 IN THE BOWL AND WE ARE 5-1. I don't care how old they are we still have 5 wins
and will get 6 before u get 2. I Hate Seattle but i must admit you guys have a great team, and not giving the ball to the baddest dude on your team who happens to be from the bay, was asinine. But i LOVED IT.
Getting to the top is very hard, STAYING THERE, even harder. Especially in the NFC West.
Gonna be a lonnnnng offseason chewin on woulda, coulda, shoulda sandwiches!
And btw, very classy to start a brawl once u knew ur asses were toast!
Dick Sherman, its called KARMA! next time,celebrate with your teammates instead of worrying about Revis getting beat on a play in which the UMPIRE clearly was used as a pick! HAHAHAHAHA.
GOODNITE NOW!

mrblitz

Reaction score
with the atlanta loss 2 years ago, and now this; it does seem like there were some chips left on the table. we got one championship, but might have had 2 or 3. holmgren as a head coach at green bay had a similar playoff record. a championship? yes. but not 2 or 3 championships.

not only was the playcall bad, but russell had to have known that bb was going to take out kearse.

also, this matthews fellow should have seen the field _much sooner_. in a pass play at the goal line, he was the obvious guy for a corner fade. where were they stashing him all year, and why not the corner fade to him yesterday?

the actual pass play they actually ran was an organization-wide mistake. carroll, bevell, and wilson are all each a bit responsible.

should have been a run to marshawn anyway.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Are people really claiming that they kept it away from Lynch because they didn't want him to win the MVP? The board is in full meltdown mode. That is beyond stupid.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":xjzigisd said:
Are people really claiming that they kept it away from Lynch because they didn't want him to win the MVP? The board is in full meltdown mode. That is beyond stupid.

It gets worse. There is at least one person who thinks it's because there was some order from Goodell to pass the ball, so Lynch didn't win MVP.