Bevell Revisited

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Lynch got the 3 touches on 1st and Goal... My guess is that Bevell has more trust in this OL now that all the starters are back and MRob at FB.

That being said... passing within the 5-yard line is still stupid when you've got Lynch. The play was a passing play, and Wilson's targets were locked up. Having Lynch as a release is a smart move since we rarely seem to keep in him passing formations (even though he is a great pass-blocker).

The lack of touches for Lynch in the RedZone have been a non-issue the past two games which is a relief.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Perhaps it was just me. But it didn't seem like MRob was in for a lot of Lynch's runs today.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1stcpkr3 said:
I know damn well the Bevell hating crowd was ready to crucify him (for the bazillionth time) for calling a pass play with goal to go up until the moment RW flicked a pass to Marshawn for a TD.

Not that a single one of them would ever admit it.
Still suffering from "little coach syndrome" and Bevellfanboyitis I see.......
SMH, and laughing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He still screwed up royally in the St Louis game but that's as much on Pete as it is on Bevell because Pete makes the final calls as to how our offense plays. A couple game prior that PC said "I was pushing Bev to have Russell throw it more."

That St Louis game almost put our QB out of commission but they wised up and went back to their bread & butter of handing it off to Lynch. Thank God, because Wilson would be tenderized beef by now if they hadn't.

Tical21

Reaction score
I just don't know what I think of him. I've always had a feeling that he had potential, with no basis for having that opinion. To form a strong opinion, I would need hours and hours to watch tape, that I have to admit to myself I'm never going to get around to watching, so all I can do is try to make educated guesses.

I can't remember seeing an offense as random as ours is. At least in the passing game, it seems like you almost never see the same play twice. All sorts of people make unique plays all over the field. I'm sure Russell has a lot to do with it, being as improvisational as he can be. You see us complete weird corner routes and really deep crossing routes, and delayed TE out routes. Deep routes to Baldwin without knowing how he got to the sideline to begin with. We've even seen a back shoulder fade this year to Kearse. I don't know if it is Bevell being inventive, or just a product of us not being able to get consistent with the simple stuff.

We also have very eclectic personnel. Has the line and lack of receivers that get initial separation prevented us from doing things you would think a young QB with a great running game would do, like slants and pop-passes to the TE? Or does Bevell not know how to make an offense execute these properly? Does Wilson not trust the WR's to win on slant routes? Can he even see the TE? The modern passing game now seems to be seam routes and sit-downs against zone, and we barely use either one. The unique way in which we put up very good numbers just makes everything really cloudy to judge.

I do think we'll learn a lot about Bevell by how he uses Percy. He's finally got that weapon. No excuses now. Percy SHOULD make life a ton easier on Wilson. Man press blitz defense SHOULD result in an almost automatic slant or quick out completion. If it doesn't, something isn't right with either Bevell or Wilson. Percy will be in the backfield some. Are we going to be able to use formations and personnel properly to get mismatches?

I know this is the worst possible answer, but I just don't know if the guy is any good or not. However, if pressed to bet my house on whether the next guy is any better, I would have to put my money on Bevell.

slipwax

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1l2dy5ml said:
Perhaps it was just me. But it didn't seem like MRob was in for a lot of Lynch's runs today.
Pfffffftttttt....whaaaaaaaaaat? Blasphemy! Mrob 4 life! Seriously, I love MRob.he cooo

C-Dub

Reaction score
slipwax":1xnnv2v5 said:
KitsapGuy":1xnnv2v5 said:
Pfffffftttttt....whaaaaaaaaaat? Blasphemy! Mrob 4 life! Seriously, I love MRob.he cooo
Mike Rob had some key blocks. Specifically, his TD run when Mike popped the LB or DT.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Guess I need to start paying more attention then. :oops: I don't pay enough attention to the blocking except on big runs. :17:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":nwcgqx43 said:
WOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOO!!!

I deserve a damn medal for drawing out an award-winning Kearly post!
a) He disagrees with you, so stop trying to take credit for anything.
b) Are you trying to pretend you didn't wake up this morning just WAITING to make a post like this? You're guilty of what you accuse the Bevell haters of, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Get real.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Tical21":28h3dpjk said:
I just don't know what I think of him. I've always had a feeling that he had potential, with no basis for having that opinion. To form a strong opinion, I would need hours and hours to watch tape, that I have to admit to myself I'm never going to get around to watching, so all I can do is try to make educated guesses.

I can't remember seeing an offense as random as ours is. At least in the passing game, it seems like you almost never see the same play twice. All sorts of people make unique plays all over the field. I'm sure Russell has a lot to do with it, being as improvisational as he can be. You see us complete weird corner routes and really deep crossing routes, and delayed TE out routes. Deep routes to Baldwin without knowing how he got to the sideline to begin with. We've even seen a back shoulder fade this year to Kearse. I don't know if it is Bevell being inventive, or just a product of us not being able to get consistent with the simple stuff.

We also have very eclectic personnel. Has the line and lack of receivers that get initial separation prevented us from doing things you would think a young QB with a great running game would do, like slants and pop-passes to the TE? Or does Bevell not know how to make an offense execute these properly? Does Wilson not trust the WR's to win on slant routes? Can he even see the TE? The modern passing game now seems to be seam routes and sit-downs against zone, and we barely use either one. The unique way in which we put up very good numbers just makes everything really cloudy to judge.

I do think we'll learn a lot about Bevell by how he uses Percy. He's finally got that weapon. No excuses now. Percy SHOULD make life a ton easier on Wilson. Man press blitz defense SHOULD result in an almost automatic slant or quick out completion. If it doesn't, something isn't right with either Bevell or Wilson. Percy will be in the backfield some. Are we going to be able to use formations and personnel properly to get mismatches?

I know this is the worst possible answer, but I just don't know if the guy is any good or not. However, if pressed to bet my house on whether the next guy is any better, I would have to put my money on Bevell.

^ Post of the 2013 season ^. Truer words were never spoken. Watching the O is sometimes like watching cirque du soleil...makes you grab your ass and scream "whaaa man, that was great, how did that happen"?? But it happens time after time.

Baldwin, Tate and Kearse love their QB. They just catch balls, refusing to let RW down. Harvin only makes them better. Tate's been the man as of late but I hope he understands / appreciates / trusts what Harvin brings to the table.

I think we all have mixed emotions re Bevell. I have no issue with him "throwing in goal to goal" situations...I encourage it. But 1st and goal from the 3? No...that's Lynch time and I'll bet the team thinks so too.

Bevell gets more heat than Quinn because our O is behind our D. But Quinn gets knocked around by us, too. It's a what have you done for me lately occupation, and we fans, are going to constantly rant or rave as the situation dictates. Is it different with other teams and fan bases?

justafan

Reaction score
I think blaming Bevel for not developing Wilson to execute a short passing game is a little off base.Wilsons development has been quicker than I have ever seen from a QB.Its been amazing.But he still hasnt peaked.No QB will master the WCO in less than 2 years.In time he will get better at beating the blitz and making the quick pass from the pocket.
The short passing game is dependant on keeping a clean interior pocket.I think his short passing will improve once we get better guard play.I wouldnt want to take a 3 step drop behind Sweezy.
Wilson has been hesitant to pull the trigger on short passes over the middle for reasons only he knows and I really dont have a big problem with it.
I have no problem with Bevel attacking Ds deep,if they want to play 8 and 9 in the box try to make them pay.Wilsons strength against the Ds weakness.
Wilson may never be able play the way a Breeze or Manning does just like they will never be able to play like Wilson.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
justafan":r99sih07 said:
Wilson may never be able play the way a Breeze or Manning does just like they will never be able to play like Wilson.

Thank goodness! The last think I want to see Wilson do is stand perfectly still and peer into the clouds like a 'rooster, cockadoodledooster,' ala Drew Brees. That's the strangest damn thing I've ever seen. :shock:

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
MysterMatt":fssa5tje said:
bestfightstory":fssa5tje said:
^As it should be.

With goal to go, I want the ball:

A/B: In Russell Wilson's hands.

or

A/B: in Marshawn Lynch's hands.

OR ELSE Bevell is a dummy!!
Zachary Miller is conspicuously absent in the red zone...so far...wouldn't you say? Hmmm.

Know what? You're absolutely right. He seemed way underutilized last season, to me, as well until he suddenly emerged in grand fashion in the playoffs. Something to look for.

Jac

Reaction score
If I was the Washington Redskins, I might be interested in bringing him in for an interview.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
bestfightstory":25n53xq1 said:
I know damn well the Bevell hating crowd was ready to crucify him (for the bazillionth time) for calling a pass play with goal to go up until the moment RW flicked a pass to Marshawn for a TD.

If you're looking for someone to take your bait, I could argue that it was a bad decision since it took a pretty slick last-ditch effort to make the play effective. It's not like the play worked as designed...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Amazing what happens when players execute the plays.

They killed a bunch more with penalties or Bevell would look even better to the haters.

ceej22

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2ksi1uvc said:

I'll bite.

No we wouldn't admit it because the rest of the game up until that point he fed Lynch. Also, the game was not in danger of being lost. As a Bevell hater that sequence did not bother me. He did what we all felt he should have done and that was run to set up the pass.

hawk45

Reaction score
Folks got down on Bevell for getting too cute in the red zone and on short-yardage plays. Either Bevell learned the lesson on his own after half a season or Pete got in his earhole, but he's been much better in the red zone. I'm not sure it's much of an "I told you so" situation. Bevell is finally doing what people have been (rightly) screaming for him to do. Is he supposed to be a genius for figuring out what the entire world, fans, announcers, everyone, were on his case for?

In the case of the flip-pass from Russell, that worked out great because of Russell, but Lynch sneaking out down there was nice design as well. I think being cute in the red zone is forgivable and effective even when it's the exception and not the rule.