Bevell Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Ha! Forgot that , Matt.

Get us to the 5 yard line = guaranteed play action bootleg where Russell rolls to his right. Every. Damn. Time.

And every time the defense brings someone off the edge and Wilson has nowhere to run, has to force a pass or throw it out of the endzone.

Bevell sucks

captSE

Reaction score
Zack Miller means big points!! Remember last year's big point games? Then you will remember Zack Miller catching them passes.

HawkStar3

Reaction score
Stop. Just stop and think.
You dont think that Pete has a hand all over this gameplan every week?
You dont think it could have something to do with the weather?
Maybe it could be tied directly to the fact that our defense has been lights out? RUN THE BALL (and the clock) and lean on the defense.

Our offense has not been as good as others. Not even as good as it could be.. but, trust the coaches. TRUST THE COACHES that got us to the NFCCG after securing HFA throughout.
Because believe me there is a PLAN.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Was anyone else disappointed not seeing Percy in the backfield for at least one play before existing? How was the read option, PA pass with Percy and Marshawn in the backfield not in the playbook?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reality is that Bevell is the weak link.

But, we are stuck with him.

We aren't going to can him 6 days before the conference championship. There is nobody else going to ring the door and show up to call the plays.

We just have to hope the team can be good enough to overcome him.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Could someone please call the ASPCA! This poor dead horse topic has been beaten into a smoldering pile of carrion even a vulture or hyena would not approach!

StoneCold

Reaction score
I do think our offense is a bit plain. I don't think that's the problem. It's execution. People are saying if you know what's coming you can stop it. Why is it then we see over and over a team that is ahead, needs to burn some clock, and they run, run, run the ball. Everyone on the other team knows they're going to run and still can't stop it? Execution.

SC

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Football Outsiders Audibles at the Line: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibl ... onal-round

They specifically call out Bevell, and also point out that Wilson hasn't looked confident. Scott Kacsmar even said he thought Wilson looked better in his Atlanta loss than in either of his two playoff wins thus far.

When you spend your first two years in the NFL behind very poor pass protection, gee, guess what happens? Not that Wilson is blameless, but as I've said a few times off and on over the past six weeks or so, to my eyes it looks like we are in the process of "David Carr'ing" and "Marc Bulger'ing" Wilson. If we don't get him better protection and some improved plays that help him quickly get rid of the ball so pass protection flaws aren't affecting him as much, we might just kill our quarterback's career.

Go watch pretty much any one of our games against a team not named Jacksonville and watch how fast our pocket collapses most of the time on passing downs. (Blind monkeys can spot most of our passing downs before the snap...) Sometimes Wilson leaves it early, but generally he is flushed from the pocket very quickly...And we do NOTHING to help him with it, like tight ends chipping then going out for a quick pass, or calling more slants and other quick & short routes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":i4e1avwp said:
The reality is that Bevell is the weak link.

I think a lot of the frustration about our passing game is misguided. Bevell isn't doing anything his head coach isn't telling him to do, the blame lies at Pete's feet.

Carroll is the one tell us after every game that this is all part of the plan, protect the ball and let the defense make stops. So it's not like Bevell can just ignore Pete's philosophy and call 40 straight passing plays. He's being TOLD to scheme conservatively.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Carroll just wants a low-risk offense, there's no way he micromanages Bevell and the offense. Get real. He's a DB guy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s4bdtj1y said:
Carroll just wants a low-risk offense, there's no way he micromanages Bevell and the offense. Get real. He's a DB guy.

He's the head coach, that's his job to micromanage every detail of this team.

Also remember the reins are supposedly off of Russell, so let's include him in the passing blame game. He's make some REALLY bad passes and decisions down the stretch. According to Russell himself, he's given 2-3 options EVERY down..........to keep the play, or change the play to 1-2 other plays depending on the defense.

All I'm saying is this is football, so to blame one person is not fair. Our passing woes are a 5 headed monster.

1. Pete
2. Russell
3. Bevell
4. WR's/TE's/RB's
5. O-Line protection

To blame one man for the sins of many is WAY shortsighted.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The reins are supposedly off of Russell according to whom, Largent? You say Wilson, but Wilson said he had to beg Bevell for one of our few successful 3rd down conversions, (the barely-caught Baldwin pass, which was actually a bad play call IMO, despite working) do you have ANY EVIDENCE for what you are thinking? If so, please provide it.

Head coaches don't micromanage everything. What in the world makes you think that? They have coordinators, position coaches, and an assistant head coach (Cable) in our case. They are the ones in the details. Pete dictates the overall.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is the offensive coordinator.

It is his job to structure the offense and assure it is executed. If he does that, he gets the accolades (like Quinn is getting well deserved credit for the defense).

Whether Pete demands certain types of play (risk free plays etc) or wants to concentrate on the running game is immaterial. You CAN call running plays while altering your sets and looks. Whether something is a run or pass does not always define how the play will look or run. And I understand that sometimes you have to run plays for little or no gain to keep the defense honest. But part of being successful on offense is to make the defense guess wrong, commit people to the wrong parts of the field and then take advantage of those matchups. Bevell SUCKS at that.

Frankly, the entire chess match part of being a coordinator is something he struggles with. He cannot and does not make adequate in game adjustments. His philosophy might come from Pete, or maybe it is just ego but he just tries to force his will on the other team. And that is cool and wonderful when you play weaker teams, but the more evenly matched teams with good staff are going to see and counter your moves. They also are going to come in with their own strategy and you are going to have to adjust to counter THEIR moves. Bevell is not adept enough or smart enough to do this.

You do realize that we are still struggling to figure out how to move the ball once the Rams wrote their little book How To Stop The Seahawks in that game 4+ games ago? Bevell hasn't figured out how to overcome a tactical adjustment that was made against us multiple games ago.

He just cannot make adjustments. It wasn't the weather. He has been doing this all year.

And when you get paid to be the guy that puts together the offense and executes it? It is absolutely your responsibility (fault) if it does not produce.
He is not producing and really has not been consistently doing so all year.

RCATES

Reaction score
I'm as frustrated as many of you with this Offense the past several weeks.

Where are our TE's? They seem to disappear some weeks. Is our Offensive line that bad that they have to stay back and pass protect every down? If that's the case its not working because it seems like every time RW drops back he is under pressure. So much for getting our starters on the O-Line back helping the Offense.

RW has officially hit a brick wall. You can blame the OC / WR's/ O-line or whatever. Our QB is missing wide open receiver's in several key 3rd downs several times a game.

What happen to the deep passing attack? We keep seeing teams loading the box to stop the run and daring RW to throw. Yet we aren't attacking the opposing teams secondary deep. Are Lockette, Baldwin, Kearse, Tate really not getting any separation? Are we doomed with no Sidney Rice?

We lit up a very talented Rams secondary a few ago but get shut down by a Saints secondary playing with mostly back-ups? Before anyone cries ohh it was the wind on Sunday. Well Bree's put up 300 yards in the AIR against the best secondary in Football.

Yes we are still winning and our defense outside of coming off the tracks in the 4th qtr the last 2 years in the playoffs have been playing very well. Regardless what anyone here wants to think this Offense is in trouble if they think this type of play will get it down in the next 2 games because it won't. We looked much more dangerous this time last year.

All I can say is hopefully our defense continues to keep us in games. If PH doesn't get through all the concussion test's this week we are in trouble. 9 completion's won't get it done against the Niners next week. Niners will not let Lynch beat them on Sunday. RW will have to lead us to victory. If he fails and has a bad game our season is over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":1cqv713s said:
RW has officially hit a brick wall. You can blame the OC / WR's/ O-line or whatever. Our QB is missing wide open receiver's in several key 3rd downs several times a game..

Logic has no place in this thread my friend. This thread is for crucifying Bevell, the fact that Russell has thrown like ass for going on a month now missing open receivers and being inaccurate is of no importance here.

lsheldon

Reaction score
This was interesting:

Aaron Schatz: And Percy Harvin out with a concussion.

Note from Aaron: In the Seattle locker room after the game, Harvin was in a shoulder sling, so the issue was more than just a concussion.

Vince Verhei: Well, that had to be the least satisfying playoff win ever. What on earth was that game? Who were those men wearing Drew Brees' and Russell Wilson's jerseys? Why does Darrell Bevell's entire third-down playbook consist of slant routes? Why can't Seattle's receivers get open on slant routes? Why, when they did get open on those slant routes, did Wilson miss them? They built their lead largely because the Saints forgot how to run screen passes, then they sealed it only when Marques Colston did one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a man do on a football field.

I'm trying to imagine, hypothetically, if they win the Super Bowl like this, will I be happy? It's a moot point, because if they don't play any better they'll never get there. But next week they host the NFC Championship and I'm sitting here pissed off.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
In the first San Francisco game, Russell had a similar line and we leaned on our running game and defense for the win.

Can anyone explain to me why we would pass more than we did in the wind against the #2 pass defense when you are winning and have the #1 defense at home?

No one has adequately explained to me why we needed a gameplan that was any less conservative.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ia92cq3 said:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2014/clutch-encounters-divisional-round

Football Outsiders in another article saying it looked like the Saints were targeting Percy.

I am developing a hatred for the Saints...

Why? That's smart football, and exactly what we would have done if the roles were switched. You don't just let a guy like Harvin run buck wild on you, you pound him.

btw, this is what EVERY team has done against Harvin since he's been in the league. Which is why he's always dinged up.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I need to add one clarification. While I do think Russell had a bad game, he also made some brilliant plays, the biggest being the 3rd down conversion pass to Baldwin in the 4th. I heard this morning on Brock and Danny that he actually audibled on that play since he saw Baldwin single-covered, so props to him for having some stones to make that decision and then deliver.

That said, I damn near shat myself when the play was unfolding. Talk about a high-risk play!

Status
Not open for further replies.