Bevell Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
willyum":ucib7qd3 said:
My 13 year old sister who just started watching football this season was able to predict when the Seahawks ran a pass play... i didnt know what to do with that lol
Our formations are more vanilla than plain oatmeal.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1lyjx487 said:
Bevell had some truly awful calls yesterday.. even the 3rd and 3 pass to Baldwin was a terrible call that only worked because of a ridiculous catch by Doug

I'd be more inclined to buy the conservative play approach because of weather if this team were throwing it better earlier, but the last 5 weeks have been the equivalent of a root canal in the passing game.

Our robot quarterback is usually programmed to give credit to others but it's telling when Wilson says he had to convince Bevell to call that 3rd and 3 deep pass. It worked because it was unexpected and because you trust your skill players in crucial moments.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
RW is always preparing because he is concerned about countering defenses. He may become a great OC someday when he retires his helmet. Watching and listening to Bevell for many seasons I can't say i have the same feeling about him unfortunately.

plyka

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3vakl76h said:
AbsolutNET":3vakl76h said:
Why is it so outlandish for fans to not be satisfied with the #26 passing offense in the league? Is there anyone here that wouldn't like to see that improve?

Carolina and SF had the #29 and #30 passing offenses in the league. Do we refuse to recognize that these three teams play a certain style and are perfectly content to be at the very bottom of the league in overall passing yards? We're talking about the three best teams in the NFC here.

I understand discussing the offense, but most of the people complaining make utterly no attempt to contextualize the numbers by taking into account philosophy, weather, opposing defenses, game-situations, etc.

I don't think you understand the argument. Look at the niner offense right now and compare it the the hawks offense. Just compare this offense earlier in the year with it now. There are some massive problems with the seahawks offense at the present time. If you don't see that and think things are going swimmingly then I don't know what to say.

plyka

Reaction score
storm74":3uymbkon said:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

All that I am saying is mix it up. Throw a draw or a screen in every once in a while.

Are you referring to bevell or the largent poster on this board? He did have ten posts in a row saying the exact same thing?

hangumhi

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3p7zdyol said:
Meh, Carolina and San Francisco call their games the same way. All your gimmicky, high risk offenses are sitting at home right now. I guess the fan frustration is inevitable since Niner fans whine about the same thing with their team.

I'm a fan of what works. And I define "what works" as "what wins."

Agree. Bevell is a plague to this offense. Too many third downs. I would love to see Hasselbeck as our OC. Heck if I'm dreaming I'd say Manning. Someone who understands what the offense is seeing in the defense who knows what a DAMN rub route is or when to dial up a screen and when not to dial up an F'ing weak side bubble screen! Someone with the ability to coach a quarterback. Someone who knows football. And while I'm wishing...someone slap the shit out of Quinn for dropping 8 and playing 10 yds off with 4 mins to go in the 4th. Doesn't Pete remember Atlanta? wtf were they thinking?

hangumhi

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3kmmwq0j said:
Hasselbeck":3kmmwq0j said:
Bevell had some truly awful calls yesterday.. even the 3rd and 3 pass to Baldwin was a terrible call that only worked because of a ridiculous catch by Doug

I'd be more inclined to buy the conservative play approach because of weather if this team were throwing it better earlier, but the last 5 weeks have been the equivalent of a root canal in the passing game.

Our robot quarterback is usually programmed to give credit to others but it's telling when Wilson says he had to convince Bevell to call that 3rd and 3 deep pass. It worked because it was unexpected and because you trust your skill players in crucial moments.

Last year Bevell said it was Wilson who convinced him to implement read option. What else is a rookie and second year qb trying to coach Bevell on? Bevell sucks.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I like the quote how his little sister could predict the plays.

Last season I had a female game day friend and we were both nearly pulling hair out on a game by game basis watching Bevell's play calling. It's not like this is some new phenomenon. I am honestly amazed some people seem so unaware about this issue.

I respect ANY seahawks fan especially those who wish to join the discussions on this site. But there are some people which I just can't see eye to eye with. I'm all about the cup half full stuff, but at a certain point you just need to be realistic. Bevell is our weakness, our offense is much more talented than our average production statistically.

In this past game I think the conservative style may have been smart due to the weather. But people are acting like this one last game was the only offensively dissapointing game but it's justified by weather...

Truth is our offense has been pretty lackluster starting with the 49ers game, and we have had multiple games before that AND last season like the game WE LOST THE PLAYOFFS to the Falcons last year...

But anyways back to my point about how even the 13 year old girl brand new football fan can predict our plays... My Seahawks friend last season was a girl and she came over for most the games and even she was going absolutely crazy with our play calling last season how terrible and predictable it was...

NOTHING HAS CHANGED... we are still extremely predictable but our defense is even better now so people turn a blind eye. I'm not sure if it's gonna be enough against the 49ers or in the Super Bowl. Honestly I am scared we will get shut down hard. I hope I'm wrong but all those saying this couldn't come back to bite us are delusional.

And I'm not saying women aren't capable of understanding sports, but this girl who knew Bevell sucked wasn't exactly a sports Einstien by any means (she was a very smart person though in general). She was telling me we should go to some Mariner games last season since she said they would be good, which obviously I LOL'ed a bit and was skeptical but didn't want to rain on her parade.

My point is you don't have to be a sports genius to see how much our offense sucks. All our success is due purely to talent NOT Bevell. We have a few good plays mixed in... maybe like 1 or 2 a game but we need good plays every drive! Is that really too much to ask?

EDIT: It also amazes me that this is the FIRST time I can remember seeing national news questioning our offense... Maybe I'm forgetting past articles. But that just blows my mind that finally now the media is talking about what I've been seeing ever since Russell got here.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iajw6xg said:
Great.

What is our 3rd down conversion % over the past 3 games?

What about our scores per drive?

Do we strive to be pedestrian at those too? Because that is why our OC is failing us.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... earing-act

So it's Bevell's fault Wilson couldn't hit a wide open Tate on a simple slant on third down?

We're a smarter fan base than this.

Bevell isn't blameless, but neither is he worthy of solitary scapegoat status.

It's stunning that people see this as black and white, there are so many factors and contributors to the overall success of this offense.

themunn

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3ifpyn68 said:
Hasselbeck":3ifpyn68 said:

For every person saying it's telling that we only called that play because Wilson convinced Bevell there's somebody saying it was a ridiculous decision to pass there and Bevell is "lucky" that it came off

Tokadub

Reaction score
"Our robot quarterback is usually programmed to give credit to others but it's telling when Wilson says he had to convince Bevell to call that 3rd and 3 deep pass. It worked because it was unexpected and because you trust your skill players in crucial moments."

Can someone please post a link which proves Wilson had to convince Bevell to call that play? I keep hearing that but I haven't seen it officially. Not that I don't believe it, but I just need to see the source to confirm it mentally.

justafan

Reaction score
I love these My little sister can call the plays before they happen posts.Is she fluent in the west coast offense verbage?
And I would love to know how she can tell what route combinations are called from watching on TV?Usually you cant see the WRs and the pass plays breakdown so quick it wouldnt matter anyway.Gonna call BS on these guys.
The truth is we just arnt that talented on offense.I love Wilson but he needs to make the next step and learn to beat people from the pocket.Its easy to forget he is only in his second year and this is the first time he has struggled for a stretch of games.I dont think he will ever be the type of QB who will stand tough in the pocket letting plays develop,which is fine but its tough to have any cosistency with a QB like that.Especially with this Oline
I love Tate and Baldwin but they dont scare any one and they disappear during the game.They need a NO 1 to open things up for them.They are most dangerous when plays break down and it turns into playground ball.Without Harvin they are average at best.
Of the remaining teams its possible we have the weakest Oline at this time.
The only real complaint I have against the offensive coaches is they cant get the team to execute simple plays consistently.I throw Cable in there as well.
This team will win it all playing tough D,no turnovers, running the ball and Wilson making big plays out of the pocket on broken plays.They can put up alot of points and beat anybody with that formula.I love ugly ball.
If you want a clockwork offense like Manning or Brady runs it isnt happening on this team with this personel regardless who calls the plays.
Manning and the Broncos scored 24, wonder if they are wanting the OC fired,same with Roman in SF.2 games scoring 23 points.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson made Bevell look like a genius last year and most of this year, but now that Bevell is being considered for HC positions, it seems as though our offense has taken a step back.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":b92hy0v2 said:
TwistedHusky":b92hy0v2 said:
Great.

What is our 3rd down conversion % over the past 3 games?

What about our scores per drive?

Do we strive to be pedestrian at those too? Because that is why our OC is failing us.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... earing-act

So it's Bevell's fault Wilson couldn't hit a wide open Tate on a simple slant on third down?

We're a smarter fan base than this.

It's stunning that people see this as black and white, there are so many factors and contributors to the overall success of this offense.

Nope. But it is his fault that we run first and second down setting up a third down every friggin series.

Every time Turbin comes in = hand off to Turbin= 2 yards.

Third and ten= 6 yard slant.

He has Russell Friggin Wilson at his disposal. And his creativity is severely lacking.

No check downs, no TE plays, no double moves.

Look at defenses stacking the box and us doing nothing to open space or make them pay.

80% of our passes are to the sidelines.

Seems to me we are more insistent on forcing our will with Marshawn than outsmarting the defense.

Bevell sucks

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1qdafpaa said:

Tell me who is at fault besides Bevell for the simplistic formations we use almost all of the time. Look at the Patriots offense. They will run three times in a row out of three completely different formations to help keep the defense guessing. When's the last time we ran a pass play with Lynch lined up in the I formation, for instance?

Part of the problem is we telegraph ALL of our intentions to defenses, and THAT is not even a 1% "execution" problem, English.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":31ah9eyp said:
It's always Bevell's fault.

Yesterday we needed to execute better. The play calling was more than fine. They were conservative because they were winning 16-0 and taking the air out of the ball. And that was almost certainly PC's decision, not Bevell's.

Can they improve? Sure. But it's just as much on Wilson and the receivers to get this passing game going as it is Bevell.

People need to chill out.
Wilson was awful again Saturday, I agree. The thing is, and again I refer to the end of the second quarter when it was 1st and goal, Bevell sucks. Marshawn was on fire, so why did the play calling include arguably our worst running play and then inept pass after pass, wherein we also lost our secret weapon? It was an embarrassment.

That single scenario sums up our OC's season. He depends on somebody making a great play and wilts when smash mouth football is what is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts