Bevell!

xgeoff

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1ro8s1wg said:
Not giving Bevell any credit. This is against a weak 49ers defense

In my opinion it really doesn't matter who the defense is. The play calls need to make sense and last night, I thought they did. It's good for the team in general if Bevell can call a game that puts our team in position to be successful. I think we'd all admit that he has not always done that this year. In fact, one could argue he hasn't done much of that at all this year.

So kudos Darell, keep it up, because we need you calling a good game if we are going to be successful...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The thing I was most pleased about yesterday as it concerns Bevell's playcalling was the obvious effort at the end of the game to get Rawls to 200.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think it was more of Russell taking what was available within the play calls. He seemed to get rid of the ball on time and wasn't looking for "something better" on every play. Shows that Russell is progressing, even if it was against a bad team...gotta start somewhere. He'll really need to continue this next week against a quick stealer team. GO HAWKS!

xgeoff

Reaction score
rideaducati":72scfu2k said:
I think it was more of Russell taking what was available within the play calls. He seemed to get rid of the ball on time and wasn't looking for "something better" on every play. Shows that Russell is progressing, even if it was against a bad team...gotta start somewhere. He'll really need to continue this next week against a quick stealer team. GO HAWKS!

I think I agree with this. It seemed like he did more of the drop back--read--throw, rather than waiting back there and risking a sack or a fumble or whatever. It seems like the offense works better when he does more of that. Not that he did that exclusively, nor do I think he needs to do that exclusively, but (like you said) sometimes he just needs to get in rhythm and get the ball out on time. Make the initial read, then throw. Sometimes just avoiding negative plays is a positive.

marko358

Reaction score
There really wasn't much reason to be critical of Bevell's play calling yesterday. One of the better games he's called in awhile. Probably since the Panthers playoff game last year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Chawker":2863dw0i said:
HEY! WTH I thought you guys wanted to run Bevell out of town on a rail or tar & feather him, and now you guys are showing some respect for him??? Did hell get in an order of ice or what. Where sports? I'd like to hear what he thinks about this.

Slow down. We're all willing to credit the guy where he's due.

But is consistency too much to ask from him? We know he can call a quick passing game; he just seems to forget how to do it until November each year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
kearly":1a6ecroc said:
I was really interested in Scottemojo's take after this game. Early in the game I was groaning at the WR screen calls- the WR screen has been one of my bigger play calling critiques of Bevell the past two years since they are so rarely effective- but in this game they were consistently positive plays. The execution of those plays seemed crisper than usual.

There were some phantom holds in this game and a few others that were chippy. Lots of penalties on the OL which masks a very strong outing for the group.

Thats because most of them were not called set plays but audibles form Wilson based on defense alignment. So they worked