Bevell's explanation of the play call via espn Liz Mathews

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1sha6e7c said:
Every single person trying to win that game would call a run. Why didn't he? And why didn't Pete or Tom or Russell step in and change it? The whole shit smells fishy to me.

I hate the Dallas Cowboys, but back in the glory days they lost a game to the Eagles the same way. Crazy thing is, they had more time left, all four downs. They had Emmitt Smith, one of the greatest all-time running backs, but they decided to get cute. Pass was picked in the end zone and run back for a TD to put the game out of reach.

Coach Barry Switzer earned the nickname dumbo for that play.

rams2050

Reaction score
Hey, guys and gals,

As a Rams' fan I am jealous of hell of the success your team has been having, and I hope that the Rams' can come back and beat you both games next year AND go the SB. See, I believe in Santa Claus, too.

That being said, you guys should in no way be hanging your heads. YOU WON THAT SB! IT WAS TAKEN AWAY IN THE LAST FEW SECONDS BY AN IDIOT WHO MADE AN INCOMPREHENSIBLE PLAY CALL!

He should have given it to Lynch 3X in a row and it would have been a different ending, a HAPPY ending.

But at least you can hold your heads high knowing that YOUR team, playing at about 85% healthy with all the injuries and in-game player removals, took the so-called 'Mighty' Cheats to the mat -- and would have come up a winner if there was any justice in the world.

But the Cheats' win is tainted, and it will always be tainted. They did NOT get to the big dance fair and square, although I am sure that their good butt-buddy GoodHell will find nothing wrong with anything the Cheats did on the run-up to the SB.

In any event, I hate your team but I love them, as well, because they nearly pulled off a huge win last night, and it has to have been one of the most exciting Super Bowls EVER!

Just wish with all my heart that you guys would have won.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bevell's explanation of the play call simply doesn't make much sense

It was 2nd down, the team had 30 plus seconds when the play was called, plus a timeout to use, and they have the best running game in football. Throwing a contested slant pass to the middle of the field made little sense, too many bad things could happen. Naturally they did.

If they ran inside and burned 10-15 seconds before they used a TO to stop the clock they'd still have time to run another two plays to gain a yard. Bevell outsmarted himself and he cost the Hawks a SB victory. If the stupid play as called had succeeded the Hawks still would be leaving enough time on the clock for NE to attempt to tie the game, so I'm not buying the clock management line.

Worse still, he's not a good coach. Following the game he threw his own player under the bus by saying Lockette didn't go hard enough to the ball instead of owning that he was totally responsible or totally galactically stupid for calling that play. Many other plays, a fade, a read option, wheel route or a misdirection running play all would have been better and higher percentage choices. Where were the TE passes?

He needs to leave because he's awful and stupid beyond all belief. Sadly this isn't the first time this season Bevell has screwed the team by ignoring it's strength running. He's demonstrated he's a weak O coordinator and the Hawks can do better. His comments about Lockette will insure the team won't have much trust of him going forward as well.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3ne10gpm said:
I get Bevell's logic, but I think he's wrong. The ball was snapped with 25 seconds to go. All you need to do is snap the next run with more than about 5 seconds left and you can call a timeout to run on 4th down. Very easy to get 3 runs in that situation.

And if you are going to take a shot in the endzone, it needs to be a safer play that gives Wilson the option to throw it away or scramble.
This is where I'm at. I have zero problems with a pass play here, but if the match up is our pass group vs their goal line run d why not go with an outside pass or a boot that gives Russ an option to run as well or throw it away. The slant has so many ways to go wrong and we haven't been great at it all year. Matthews was money all day. Throw him a fade or a back shoulder bullet with open air behind him. No excuse for putting that ball anywhere near a New England defender in the air.

FLhawkfan

Reaction score
Actual footage of Bevell trying to decide the playcall:

[youtube]U_eZmEiyTo0[/youtube]

razor150

Reaction score
Best case scnario it is a TD or a dro, worst case Int or Lockette is dropped short and we have to burn the timeout. Given his own explaination, why did he call that play? Should have called something that is either a TD or a football in the stands.

The idea of a pass was sound, but with that play call it is either a td or short if completed, so it was basicslly no different then a run. It was idiotic.

Hawkee

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Bevell called this play to spite Lynch. I mean everyone and their mother who was watching/listening to the game was expecting the ball to go to Lynch on this very situation.

Hawkee

Reaction score
razor150":3b0megqm said:
Best case scnario it is a TD or a dro, worst case Int or Lockette is dropped short and we have to burn the timeout. Given his own explaination, why did he call that play? Should have called something that is either a TD or a football in the stands.

The idea of a pass was sound, but with that play call it is either a td or short if completed, so it was basicslly no different then a run. It was idiotic.

Unless Matthews was in the area. Imagine him in the slot and a high throw....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, confirmation that Bevell calls ALL the individual plays. Since the vast majority of the problem I have with what we did is the particular play call we went with rather than the fact that it was just a passing play, my hatred's feeling rather justified.

It's almost ironic in a way, since I've wanted to see more quick slants for quite some time overall, but that situation and field location is NOT an instance where we should have used one.

garrylt4

Reaction score
I've said it all day, Warren Sapp made the second most bone head decision in Arizona on Sunday

jacobsod

Reaction score
Just makes me even more mad. That jerk needs to APOLOGIZE to the team and the fans.

I'm starting to get mad at Pete for backing him so much, too. I understand being a professional but enough is ENOUGH. Do something. Fast. This is a tight-knit band of brothers sorts of team. Don't let it be destroyed.

Last night I was just completely stunned. Today, all day, I'm just royally pissed. Flat out, we were ROBBED. :evil: :evil:

hawk45

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2yabq67o said:
Famous Last Words: "I might see who could run it."

WTF does that even mean? I get a mental image of Bevell the Sicilian having his internal soliloquy and finally settling on Turbin or Michael because "yeah, that'll get 'em."

Boy if he ever had HC potential this call and his interview performances the last 2 days have killed it dead. Imagine you're a GM listening to Bevell here and you hear "I might see who could run it."

He's entering Tomsula territory here only at least with Tomsula I hear his players like him.