Big WR's we should look closer at

GCrow

Reaction score
Count me in as a Moncrief fan as well. Just feel like he could be a steal especially if he slips to the 3rd/4th rounds.

Also am growing to be a M Bryant fan as well, as one must assume that height + that arm length and 39" vertical = insane catch radius. Also like the fit as everything i've been hearing is he's raw, so would make for a great red zone target starting off as he gets worked in to the NFL.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm loving Jordan Matthews more and more to go along with my receiver wish-list, though he won't be around in the fourth where I'd prefer to draft a WR. if we take him in the second, though, he seems so good, so intelligent, and so hard working, I see him as thriving with a film junkie like RW. Other an that, I'd wait till the fourth and take Janis, Coleman, Moncrief (if available), or wait till the fifth and take Hoffman or Campenaro (who doesn't meet the criteria as a tall WR, but is a steal in this draft IMO).

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
aawolf":1ldgx7qt said:
I'm loving Jordan Matthews more and more to go along with my receiver wish-list, though he won't be around in the fourth where I'd prefer to draft a WR. if we take him in the second, though, he seems so good, so intelligent, and so hard working, I see him as thriving with a film junkie like RW. Other an that, I'd wait till the fourth and take Janis, Coleman, Moncrief (if available), or wait till the fifth and take Hoffman or Campenaro (who doesn't meet the criteria as a tall WR, but is a steal in this draft IMO).

• Moncrief 6'2--32 3/8 Arms--9 1/8 hands
    40yd- 4.40
    Bench- 13
    Vert- 39.5
    Broad Jump- 132
    3 Cone- 7.02
    20yd shuttle- 4.30

Matthews 6'3--33 1/4 Arms--10 3/8 hands
    40yd-4.46
    Bench- 21
    Vert- 35.5
    Boad Jump- 120
    3 Cone- 6.95
    20yd Shuttle- 4.18

Bryant 6'4--32 5/8 Arms--9 1/2 hands
    40yd- 4.42
    Bench- 16
    Vert- 39
    Broad Jump- 124
    3 Cone- 7.18
    20 yd Shuttle- 4.15

Biggest thing that stand out is Moncrief isn't very strong but can jump like crazy, and Matthews has huge hands.

Moncrief ceiling is a solid #1 at worst will be a upgrade over Tate as a #2
Matthews potential is = to Moncrief
Bryant has the highest Ceiling but biggest bust potential

aawolf

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1lykvw1v said:
aawolf":1lykvw1v said:

40yd- 4.40
    Bench- 13
    Vert- 39.5
    Broad Jump- 132
    3 Cone- 7.02
    20yd shuttle- 4.30

40yd-4.46
    Bench- 21
    Vert- 35.5
    Boad Jump- 120
    3 Cone- 6.95
    20yd Shuttle- 4.18

40yd- 4.42
    Bench- 16
    Vert- 39
    Broad Jump- 124
    3 Cone- 7.18
    20 yd Shuttle- 4.15

Biggest thing that stand out is Moncrief isn't very strong but can jump like crazy, and Matthews has huge hands.

I think the fact that Mocrief is an underclassman and Matthews graduated in 3.5 years from Vanderbilt, has great communication skills (from interviews I've heard), and at least seems to "get it" as far as work ethic goes (not saying Moncrief doesn't "get it", I just haven't seen as much of him), puts Matthews higher on the draft board for me. Character matters as far as draft position does as it does in any work place environment and I would love to have Matthews on my team.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
aawolf":gml5biib said:
Wenhawk":gml5biib said:
aawolf":gml5biib said:

40yd- 4.40
    Bench- 13
    Vert- 39.5
    Broad Jump- 132
    3 Cone- 7.02
    20yd shuttle- 4.30

40yd-4.46
    Bench- 21
    Vert- 35.5
    Boad Jump- 120
    3 Cone- 6.95
    20yd Shuttle- 4.18

40yd- 4.42
    Bench- 16
    Vert- 39
    Broad Jump- 124
    3 Cone- 7.18
    20 yd Shuttle- 4.15

I think the fact that Mocrief is an underclassman and Matthews graduated in 3.5 years from Vanderbilt, has great communication skills (from interviews I've heard), and at least seems to "get it" as far as work ethic goes (not saying Moncrief doesn't "get it", I just haven't seen as much of him), puts Matthews higher on the draft board for me. Character matters as far as draft position does as it does in any work place environment and I would love to have Matthews on my team.

This team drafts for upside...Ruskell always went character. Just sayin.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2254x01q said:
aawolf":2254x01q said:
Wenhawk":2254x01q said:
aawolf":2254x01q said:

40yd- 4.40
    Bench- 13
    Vert- 39.5
    Broad Jump- 132
    3 Cone- 7.02
    20yd shuttle- 4.30

40yd-4.46
    Bench- 21
    Vert- 35.5
    Boad Jump- 120
    3 Cone- 6.95
    20yd Shuttle- 4.18

40yd- 4.42
    Bench- 16
    Vert- 39
    Broad Jump- 124
    3 Cone- 7.18
    20 yd Shuttle- 4.15

Character matters to this team too. It's just that Ruskell didn't care about talent. Or risk.

Matthews is a year and a half younger than Kelvin Benjamin (RSo). Seems like Matthews should be older, but he just started playing college ball the day he stepped on campus.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":19iwhe6h said:
ImTheScientist":19iwhe6h said:
aawolf":19iwhe6h said:

Character matters to this team too. It's just that Ruskell didn't care about talent. Or risk.

Matthews is a year and a half younger than Kelvin Benjamin (RSo). Seems like Matthews should be older, but he just started playing college ball the day he stepped on campus.

Attyla knows what's going on. Ruskell wanted seniors from big programs with good character. It wasn't finding 'good guys' that made him suck so bad; it was the non-desire to go outside of a very strict formula.

Zybot

Reaction score
I like Benjamin as a prospect, but I don't really hear much about the Seahawks being interested in him, because he is probably gone by then and the Seahawks really need their late round picks. Big size. Good college career. Good hands in traffic. If he is there at 32, I would love to see the Seahawks take him.

aawolf

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":10n09tx8 said:
ImTheScientist":10n09tx8 said:

Think about this: What makes Sherman great and made him out-perform his fifth-round status? What makes Russel Wilson great and made his critics eat crow? Its the same thing for both players--intelligence about the game, about studying film and applying yourself outside the playing field. The "separation is in the preparation". Who do you trust to study more? The underclassman or the guy that graduated from Vanderbilt (an elite school by the way)? Sherman graduated from Stanford and was the saludictorian of his high school. Russel Graduated in 3.5 years from NC State before pursuing a baseball career after he was drafted. See how study habits and dedication to school work may actually be a good indicator on how great a player can be?

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not a bad song, listened to some of their other stuff as well, reminds me a little of Mackelmore.

So im really into Moncrief and Matthews right now as 2nd rounders and watched some more of Matthews. I noticed he lined up as the split-end (Tate position) more than any other but he was used as the Flanker and Slot as well. Not sure if I view that as good or bad. It means he can play more than one position and is smart enough to learn all the positions, but he has limited experience as the Flanker which is where i'd expect our 2nd round pick to play. In Moncrief's videos I noticed he only played at Flanker and Slit-end but seemed he progressed from split-end to Flakner. I'd be very happy with either. Just like last year I'm salivating over all these WR's and we got disappointed with Chris Harper.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Tate is not a split end. I've seen this written a lot. He occasionally will line up on the line. But generally he's lined up off the line.

Rice is your prototype split end. Always lined up on the line, either weak side, or with a TE lined up as H back.

Matthews lined up more like Tate as a junior with some X (split end) mixed in. His senior year, he lined up predominantly as an X. Matthews can excel at either. Has a very sudden/quick release at the line that is clearly evident that it's improving. Added a lot of strength between his junior and senior years to improve his ability to match and beat physical/press corners. I'd surmise that he was told he needed to improve at certain aspects in order to play the X, and he did precisely that.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm coming to my senses Attyla, gotta admit I think Matthews is a better fit.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Of all the WRs available, I hope the Seahawks do not choose Paul Richardson. Dude is lighter and more fragile than Percy Harvin. He had issues being durable in college. He's listed at 6'1, 170 pds. He's going to get mauled at the next level.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm surprised there hasn't been more Devin Street talk. He is a really good player. His game reminds me a lot of Sidney Rice. Does everything really well.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1t97avrq said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been more Devin Street talk. He is a really good player. His game reminds me a lot of Sidney Rice. Does everything really well.

I like the lack of hype, not just on here, but in general, it gives me hope of us being able to grab him in the 4th. The guy is no slouch at 6,3 and put up a third of Pitt's receiving yards last season, a lot of which came from the slot. Solid route runner who should be talked about as a second day selection, not third.

As for the comparisons, I actually see a lot of Terrance Williams in him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
When I lived in Ca I had Fresno season tix so Im a big Adams fan. I like Derek Carr as well at the college level but I will just say I think he was lucky to have Adams.

I also had a thought/idea what it would be like if Jets signed Sidney and drafted Mathews? I dont know what Sidneys market is or or if he would want to go to the QB situation?

TheWebHead

Reaction score
corey washington of newberry, 6'4" 207 could be a 7th round or free agent option, not a lot to go on online but he showed some nice lateral moves for a guy his size on this punt return below. He had some good production with some sub par QB play.

[youtube]vG_CLx6Xdcw[/youtube]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here are some of small school sleepers that the Seahawks may have their eyes on. If not the draft then maybe as UDFA -

Jeremy Butler, 6-3/205, UT-Martin http://www.utmsports.com/athlete.cfm?id=2138&sport=Football
Seantavius Jones, 6-3/200, Valdosta State http://www.vstateblazers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1044
Matt Hazel, 6-3/190, Coastal Carolina http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/matt_hazel_586227.html
Jordan Harris, 6-2/215, Bryant http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/2013-14/bios/harris_jordan_nj7i
Lee Kurfis, 6-2/190, Lehigh http://lehighsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6030
Ronrei Lloyd, 6-3/190, Central Missouri http://www.ucmathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1781&path=football
Gianni Carter, 6-2/212, Duquesne, http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gianni_carter_797979.html. Born in Seattle, raised in Eugene, Ore. Local guy.
Tanner Bleskin, 6-3/218, Montana State http://www.msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2018&path=football