Biggest fear or Concern going into Carolina

hawk45

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2f5qa1at said:
My biggest concern is that Cam will run for a 1st down and I'll have to watch his ridiculous 1st down signal.

Must prevent at all costs.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rob12":24frwb4m said:
DavidSeven":24frwb4m said:
I'll be curious to see...does Russ have the stones to make the right check every time when Lynch is in the game? Meaning, will he go away from Lynch if he feels there's something he can exploit elsewhere? I think the Russ we've since the bye has been willing to beat teams with his mind in every way he knows how.

In the past, however, I think he's been deferential to Lynch, perhaps too much so. Will he call it like it's his offense now and not Lynch's? I really hope so. I think this is a game that Russ needs to win with his mind and his arm.

I'm with you. Russ needs to realize that this team is his. Hell, he should know that - Doug said they'd follow him into the darkness. It's his time.

We go as Russ goes. It's just that simple.

The bigger question is will PC, and the OC let him?

Mojambo

Reaction score
Offensive line regression against Short and Lotuleilei.

If Sweezy, Lewis and Britt have good games, we win.

NINEster

Reaction score
kearly":xonwlo4g said:
My biggest hope is that Seattle starts hot and puts Carolina in a big hole. Not only would the Panthers offense suffer if made one dimensional, but if you can make Newton get down on himself, you will usually win the game.

Nice of his team to eliminate that a lot this year.

Helps to have a nice strong team.

We've seen Cam when the support isn't there and it's ugly.

I know another mobile QB of similar size and speed that's experienced many similar issues, it's scary.

formido

Reaction score
Far and away, officiating. Or "penalties", if you prefer. If Seattle had not been docked 10 yards on each of their first 4 possessions, I suspect they would have blown out Arizona the first time. DVOA says they should have. Pete Carroll's dejected face after the game says he expected to.

mikeak

Reaction score
mikeak":cx9v0p3k said:
Game Plan
Slow Start
Cam Newton

2/3 - kind of sucks to be right.... Pass rush up the middle / Carolina running game are the other top contenders but game plan and slow start sure was unexpected....

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Slow start was unexpected? Really?

It was the level of first half fire and desire that bit us in the rear too many times this year relegating a 6th seed (also add: early divisional game losses biting as well). I don't know what happens in the locker room at halftime but we need it for all 4 qrtrs. This particular "slow start" put us in a 31 pt hole first half with little Hawk answer though. I would attribute that to declined fire due to the road game fight, one being near coldest on record.

And the tone is usually set by our D. It just wasn't happening (as well as they can). Backs were getting beat, run D was somewhat porous, Dline on and off, etc.

We need to fix this and I believe we will, but seeing another slow start was not shocking.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":38zf9y25 said:

It was the level of first half fire and desire that bit us in the rear too many times this year relegating a 6th seed (also add: early divisional game losses biting as well). I don't know what happens in the locker room at halftime but we need it for all 4 qrtrs. This particular "slow start" put us in a 31 pt hole first half with little Hawk answer though. I would attribute that to declined fire due to the road game fight, one being near coldest on record.

And the tone is usually set by our D. It just wasn't happening (as well as they can). Backs were getting beat, run D was somewhat porous, Dline on and off, etc.

We need to fix this and I believe we will, but seeing another slow start was not shocking.

I fail to see how having a lead that the D gives up on the fourth quarter (all of our regular season losses except STL) constitutes 'lack of fire' or a 'slow start.'

Have you actually watched any of the games this season? Your posts seem to be consistent with somebody who glances at the final score and fills in the blanks with any scenario that might fit.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":16prijq9 said:
Have you actually watched any of the games this season? .

Yes. All of them.

Are you really replying the Hawks haven't had slow starts this season?

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
HawknPeppe, I'll try and explain...

We have a playoff game where one team out the gate is focused, fired up, and ready to punch the other team in the mouth (set the tone, smash-mouth football - a term I'm sure you've heard before). If the other team does not match or better that it "can" lead to exactly what we saw today (a confused team finding themselves 21-31 pts down).
You go in hungrier, prepared, and play that same smash-mouth ball out the gate and teams have to respect it (especially from the Hawks, we're a talented bunch). You've matched the physicality and forced them to change/factor for it (if you're successful at it). You've settled the game (pace) in an attempt to better dictate the game (your game).

Otherwise, from the footing, field, and cleat concerns, to making errant throws for INTs, to WR's shooting for the deep ball too often (playing catch-up to the score) in the first half...chaos iow, all that can also be attributed to the "slow start" (or, soft start). We were shell-shocked within minutes, they lost the initial battle in setting the tone of the game.

The comeback in the 2nd half was wonderful of course (mainly because we were able to shut down their O), but what can't be ignored is that Carolina moved to a prevent/conservative D, ran a bit more on O, after racking up 31 (and why shouldn't they?). However, the Hawk fan in me (dating back to the kingdome to today) also feels if more time could be had (and believe me we had the opps) they could very well pull off that win. We didn't set the tone today (they did, they won that battle).

btw, this has little to do with "who's a better team". No, this is just a part of the game, part of the match up and the battle we needed to win today.

It's been a very good and entertaining year, we'll be back.

hawkfan1975":1p2qt9ds said:
HawKnPeppa":1p2qt9ds said:
Have you actually watched any of the games this season? .

Yes. All of them.

Are you really replying the Hawks haven't had slow starts this season?

mikeak

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":195op0x5 said:

Google sarcasm. I suggested that it would happen and it did. So then followed by unexpected DOT DOT DOT was meant to communicate not

Sorry should have used the icon I guess. :)

I agree it falls on the team. The only excuse
This week was it takes a lot out of the body to play in negative temperatures.

Latest posts