Birth of the NFL Franchise in Seattle in 1974

chitranak

Reaction score
Greetings, Everyone,

I'm a published author, engaged in research for a new book, about the Seattle Seahawks and I am grateful for any assistance you can give me, concerning an important detail.

Does anyone in our Seattle Seahawk universe know the exact clock-time that NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, signed the papers, on June 4, 1976, which gave an NFL franchise to Seattle?

I read that Rozelle signed the papers, while on-board the U.S.S. Missouri, yet there isn't a time listed, for this important event.

I uncovered the fact that U.S.S. Missouri was moored, at the Puget Sound Navel Shipyard, in Bremerton, WA from 1954 to 1976. So, Mr. Rozelle must have signed the papers there.

Thanks everyone, for any help you can provide
Go Hawks

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I can't tell you what you ask, but I CAN tell you that the Missouri was not dry docked in Bremerton, it was very much afloat and sitting in what was called 'the mothball fleet'. It was in mothballs, meaning it was being preserved for possible future use (which it actually got in the 80's and early 90's). Bremerton used to have a whole bunch of ships in mothballs, now the only one that could truly be said of is the USS Kitty Hawk. The rest of the ships down at that end are decommissioned and awaiting demolition or getting sold to another navy. The dry docks are reserved for active work on ships, whether that's an overhaul or getting cut up into small pieces and recycled.

OP
OP
C

chitranak

Reaction score
Thank you for this correction and for taking time to help me. For 1976, I'll use the word Moored, in my book, as this is a better word and far more accurate.

Latest posts