Bobby Signs 3 Yr/$54 Million Extension!

SeaMeat

Reaction score
Happy for the Seahawks, and very happy for Bobby.

Outstanding player and person. He earned every penny.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1vfq7rab said:
Surprised we got him for less than a 4 year new deal.

The signing bonus and first two years will be guaranteed.

He still had a year on the old deal, so he's locked up for 4 years now. At his age, a 4-year extension at that rate (5 years from now total) would have been a BIG risk. Even including the anticipated adjustments with the next CBA.

McGruff

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1hw2e0lp said:
McGruff":1hw2e0lp said:

He still had a year on the old deal, so he's locked up for 4 years now. At his age, a 4-year extension at that rate (5 years from now total) would have been a BIG risk. Even including the anticipated adjustments with the next CBA.

I agree. It would have been an enormous risk. I actually would've hated it.

But I didn't think Wagner would sign for a 3 year extension. I assumed he would push for more.

sutz

Reaction score
McGruff":8wyxr05x said:
GeekHawk":8wyxr05x said:
McGruff":8wyxr05x said:

I agree. It would have been an enormous risk. I actually would've hated it.

But I didn't think Wagner would sign for a 3 year extension. I assumed he would push for more.
Like I said above, it was a pretty good compromise. He got his $18 mill per and the team minimized their risk, too.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Great news and they got him on a deal that doesn't cripple the franchise . The FO has done well with contracts this off season .

SE174

Reaction score
Good deal for both sides. Bobby gets his due as highest paid LB, team gets 3 year deal to minimize risk with CBA on horizon and Bobby getting up there in age. Doubt SEA would have gone with that high of a percentage guaranteed if it were a 4 year extension. Better bet on him staying healthy and the top of the game for at least two years than three.

Really looking forward to this season. I'm curious to see if the defense takes a big step forward or not now that the biggest 'anti-establishment' personalities from the defense are all gone with the departure of Thomas and Clark.

For the record, I don't think ill of ETIII or Clark, just that they, like Bennett and Sherm, were big personalities that seemed to cultivate a sense of independence and divisiveness between players and the front office instead of working together. #GoHawks!

toffee

Reaction score
Bobby showed us how to get it done, basically:

1. Do not refuse to do what doctor's recommended.
2. Do not run into another team's locker to pimp for new job.
3. Do not finger the one that will sign your contract extension.

Go Hawks.

TwilightError

Reaction score
2012 drafts 2nd and 3rd round produced long time leaders for both sides of the ball. Gotta be one of the best ever back to back picks in NFL history.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Already a top 5 all-time Seahawk, and his ascent up the ranks continues.

xray

Reaction score
Best player on the team stays.

HawkGA

Reaction score
toffee":1wvabdw6 said:

Go Hawks.

#1 . . . Can you explain more?

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":nusrvvu5 said:
toffee":nusrvvu5 said:

Go Hawks.

That's on ET. When he broke his leg the first time, he refused to have a supporting plate installed per doctor recommendation. Doctors said the bone wouldn't heal as strong without the plate. Earl disagreed. Then he broke the same leg again.

:229031_shrug:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I love Bobby, a true leader. And even with all the BS that took place in the news with the LOB bashing Russ and Pete, you NEVER got the sense that Bobby was part of that. A class act, he’s our Ray Lewis and he should retire a Seahawk

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":fnem7lil said:
HawkGA":fnem7lil said:
toffee":fnem7lil said:

Go Hawks.

That's on ET. When he broke his leg the first time, he refused to have a supporting plate installed per doctor recommendation. Doctors said the bone wouldn't heal as strong without the plate. Earl disagreed. Then he broke the same leg again.

:229031_shrug:

Ah, thank you.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
McGruff":52pyx2tr said:

If I'm Wagner I think I'd prefer a 3 year extension to a longer one.

On most deals the guaranteed money doesn't extend past the first three years anyway, so years four and five of the deals are essentially team options, which don't benefit the player at all. If you're not worth the money on year four or five they cut you, and if you're worth more or at the money on them they keep you. Getting to decide if you want a guy or not and not owing him anything guaranteed is always in the best interest of the team.

As for what Wagner will be worth, there's two huge variables there:

(1) The new CBA will come into effect during this deal.
(2) This deal ends right when all the major television contracts have expired in 2022, which I don't think is incidental.

Reading the tea leaves, not being locked under contract and being able to hit the market right after new TV deal money rushes in and under a new CBA is really great for Wagner to try to get one last big contract.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scorpion05":wz5o67tq said:
I love Bobby, a true leader. And even with all the BS that took place in the news with the LOB bashing Russ and Pete, you NEVER got the sense that Bobby was part of that. A class act, he’s our Ray Lewis and he should retire a Seahawk

Bobby and Russ are cut from the same cloth.

Latest posts