Bobby Wagner leads the NFL week 1 in tackles

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Every fan can "fan" however they want. I'm not going to tell people how to see what they think they see, or how to unsee what they think they saw.
But holy s**t........
BWags is at the very least..the very least... SOLID. IMHO, to even point a finger in his direction as being a problem in any way tells me 2 things. Your expectations for anyone on the team is to high. Or you operate on emotion and not football knowledge. If every player on D played their position as well as Bobby plays his, we'd have an absolute dominate defense.
I personally could count on 1 hand other LB's I'd rather have play his position, and I wouldn't need all fingers.
I think that speaks for itself.
But if people wish to look for anything negative with Bobby......go for it. As a fan, you certainly have a right to your opinion.
But he was an issue in pass defense, among many others. The heat passing heat maps show as much. They were hammering the middle of the field. Bobby is an upgrade over Brooks, but his coverage was leaving a lot to be desired.

samwize77

Reaction score
But he was an issue in pass defense, among many others. The heat passing heat maps show as much. They were hammering the middle of the field. Bobby is an upgrade over Brooks, but his coverage was leaving a lot to be desired.
Fair enough. I submit theres not a perfect LB in the league. Every LB can be picked apart if you look at them close enough. As a matter of fact, EVERY player can be picked apart. For s**ts and giggles, please name another LB available to us that would be a better fit than Bobby. I support your views as a fan. I just don't get the "but but but" view point that people have when talking about players. Bobby is a future HOF'mer. He is still an elite LB....even at his age. He gives it his all, ALL of the time. To focus on any negatives when the positives FAR outweigh them...well, just seems silly to me. But again....enjoy the Hawks the way you wish!

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score

How many of those completed passes to the middle of the field were completed in the first 3 seconds of the play? The first 5 seconds? Everything after 5 seconds?

There's 10 other defensive players on the field along with him. What many of those players do directly affect how he performs. If there is a lack of pass rush for instance, the qb will have plenty of time to go through his reads and find that open receiver. Even if Bobby played perfect coverage on a play initially. You can only cover a guy for so long before he eventually gets open. That's a tall order for any mike, let alone one of Bobby's age and ability.

When you're performing the way you should, but others around you aren't, you have to adjust part of your game to compensate. Get some guys in there who can put pressure on the qb, or a dB not named Woolen who can stay with their man, and I guarantee to you you'll see the Bobby we've all come to know and expect.

Edited for spelling*

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I submit theres not a perfect LB in the league. Every LB can be picked apart if you look at them close enough. As a matter of fact, EVERY player can be picked apart. For s**ts and giggles, please name another LB available to us that would be a better fit than Bobby. I support your views as a fan. I just don't get the "but but but" view point that people have when talking about players. Bobby is a future HOF'mer. He is still an elite LB....even at his age. He gives it his all, ALL of the time. To focus on any negatives when the positives FAR outweigh them...well, just seems silly to me. But again....enjoy the Hawks the way you wish!
Yep, and it will never change. To each his/her own, and that's fine.

For years it has been: They won....but. He played well....but. and on and on and oon........

hawkfan68

Reaction score
At least Bobby is making tackles, unlike what we saw last season. I don't ever want to revisit that again. Missed tackles from many of the players. Some of those guys are still on the team this season. If you're a defensive player, you must learn how to tackle as the bare minimum requirement.

renofox

Reaction score
1) Bobby played well.

2) His stats were inflated because the defense was atrocious.

3) Bobby did not play great. He has lost a step and his performance will no longer be at the "great" level that he has displayed throughout his career.

ALL THREE can be (and are) true simultaneously.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Imho W or L is the only stat that matters but good on Bobby. Nice to have him back.

i missed the game due to work. Think I’ll just delete it from the DVR without watching it and start fresh with game 2.

Scout

Reaction score
Over 50% of those 19 tackles resulted in plays of 2 yards or less. This means that Bobby played a huge role in the Rams 2.3 yards per carry.

Sure maybe the pass coverage wasn't great it's foolish to expect Bobby to cover receivers at this point. Forward filling gaps and sacking the QB is what he needs to do. Not sideways or backwards.
Wagz being back helps a lot and people are vastly underestimating his impact. Wagz in coverage against a WR is a mismatch even if he was ten years younger.

Hurtt went to a lot of dime alignments but they still could not stop the Rams passing attack in the middle. That is a schematic/play calling issue and not an issue with Wagz. Wagz is slow in coverage and no denying but he is here to stop the run and that is what he will do.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Not sure in this case that it's a good thing overall. Need his teammates to step up a bit more and help him out.

As I posted elsewhere, they did OK against the run Sunday, but way too many open areas in the pass D.
Yup - wife said exactly the same thing -

“bobby can’t do EVERYTHING!” I believe is what she said.

couple times on the field he was totally gassed, bent over like “gimme a minute”

everyone else needs to step up. Dre’mont anyone?

Polk738

Reaction score

Glad someone posted it because I was about to, you guys seriously have no idea how lucky we are to have Bobby back on this team- he is the biggest reason for them keeping the Rams at 2.6 ypc, watch those clips and you will see that on most of those plays he knows EXACTLY where the run is going, not only that he is a master at shedding blocks something Brooks and Barton couldn't do last season to save thier lives. Yes the defense struggled against the Rams but Bobby isn't the pass rush or the secondary, he can only do so much with the teammates around him.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Glad someone posted it because I was about to, you guys seriously have no idea how lucky we are to have Bobby back on this team- he is the biggest reason for them keeping the Rams at 2.6 ypc, watch those clips and you will see that on most of those plays he knows EXACTLY where the run is going, not only that he is a master at shedding blocks something Brooks and Barton couldn't do last season to save thier lives. Yes the defense struggled against the Rams but Bobby isn't the pass rush or the secondary, he can only do so much with the teammates around him.
If Barton was out there... can't imagine what the defense would have looked like on Sunday.

Lions have a good rushing attack. We're going to need strong run D. Their left tackle is out, but their right tackle looks like a beast. There will be a lot of runs going to that side.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think Wagz played well. Ofc he’s lost a step or two but he’s still as good, or at least close, as most teams #1 LB.

The tackling stat is misleading though…when you’re on Defense 80% of the game, you tend to like those type of stats up.